+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ceremony cancelled administrative error

Anusuna

Jul 29, 2023
Same situation here, I'm applying for me and my daughter, everything on tracker is turned green since sept 17th, I had my In-person oath ceremony on Oct 14th at 8:10am in Mississauga office and on Oct 12th around 5:30pm (less than 48hrs) I got an email cancelling my oath due to "aministrative error", the email said -->do not attend your oath......<-- but I decides to go because I found that email so wrong because it said something like your virtual oath is been cancelled due to administrative error...... ( but
wahat happend then did they took your oath or not

usuario nuevo

Oct 22, 2023
( but mine in first place was in-person ) I went there and lined up, did the first registration and went I reached the 2nd lady she looked for me on the list and right away told me your oath ceremony is cancelled, so she confirmed that and told me it will be re-book it, I asked her if there's something wrong with a document or something and she said no, you're going to get another date soon, then I came here and I can see that there is many people in this situation, I'm feeling so sad and my daughter is asking me so many questions about what happend please guys keep us informed if somebody got an update. Thanks and I wish we all can get thru this soon.

Reactions: nifa87

Anusuna

Jul 29, 2023
( but mine in first place was in-person ) I went there and lined up, did the first registration and went I reached the 2nd lady she looked for me on the list and right away told me your oath ceremony is cancelled, so she confirmed that and told me it will be re-book it, I asked her if there's something wrong with a document or something and she said no, you're going to get another date soon, then I came here and I can see that there is many people in this situation, I'm feeling so sad and my daughter is asking me so many questions about what happend please guys keep us informed if somebody got an update. Thanks and I wish we all can get thru this soon.
Got my answer brother thanks
Hope we all get our ceremony soon

usuario nuevo

Oct 22, 2023
Got my answer brother thanks
Hope we all get our ceremony soon
No worries man, but something is wrong because that day that office was full of people taking the oath, and I could even see our 2 seats empty, this is something else than an administrative error, is my thinking.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
No worries man, but something is wrong because that day that office was full of people taking the oath, and I could even see our 2 seats empty, this is something else than an administrative error, is my thinking.
The administrative error was clearly as to scheduling YOU in particular for the oath. For some, whatever reason, the local office erroneously scheduled you for the oath when your application was not ready for that. OR some necessary task, in processing your application, was expected to be completed by the time of the oath but for some, whatever reason, that task remained pending, so local office could not proceed with the oath.

As you should see from fairly common reporting in this forum, this sort of canceling the oath ceremony is not at all uncommon. Bureaucracies are what bureaucracies do, and especially so for bureaucracies as large and complex as IRCC.

How long it will now be before you actually take the oath is highly variable, varying widely, and is difficult to predict. For some it is not long at all. For others it can be several or even many months. And, of course, if what tipped you out of the queue for the oath involves a significant issue, particularly any requiring "further verifications" or a referral for investigation, the timeline is especially unpredictable and can go fairly long -- good news, however, is the latter is not usually the case UNLESS you are already aware that in your particular situation there is an issue that is potentially problematic. Odds are the glitch is minor and will not delay things much at all, so the length of time to be scheduled for the oath again is mostly about how long applicants are waiting in that queue in that local office. (Remember, most tasks actually take very little time; the processing timeline is overwhelmingly time sitting-in-queue, waiting for an official to do the next task.)

Note: IRCC also schedules some oath ceremonies conditionally, expecting the condition to be met for most (and that was my circumstance, condition was met, so I took the oath as scheduled), cancelling the oath for in those few instances the condition is not met. And sometimes the final GCMS background clearance (done just before the applicant takes the oath, and which includes screening name record criminal history databases derived from RCMP and U.S. NCIC/FBI data) shows a hit indicating a potential prohibition, which will result in the oath being cancelled and further processing to assess prohibitions.

I am not sure how well IRCC distinguishes the various reasons for cancelling an oath in their notice, given the extent to which IRCC employs templates covering many scenarios, leaving applicants to navigate the boilerplate to identify what parts of the notice actually applies to them in particular.

Is IRCC Toying With Applicants?

I have seen some complaints about how unfair this is for applicants, some even suggesting that IRCC is toying with applicants. Of course the latter is ludicrous. But whether the administrative policy/practices that result in these scheduled but abruptly cancelled ceremonies need to be revised to reduce the number affected this way, that is a legitimate question. Other side of this coin is that many applicants (and probably most by a big margin) would likely prefer IRCC to proceed to schedule them for the oath notwithstanding there is some chance they might be among those whose oath is administratively cancelled, recognizing most will proceed to take the oath as scheduled while a relatively few percentage-wise, but adding up to more than a few overall, will be cancelled.

Among those most adversely affected are applicants who have relocated outside Canada, who need to arrange a trip to Canada for the oath, and who will thereby be much inconvenienced if the oath is cancelled. Spoiler-alert: IRCC is not at all likely to revise policy/practices to better accommodate applicants who have relocated abroad.

usuario nuevo

Oct 22, 2023
The administrative error was clearly as to scheduling YOU in particular for the oath. For some, whatever reason, the local office erroneously scheduled you for the oath when your application was not ready for that. OR some necessary task, in processing your application, was expected to be completed by the time of the oath but for some, whatever reason, that task remained pending, so local office could not proceed with the oath.

As you should see from fairly common reporting in this forum, this sort of canceling the oath ceremony is not at all uncommon. Bureaucracies are what bureaucracies do, and especially so for bureaucracies as large and complex as IRCC.

How long it will now be before you actually take the oath is highly variable, varying widely, and is difficult to predict. For some it is not long at all. For others it can be several or even many months. And, of course, if what tipped you out of the queue for the oath involves a significant issue, particularly any requiring "further verifications" or a referral for investigation, the timeline is especially unpredictable and can go fairly long -- good news, however, is the latter is not usually the case UNLESS you are already aware that in your particular situation there is an issue that is potentially problematic. Odds are the glitch is minor and will not delay things much at all, so the length of time to be scheduled for the oath again is mostly about how long applicants are waiting in that queue in that local office. (Remember, most tasks actually take very little time; the processing timeline is overwhelmingly time sitting-in-queue, waiting for an official to do the next task.)

Note: IRCC also schedules some oath ceremonies conditionally, expecting the condition to be met for most (and that was my circumstance, condition was met, so I took the oath as scheduled), cancelling the oath for in those few instances the condition is not met. And sometimes the final GCMS background clearance (done just before the applicant takes the oath, and which includes screening name record criminal history databases derived from RCMP and U.S. NCIC/FBI data) shows a hit indicating a potential prohibition, which will result in the oath being cancelled and further processing to assess prohibitions.

I am not sure how well IRCC distinguishes the various reasons for cancelling an oath in their notice, given the extent to which IRCC employs templates covering many scenarios, leaving applicants to navigate the boilerplate to identify what parts of the notice actually applies to them in particular.

Is IRCC Toying With Applicants?

I have seen some complaints about how unfair this is for applicants, some even suggesting that IRCC is toying with applicants. Of course the latter is ludicrous. But whether the administrative policy/practices that result in these scheduled but abruptly cancelled ceremonies need to be revised to reduce the number affected this way, that is a legitimate question. Other side of this coin is that many applicants (and probably most by a big margin) would likely prefer IRCC to proceed to schedule them for the oath notwithstanding there is some chance they might be among those whose oath is administratively cancelled, recognizing most will proceed to take the oath as scheduled while a relatively few percentage-wise, but adding up to more than a few overall, will be cancelled.

Among those most adversely affected are applicants who have relocated outside Canada, who need to arrange a trip to Canada for the oath, and who will thereby be much inconvenienced if the oath is cancelled. Spoiler-alert: IRCC is not at all likely to revise policy/practices to better accommodate applicants who have relocated abroad.
You are absolutely right my friend, waiting time now is unpredictable, but the big cuestion we all have is why did they send oath ceremony invitations if your application is not ready yet ? on my tracker every single item has turned green and oath ceremony is in progress, when people still have LPP im progress and they receive the oath ceremony invitation, yes right away you know that is an administrative error, it doesn't make any sense to me that they send invitation if there's still something pending.

cvisaquestions

Apr 14, 2022
in my case, i had an interview and we went over the application. The officer said that everything is perfect and the application is approved and that i should wait for my oath. A few days later, i received the date for the oath for the 8th of sep, which was cancelled and no updates since. They didn't even respond to my MP. A little more transparency would be beneficial and i hope some sort of priority is given to applications that have already completed the processing standard of 17 months and had their oath cancelled.