+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CERB and PR application

conor_burns

Apr 5, 2020
I have a time-sensitive question I was hoping you all could help with? I am currently in canada on an IEC open work permit (2 yrs working holiday). My manager has laid me off using a new payroll code that says he will still be my employer when the pandemic is over... and he has told me to apply for the CERB (federal assistance) tomorrow morning. He said it should not affect my partner (Canadian citizen, quebec resident) from sponsoring me for PR through the common law sponsorship class. But for sponsorship the government website says that the person being sponsored should not be receiving social assistance from the government. Do you have any idea if applying for the CERB tomorrow will affect my eventual PR application that we will submit in May? I hope you are having a great weekend:)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have a time-sensitive question I was hoping you all could help with? I am currently in canada on an IEC open work permit (2 yrs working holiday). My manager has laid me off using a new payroll code that says he will still be my employer when the pandemic is over... and he has told me to apply for the CERB (federal assistance) tomorrow morning. He said it should not affect my partner (Canadian citizen, quebec resident) from sponsoring me for PR through the common law sponsorship class. But for sponsorship the government website says that the person being sponsored should not be receiving social assistance from the government. Do you have any idea if applying for the CERB tomorrow will affect my eventual PR application that we will submit in May? I hope you are having a great weekend:)
CERB shouldn’t be considered social assistance.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
It is the sponsor that is not allowed to be on welfare. The app doesn't ask about the applicant being on welfare. Anyways, CERB isn't welfare.