+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CERB as visitor

frasts

Aug 23, 2017
Hi all,
can I apply for CERB as a visitor?

Quick summary of my situation:
The pandemic has totally disrupted my work visa application timeline. I worked in Can for two years, then left shortly and came back as tourist for a few weeks (my life and apartment are here, etc). I have a job here in Canada lined up and was planning to go back to Europe, apply for the work permit through the GSS 2 weeks processing (as I did the first time) and come back and start working in May. In the meantime the pandemic happened so I was stuck in Canada for a few months without the possibility to apply. In the summer they finally allowed applications also from within Canada so I applied, and I am waiting now all the months long delays of the visa (they removed the two weeks processing). The money is already there for my salary and we are just waiting for the visa for several months, but I'm stuck here as visitor. So technically all these visa delays are preventing me from getting paid for a job that was starting May 1st.
I realize my situation is long and complicated, but I couldn't find anyone to contact for such a specific inquiry and there is not enough info on the site for my situation.
Thanks for any help!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

The pandemic has totally disrupted my work visa application timeline. I worked in Can for two years, then left shortly and came back as tourist for a few weeks (my life and apartment are here, etc). I have a job here in Canada lined up and was planning to go back to Europe, apply for the work permit through the GSS 2 weeks processing (as I did the first time) and come back and start working in May. In the meantime the pandemic happened so I was stuck in Canada for a few months without the possibility to apply. In the summer they finally allowed applications also from within Canada so I applied, and I am waiting now all the months long delays of the visa (they removed the two weeks processing). The money is already there for my salary and we are just waiting for the visa for several months, but I'm stuck here as visitor. So technically all these visa delays are preventing me from getting paid for a job that was starting May 1st.
I realize my situation is long and complicated, but I couldn't find anyone to contact for such a specific inquiry and there is not enough info on the site for my situation.
Thanks for any help!
You won't qualify as a visitor. Additionally, you don't meet the job loss criteria. You must have lost your job in Canada specifically due to COVID-19. You didn't lose your job in Canada due to COVID-19, rather your work permit process has been delayed as a result of COVID-19. That scenario is not covered under CERB. So short answer is no.

Reactions: torontosm

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi all,

Thanks for any help!
Of course not
There isn’t any information online for your situation because government benefits wouldn’t apply to you. Your worker relationship ended when your permit ended
Have you reached out your home country as to what covid benefits are possible for their citizens?

Last edited:
Reactions: torontosm

frasts

Aug 23, 2017
Thanks both for your reply, I imagined that was the case but I thought I'd give it a shot as I'm unemployed due to visa delays caused by the pandemic, and my own country government doesn't provide benefits for my situation.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks both for your reply, I imagined that was the case but I thought I'd give it a shot as I'm unemployed due to visa delays caused by the pandemic, and my own country government doesn't provide benefits for my situation.
Sorry for your situation. Hopefully the work permit comes through soon!