+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CELPIP Listening Test - English-Born Candidate in Need of Advice

JohnZe

Oct 13, 2016
Hello All,

I'm hoping someone can provide me with some advice.

I was born in England, did very well at school (especially in both English Language and English Literature), went to a very good English university and have been working as a professional ever since. The last few years I've worked in Canada under a Working Holiday Visa, however it is expiring early next year so I want to apply for Permanent Residency (PR).

Obviously communicating in English is not an issue for me, I'm an educated Englishman, however I have a serious issue with my short term memory. It does not impact me day to day or professionally as I've developed competent coping mechanisms to deal with it, however these mechanisms do not work in artificial settings such as this.

This issue however is causing me to fail the listening portion of these tests. I did the IELTS test a little while back and failed (I scored highly in reading, writing and speaker) due to my inability to perform on the listening section. For that reason I opted for the CELPIP as I thought that maybe a slightly different test structure would help, however I’m finding the opposite.

The CELPIP listening test is more reliant on memory recall than then IELTS one, I’m literally having to guess at the answers in certain sections and it is causing me to fail miserably. This goes to show that the listening section tests memory recall ability more so than it is does one’s ability to understand spoken English, an obvious design flaw.

If anyone has any help or advice I’d greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well if this is some kind of medical condition maybe you could fill a special accommodations form so they can help you in some way.

For the CELPIP you are given couple blank sheets, maybe you should practice writing notes during the listening section so you can look back at them when you answer the questions.

Cheers,