+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CELPIP VS IELTS - Proven by Result

Andrew2016

Star Member
Apr 13, 2016
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So there are many experts advising you as to which one is better/easier than the other, but let me set the record straight by sharing my results in both the exams.

The reason why I rewrote the exam is just to improve my score under the Express Entry. I think of my skills as average and most of the exams I wrote was while working full-time and with less than 3 days of preparation. CELPIP uses a different scale exactly similar Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) so I will tell you what was my IELTS worth in terms of CLB scale which Express Entry accepts. FYI if your score is a CLB 9 (IELTS L - 8, R - 7, W - 7, S - 7) or above your express entry score really gets boosted.

I took the exam 3 times each at different occasions with in the last 1 - 1.5 year just to achieve an overall CLB 9 score and above. I have added the info below.

1) IELTS 01-AUG- 2015
L - 6.5, R - 5.5, W - 6.5, S - 7.5 i.e (CLB scale conversion L - 7, R - 6, W - 8, S - 10)

First time I wrote the exam, found it to confusing as I did not prepare much for this.

2) IELTS 12 -SEP- 2015
L - 8.0, R - 7.5, W - 6.5, S - 7.5 i.e (CLB scale conversion L - 9, R - 9, W - 8, S - 10)

Went in with much more required preparations, tried as hard as I can, Damn writing got me off guard, if I would have got 7 in writing my score would have boosted and I would have to never write CELPIP.

3) CELPIP 07 -NOV- 2015
L - 12, R - 7, W - 7, S - 10

My friend introduced me to CELPIP, we tried the free test, we loved the listening, reading and speaking session. We thought we easily excel in this. Turns out we did not change anything.

4) CELPIP 19 -DEC- 2015
L - 11, R - 12, W - 8, S - 8

For this one me and my friend shared the CELPIP-General online practise 3 test set (CAD $75) was expensive, but we still couldn't crack the writing. Speaking score fell due to them introducing an additional part 8 which was very underdeveloped. it was something really random to locate a boat and talk about it. I had no idea what they were referring about, I knew I messed up speaking part.

5) CELPIP 23 -APR- 2016
L - 10, R - 10, W - 8, S - 8

By now I knew for a fact that me doing anything would not change my score and gave up at this point, waited till JAN 2017 to receive an invite with my second attempted IELTS score. To my surprise after I got the invite they asked me to use the latest score. I was heart broken again, decided to decline the invite and one last time write IELTS.

6) IELTS 16 -FEB- 2017
L - 8.0, R - 8.5, W - 7.0, S - 8.5 i.e (CLB scale conversion L - 9, R - 11, W - 9, S - 11)

This was my best attempt so far, studied for it for a week with full determination and thought about how I will get kicked out of CANADA soon. My Express Entry score sky rocketed :)

My analysis, write IELTS don't debate between these two. My reasoning? Its is simple CELPIP is still in its developing stages, 2 categories where they can really control is writing and speaking hence they marking is really hard. Other categories (Reading and Listening) they cant control the answers, there is no grey it either right or wrong. IELTS on the other hand is developed and they mark everyone equally, they don't have to prove their legitimacy that there are a standard international exam, celpip need to do that!

Few other tips, write IELTS in a place where they are less people and preferably different nationality then you are, this in my experience really helps change things up for speaking. This might sound crazy, but you doing excellent from good has a lot to do with luck too. I wrote my last exam at William International School Toronto, less people and they have big tables where you really feel comfortable when it comes to writing. I don't think it has anything to do with my sudden knowledge for grammar or English vocabulary.

Good luck Everyone!

Links for what I spoke about.
http://ieltscanadatest.com/test-results/ielts-and-clb/
Check your score here - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

Hope this helps you taking a wiser decision when selecting one of the two.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Thanks for sharing your experience. I would also recommend IELTS. I haven't taken any CELPIP exams but have tried practice ones online and realised it wasn't for me.

Jeegaar

Jun 1, 2017
So there are many experts advising you as to which one is better/easier than the other, but let me set the record straight by sharing my results in both the exams.

The reason why I rewrote the exam is just to improve my score under the Express Entry. I think of my skills as average and most of the exams I wrote was while working full-time and with less than 3 days of preparation. CELPIP uses a different scale exactly similar Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) so I will tell you what was my IELTS worth in terms of CLB scale which Express Entry accepts. FYI if your score is a CLB 9 (IELTS L - 8, R - 7, W - 7, S - 7) or above your express entry score really gets boosted.

I took the exam 3 times each at different occasions with in the last 1 - 1.5 year just to achieve an overall CLB 9 score and above. I have added the info below.

1) IELTS 01-AUG- 2015
L - 6.5, R - 5.5, W - 6.5, S - 7.5 i.e (CLB scale conversion L - 7, R - 6, W - 8, S - 10)

First time I wrote the exam, found it to confusing as I did not prepare much for this.

2) IELTS 12 -SEP- 2015
L - 8.0, R - 7.5, W - 6.5, S - 7.5 i.e (CLB scale conversion L - 9, R - 9, W - 8, S - 10)

Went in with much more required preparations, tried as hard as I can, Damn writing got me off guard, if I would have got 7 in writing my score would have boosted and I would have to never write CELPIP.

3) CELPIP 07 -NOV- 2015

My friend introduced me to CELPIP, we tried the free test, we loved the listening, reading and speaking session. We thought we easily excel in this. Turns out we did not change anything.

4) CELPIP 19 -DEC- 2015

For this one me and my friend shared the CELPIP-General online practise 3 test set (CAD $75) was expensive, but we still couldn't crack the writing. Speaking score fell due to them introducing an additional part 8 which was very underdeveloped. it was something really random to locate a boat and talk about it. I had no idea what they were referring about, I knew I messed up speaking part.

5) CELPIP 23 -APR- 2016

By now I knew for a fact that me doing anything would not change my score and gave up at this point, waited till JAN 2017 to receive an invite with my second attempted IELTS score. To my surprise after I got the invite they asked me to use the latest score. I was heart broken again, decided to decline the invite and one last time write IELTS.

6) IELTS 16 -FEB- 2017
L - 8.0, R - 8.5, W - 7.0, S - 8.5 i.e (CLB scale conversion L - 9, R - 11, W - 9, S - 11)

This was my best attempt so far, studied for it for a week with full determination and thought about how I will get kicked out of CANADA soon. My Express Entry score sky rocketed :)

My analysis, write IELTS don't debate between these two. My reasoning? Its is simple CELPIP is still in its developing stages, 2 categories where they can really control is writing and speaking hence they marking is really hard. Other categories (Reading and Listening) they cant control the answers, there is no grey it either right or wrong. IELTS on the other hand is developed and they mark everyone equally, they don't have to prove their legitimacy that there are a standard international exam, celpip need to do that!

Few other tips, write IELTS in a place where they are less people and preferably different nationality then you are, this in my experience really helps change things up for speaking. This might sound crazy, but you doing excellent from good has a lot to do with luck too. I wrote my last exam at William International School Toronto, less people and they have big tables where you really feel comfortable when it comes to writing. I don't think it has anything to do with my sudden knowledge for grammar or English vocabulary.

Good luck Everyone!

Check your score here - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

Hi Andrew,
Facing a similar situation like yours. Could you give me an insight on your 1 week study plan and the materials you referred ?

Reactions: lolita_1980

shaishta

Oct 31, 2017
Hi,
Can someone please advice me on what shall I do?
Let me tell u my story, I appeared for IELTS from IDP 3 times here in Dubai. My scores are as below:
3-June-2017
L-8, S-8,R-9, W-6.5
I applied for re-check in writing , but the result remained UNCHANGED.

to improve my CRS points I re-appeared in IELTS but rather it decreased.

18-Aug-2017
L-7, S-8,R-8,W-6

another attempt 14-Oct-2017
L-8,S-8,R-6.5,W-6.5
It was really a big surprise and frustrating for me as I did really well in Writing and reading section. And I really wonder how IELTS evaluate paper.

Now I heard about CELPIP, but I'm not sure if I should go for it.
Also can you please suggest if IELTS IDP is better or British Council, in case I go for IELTS.

I'm really frustrated and it's so disappointing to see these results. I'm a Full time employee and a home maker, I don't get more than 1 hr to dedicate daily for my study. I tried and had put all my efforts to make it thru, but IELTS is really testing my patience.

Thank You

ozoozo

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017

1) IELTS 01-AUG- 2015

2) IELTS 12 -SEP- 2015

3) CELPIP 07 -NOV- 2015

4) CELPIP 19 -DEC- 2015

5) CELPIP 23 -APR- 2016

6) IELTS 16 -FEB- 2017

Good luck Everyone!

Sorry i cannkt get u ....how the CIC insist to use ur last score? I know that u have the right to use the higher score as u wish unless it is valid during 2 years...am i right?

iamhammad

Oct 14, 2017
Hi,
Can someone please advice me on what shall I do?
Let me tell u my story, I appeared for IELTS from IDP 3 times here in Dubai. My scores are as below:
3-June-2017
L-8, S-8,R-9, W-6.5
I applied for re-check in writing , but the result remained UNCHANGED.

to improve my CRS points I re-appeared in IELTS but rather it decreased.

18-Aug-2017
L-7, S-8,R-8,W-6

another attempt 14-Oct-2017
L-8,S-8,R-6.5,W-6.5
It was really a big surprise and frustrating for me as I did really well in Writing and reading section. And I really wonder how IELTS evaluate paper.

Now I heard about CELPIP, but I'm not sure if I should go for it.
Also can you please suggest if IELTS IDP is better or British Council, in case I go for IELTS.

I'm really frustrated and it's so disappointing to see these results. I'm a Full time employee and a home maker, I don't get more than 1 hr to dedicate daily for my study. I tried and had put all my efforts to make it thru, but IELTS is really testing my patience.

Thank You
Hi Shaishta, I’ve heard better reviews of IDP so planning to attempt in Jan.
Did u decide to retake the test recently? How was your experience? I’m in a similar situation as yours and not able to really focus on preparing.

ajeet.ims

Star Member
Jul 3, 2017
Canada
Do not take CELPIP if you are not a native speaker. I had a very unfortunate experience with CELPIP. In both of my attempts, I scored 10+ in LRW however for speaking I got only 6. My speaking did not go well in first attempt and I was expecting 8 but got 6, that's still fine. However I did much better in my second speaking attempt and was confident to get a 9, but unfortunately they gave me 6 again. This was completely shocking to me. I realized that CELPIP speaking is a lot easier for native speakers but very difficulty for people from countries other than US/Canada. I am preparing for IELTS now and hope to score better than CELPIP.

ajeet.ims

Star Member
Jul 3, 2017
Canada
Hi All, I got my IELTS results today and here are the scores.

CELPIP 1st Attempt - L10 R8 W8 S6 - Applied eevaluation in Speaking, no change
CELPIP 2nd Attempt - L8 R10 W8 S6 - Applied eevaluation in Speaking, no change

IELTS 1st Attempt - L7.5 R9 W7 S7.5

Conclusion: Go for IELTS.

Last edited:

rclmont

Star Member
Apr 18, 2018
Guys, I took both CELPIP and IELTS 2 times each for the last 2 months. Here are my results:

CELPIP 1st attempt (April 21st):
L12 R12 W9 S8

IELTS 1st attempt (May 12th):
L8.5 R9 W6.5 S8

CELPIP 2nd attempt (May 26th):
L9 R12 W8 S7

IELTS 2nd attempt (June 2nd):
L8 R8 W8.5 S8

Honestly, IELTS has a fairer evaluation than CELPIP.
However, I had to ask for a reevaluation on Speaking for this last IELTS exam, in which they gave me a 6.5 at first (it made no sense at all), but the reevaluation was successful. Both exams evaluations have their problems, but if you feel like you really deserve a better score - go for a reevaluation! On IELTS it is more likely to have a positive result.

nns14

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Nairobi, Kenya
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-09-2019
AOR Received.
26-09-2019
File Transfer...
24-10-2019
Passport Req..
18-Jul-2022
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2022
LANDED..........
11-Jan-2023
Guys, I took both CELPIP and IELTS 2 times each for the last 2 months. Here are my results:

CELPIP 1st attempt (April 21st):
L12 R12 W9 S8

IELTS 1st attempt (May 12th):
L8.5 R9 W6.5 S8

CELPIP 2nd attempt (May 26th):
L9 R12 W8 S7

IELTS 2nd attempt (June 2nd):
L8 R8 W8.5 S8

Honestly, IELTS has a fairer evaluation than CELPIP.
However, I had to ask for a reevaluation on Speaking for this last IELTS exam, in which they gave me a 6.5 at first (it made no sense at all), but the reevaluation was successful. Both exams evaluations have their problems, but if you feel like you really deserve a better score - go for a reevaluation! On IELTS it is more likely to have a positive result.
Thank you.

Would you please share with me CELPIP practice materials?

Reactions: rclmont

rclmont

Star Member
Apr 18, 2018
Thank you.

Would you please share with me CELPIP practice materials?
Hey, I dont have practice materials anymore. The ones I purchased expired.
I recommend you to check MadTv English on youtube. He explains a lot of stuff pretty well. Why don’t you try IELTS though?

Reactions: lolita_1980

nns14

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Nairobi, Kenya
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-09-2019
AOR Received.
26-09-2019
File Transfer...
24-10-2019
Passport Req..
18-Jul-2022
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2022
LANDED..........
11-Jan-2023
Hey, I dont have practice materials anymore. The ones I purchased expired.
I recommend you to check MadTv English on youtube. He explains a lot of stuff pretty well. Why don’t you try IELTS though?
I am sick and tired of IELTS. 30th June will be my fifth attempt. I keep getting CLB10 in LRS but CLB8 in writing. I frequently travel to Dubai so thinking if I don't make on my fifth attempt (or 4th attempt which is under EOR), I will go with CELPIP. I am little bit worried, lazy to try a new test format like CELPIP which is why I kept on trying IELTS; I am much more comfortable speaking with a human than a computer but the rest of the modules I would prefer CELPIP.

rclmont

Star Member
Apr 18, 2018
I am sick and tired of IELTS. 30th June will be my fifth attempt. I keep getting CLB10 in LRS but CLB8 in writing. I frequently travel to Dubai so thinking if I don't make on my fifth attempt (or 4th attempt which is under EOR), I will go with CELPIP. I am little bit worried, lazy to try a new test format like CELPIP which is why I kept on trying IELTS; I am much more comfortable speaking with a human than a computer but the rest of the modules I would prefer CELPIP.
Can you share with us your past marks on each category of IELTS?

nns14

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Nairobi, Kenya
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-09-2019
AOR Received.
26-09-2019
File Transfer...
24-10-2019
Passport Req..
18-Jul-2022
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2022
LANDED..........
11-Jan-2023
Can you share with us your past marks on each category of IELTS?
LRWS
3rd March: 8.5, 7, 6, 6.5
7th April: 7.5, 6.5, 6, 7
21st April: 7.5, 8, 6, 8
2nd June: 8.5, 8.5, 6.5, 7.5 (Requested EOR)