+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Centennial College English &/or Math test placement purposes on arrival

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
Hello,

My brother-in-law got accepted to Centennial College. He got his English proficiency exempted because he graduated from a 4 year university course at a english speaking university.

I see on the acceptance letter that he will need to take a english and/or math test upon arrival.

My question is, what happens if he does not meet the minimum requirements for the english test? how will this effect his visa status etc? will they just put him in a esl course or something before he can start his main studies? If that is the case what are we looking at as far as visa status?

I see that they might place him in a English Language Learning course, does he take that while taking his networking course, or before?

Thanks

Last edited:

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Hello,

My brother-in-law got accepted to Centennial College. He got his English proficiency exempted because he graduated from a 4 year university course at a english speaking university.

I see on the acceptance letter that he will need to take a english and/or math test upon arrival.

My question is, what happens if he does not meet the minimum requirements for the english test? how will this effect his visa status etc? will they just put him in a esl course or something before he can start his main studies? If that is the case what are we looking at as far as visa status?

I see that they might place him in a English Language Learning course, does he take that while taking his networking course, or before?

Thanks
You should really consult your school about the process. No one here can tell you what Centennial college will require you to do

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
You should really consult your school about the process. No one here can tell you what Centennial college will require you to do
Thanks, I am going to contact them tomorrow but just wanted to see if anyone has gone through the process and can comment. there must be hundreds of people on here that have applied and taken these tests at centennial

JoshuaFraser

Oct 9, 2022
If he does not meet the minimum requirements for the english test then he will not be able to register for the course. This will affect his visa so he may be unable to enroll in another course until his visa is approved.