+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cerb

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you clarifying ! However, if a person is receiving the benefit of CERB , can he/she sponsor spouse ?
If you are asking about this you are still planning to incorrectly apply for CERB. There will be consequences if you apply fraudulently for a benefit you are not entitled to.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi scylla,
Question about CERB: Is this individual qualified for CERB?

>Status: TFW, with active SIN and working permit still valid.
>resides in Canada
>earned at least 5,000 for the past 12 months
>currently laid off due to seasonal job (lobster processing); supposed to return to work in May but lobster business is affected by COVID-19, work delayed by a month

Thank you so much.
No because they didn’t lose their job due to covid. They are likely currently on EI.

limits

May 13, 2015
Full details haven't been released yet - so difficult to say. Based on how it's being interpreted by lawyers, etc. - it seems it means physically living in Canada.
Your lawyer is wrong. Its based on tax residency.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
It seems if you can apply you will get the CERB regardless of if you qualify, they might ask you to pay it back eventually so if your situation is dire it might be worth it.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
There are different definitions of residency used by different areas of the government. Nowhere does it state that CERB is based on tax residency, so that is still not something that you can guarantee people.

limits

May 13, 2015
There are different definitions of residency used by different areas of the government. Nowhere does it state that CERB is based on tax residency, so that is still not something that you can guarantee people.
Since the application for CERB is administered via CRA and the application is done on the CRA website, it's quite obvious that one will take CRA's definition of residency, isn't it? CRA's definition of residency = tax residency. Also if you have been paying your fair share of taxes throughout, then its only fair that you should be eligible for this.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Since the application for CERB is administered via CRA and the application is done on the CRA website, it's quite obvious that one will take CRA's definition of residency, isn't it? CRA's definition of residency = tax residency. Also if you have been paying your fair share of taxes throughout, then its only fair that you should be eligible for this.
CERB is purely meant to shore up the Canadian economy. If a person is living abroad it would have little effect on the Canadian economy. The tax residents who live keep the same benefits they have always had. Doesn’t mean they qualify for CERB.

limits

May 13, 2015
CERB is purely meant to shore up the Canadian economy. If a person is living abroad it would have little effect on the Canadian economy. The tax residents who live keep the same benefits they have always had. Doesn’t mean they qualify for CERB.
Nowhere is there any mention of this on the CERB FAQs I have read on the government websites. Heck, there is no mention of this in the CERB Act I linked earlier either. This is your own interpretation of CERB.

There is a $5000 minimum income to be eligible for CERB for which foreign income can be counted as mentioned in the CERB FAQ on the CRA website. If they didn't want Canadian residents living abroad to be eligible for this, they wouldn't have included foreign income.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Nowhere is there any mention of this on the CERB FAQs I have read on the government websites. Heck, there is no mention of this in the CERB Act I linked earlier either. This is your own interpretation of CERB.

There is a $5000 minimum income to be eligible for CERB for which foreign income can be counted as mentioned in the CERB FAQ on the CRA website. If they didn't want Canadian residents living abroad to be eligible for this, they wouldn't have included foreign income.
Many Canadians and PRs make money abroad while living in Canada. Sure the FAQs will be updated eventually but why would it make sense to send money abroad? The benefit was created due to job losses in the Canadian economy and to benefit the Canadian economy. CERB is basically meant to provide some income to those workers in Canada who do not qualify for EI.

Reactions: Qwertypod

limits

May 13, 2015
Many Canadians and PRs make money abroad while living in Canada. Sure the FAQs will be updated eventually but why would it make sense to send money abroad? The benefit was created due to job losses in the Canadian economy and to benefit the Canadian economy. CERB is basically meant to provide some income to those workers in Canada who do not qualify for EI.
I understand what you mean but as the law stands right now, if you go by the eligibility requirements mentioned, there is no requirement to be physically present in Canada. I also doubt the FAQ will be updated now because they have already started accepting applications.

No one is forcing you to apply if you are abroad and you feel you don't deserve it but Canadians abroad are definitely legally eligible to apply as of right now. No idea if this will change in the future but if the Govt doesn't want Canadians abroad to apply, then they need to add that as an eligibility requirement.

Again, I agree with you in principle that it doesn't make sense to send money abroad but that's for the government to decide and put it in their eligibility requirements, not us.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I can see at the end of this situation and the Government starts matching up information on people who applied and should not have , and then enforcement beings , and it will . This website will be flooded with people crying with the typical “ I didn’t know .”Guaranteed

limits

May 13, 2015
I can see at the end of this situation and the Government starts matching up information on people who applied and should not have , and then enforcement beings , and it will . This website will be flooded with people crying with the typical “ I didn’t know .”Guaranteed
Well, if you read the act, they basically made it such that even if someone applies knowingly without meeting eligibility and receives it, there is no penalty or fine. They just have to return it back to government at a future date. So, it essentially becomes an interest-free loan.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Well, if you read the act, they basically made it such that even if someone applies knowingly without meeting eligibility and receives it, there is no penalty or fine. They just have to return it back to government at a future date. So, it essentially becomes an interest-free loan.
This Isn’t an interest free loan. Canada is paying interest on these CERB payments that will trickle down to taxpayers eventually. Those thinking there is no harm filling out CERB since worse comes to worse I have to pay it back, you will eventually pay more when other taxes go up so just don’t apply if you don’t qualify.