+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Celpip writting format

shorty8118

Feb 21, 2019
My wife and i are both English and reasonably well educated, however my wife is struggling to get past an 8 on her written part of the Celpip exam. Her results where L11,R12, W8, S9. Mine were L10, R12, W9, S12.

We have consulted a exam marker and they believe where she is going wrong is the format that she is using for her answer. They have said that when you reply to the survey you should add an address and date ect like you would on a formal letter. They have given her a couple of other ways of tweaking the wording ect but nothing major.

Could people that got a 9 or above please shed some light on it? I believe I added the address ect but I can't really remember.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hopeful007

Feb 16, 2019
My wife and i are both English and reasonably well educated, however my wife is struggling to get past an 8 on her written part of the Celpip exam. Her results where L11,R12, W8, S9. Mine were L10, R12, W9, S12.

We have consulted a exam marker and they believe where she is going wrong is the format that she is using for her answer. They have said that when you reply to the survey you should add an address and date ect like you would on a formal letter. They have given her a couple of other ways of tweaking the wording ect but nothing major.

Could people that got a 9 or above please shed some light on it? I believe I added the address ect but I can't really remember.

Why don't you guys just take IELTS? Natives get maximum usually with a bit of preparation. CELPIP sucks big time.

shorty8118

Feb 21, 2019
Why don't you guys just take IELTS? Natives get maximum usually with a bit of preparation. CELPIP sucks big time.
We were going to try the other test but thought we would give this one more try.

Why do you think Native get better points to IELTS?

Hopeful007

Feb 16, 2019
We were going to try the other test but thought we would give this one more try.

Why do you think Native get better points to IELTS?
Because there's something going on with CELPIP. They are trying to squeeze as much as possible from each applicant. I think they understood that the jig is up.

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
Ignore any posters making unsubstantiated claims.

I'm a native speaker. I took the CELPIP. I did score an 8 on the writing at first but asked for a re-evaluation and received a 10. The writing style that they look for includes using a strong variety of (properly used) vocabulary and complex sentences, as well as breaking your text up into "paragraph" format such that there is a clear introduction, middle, and conclusion. I suspect that I initially received an 8 because I did not break up one of the writing tasks into clear paragraphs. The structure was there, I had just failed to differentiate it. I wrote the other assignment (an email) exactly as I would write it at work.

Interestingly, longer responses (edging closer to the 200 word limit) tend to score higher on all sorts of standardized exams. The same seems to be true for the CELPIP. Food for thought. :)

I have criticized their extremely short writing sections in the past for not collecting enough of a writing sample to really show the difference between the higher levels (8-12), so I do empathize with this. Have you looked into having a re-evaluation done? With re-evaluations, your score never decreases (it will only remain the same or increase) and they refund the fee if they find in your favor.

shorty8118

Feb 21, 2019

I'm a native speaker. I took the CELPIP. I did score an 8 on the writing at first but asked for a re-evaluation and received a 10. The writing style that they look for includes using a strong variety of (properly used) vocabulary and complex sentences, as well as breaking your text up into "paragraph" format such that there is a clear introduction, middle, and conclusion. I suspect that I initially received an 8 because I did not break up one of the writing tasks into clear paragraphs. The structure was there, I had just failed to differentiate it. I wrote the other assignment (an email) exactly as I would write it at work.

Interestingly, longer responses (edging closer to the 200 word limit) tend to score higher on all sorts of standardized exams. The same seems to be true for the CELPIP. Food for thought. :)

I have criticized their extremely short writing sections in the past for not collecting enough of a writing sample to really show the difference between the higher levels (8-12), so I do empathize with this. Have you looked into having a re-evaluation done? With re-evaluations, your score never decreases (it will only remain the same or increase) and they refund the fee if they find in your favor.
We have asked for a re-evaluation but the score stayed the same. We are going to give it another go with my wife tweaking her sentences, trying to use more complex vocabulary and adding a formal header to the question.

Its so strange as her writing is much better than mine but i managed to get a 9.

jags12

Feb 11, 2019
Hello, Can you please tell me how did you prepare for the test. Thanks

shorty8118

Feb 21, 2019

Coukd you please see the image below and see if this is how you wrote to get an 10?
We have been told it’s more like a 8. I got a 9 and I didn’t write like this.
Any help would be appreciated.