+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CERB for PR who worked remotely from the inside Canada

MarlenTleu88

Star Member
Apr 8, 2017
Hello All,
PR who worked for a company which is based outside Canada but who has settled in Canada since February 2020. Status was confirmed as a resident for tax purposes by CRA office. Cant provide ROE letter but the letter from the employer states my position became redundant due to COVID-19 affecting the market and consequent negative business conditions.

Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello All,
PR who worked for a company which is based outside Canada but who has settled in Canada since February 2020. Status was confirmed as a resident for tax purposes by CRA office. Cant provide ROE letter but the letter from the employer states my position became redundant due to COVID-19 affecting the market and consequent negative business conditions.

Thanks!
Don’t believe you qualify for CERB. You are not working for an employer in Canada.

adomanim

Star Member
Dec 28, 2019
So I could be working/ sponsored in the US for ~2 years, in process of a Greencard, waiting, while still holding a Canadian Passport. Then coming back to do taxes & receive funds like CERB ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So I could be working/ sponsored in the US for ~2 years, in process of a Greencard, waiting, while still holding a Canadian Passport. Then coming back to do taxes & receive funds like CERB ?
CERB is no longer available. To qualify for benefits like EI you have to be working in Canada for an employer here. You won't qualify working in the US.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
CERB is no longer available. To qualify for benefits like EI you have to be working in Canada for an employer here. You won't qualify working in the US.
CERB transitioned into the new program effective September 27, to the CRB.
The deadline to apply retroactively for the old CERB is December 2, if you’re ELIGIBLE

The new program CRB was effective September 27

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/cerb-application.html

jclarke99

May 10, 2020
When I bring up the option of using a Professional Employer Organization (PEO) to enable working for a non-Canadian company, while being a Canadian PR, this option tends not to be received favorably. But here's a case where it can be advantageous. Because the PEO acts as a Canadian company, I assume you would be eligible for Canadian EI in the case of being laid off.