+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CERB repayment and sponsorship

Femme38

Dec 23, 2020
Hey guys, my boyfriend took CERB for 5 months with this thought that it also applied to people who COULDN'T find work during Covid. He made over 5000CAD in 2019 but lost his job in December 2019 unrelated to Covid. It was an honest mistake and he actually thought it also included those who couldn't find work which he was constantly trying to look for. Now he has returned the money in full and will pay taxes on it as well. Is this going to impact his ability to sponsor me?

bluffmaster88

Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey guys, my boyfriend took CERB for 5 months with this thought that it also applied to people who COULDN'T find work during Covid. He made over 5000CAD in 2019 but lost his job in December 2019 unrelated to Covid. It was an honest mistake and he actually thought it also included those who couldn't find work which he was constantly trying to look for. Now he has returned the money in full and will pay taxes on it as well. Is this going to impact his ability to sponsor me?
Since he returned the money, it should not be an issue.

Femme38

Dec 23, 2020
Okay but he will have to declare it in the sponsorship evaluation form that he took CERB even though he later returned it. So is that going to impact our application?