+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CELPIP-General - What score needed to qualify for LCP?

lucybear05

Star Member
Mar 17, 2012
Does anyone know what the minimum scoring requirements are, based on a CELPIP-General test, for the LCP?

Our proposed nanny took the CELPIP-General (we are in Edmonton and this is the only offical testing available in Edmonton). She has been in Canada for 4 years and I e-mail, text and talk with her all the time. She clearly has good functional skills in English in all areas. But she was very nervous when she wrote the test. I found a posting on the CIC website, telling you how to convert her scores into a single "number" used by CIC. Her "number" is 7. Is this a high enough number? She had at least "developing proficiency" in everything, and in some she scored higher than this.

Any advise much appreciated!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Am not aware that there is an exam for LCPs. Requirement is ability to communicate in one of Canada's official languages, meaning, English or French.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/caregiver/apply-who.asp

lucybear05 said:
Does anyone know what the minimum scoring requirements are, based on a CELPIP-General test, for the LCP?

Our proposed nanny took the CELPIP-General (we are in Edmonton and this is the only offical testing available in Edmonton). She has been in Canada for 4 years and I e-mail, text and talk with her all the time. She clearly has good functional skills in English in all areas. But she was very nervous when she wrote the test. I found a posting on the CIC website, telling you how to convert her scores into a single "number" used by CIC. Her "number" is 7. Is this a high enough number? She had at least "developing proficiency" in everything, and in some she scored higher than this.

Any advise much appreciated!

lucybear05

Star Member
Mar 17, 2012
OK thanks. The application requires "evidence" of language ability in French or English. The nanny we want to hire told me that her friend - in the same situation as her a year ago - hired an immigration lawyer when she was trying to get into the LCP, and that immigration lawyer told her that satisfactory "evidence" would require the language test. So she wrote it. What a shame if she paid over $300 when she didn't even need to take the test. She didn't know how else to provide "evidence" satisfactory to CIC that she could speak, read and write English well.

maricar.lala

Apr 2, 2011
hello,

As far as I know, reference letters from previous employers stating how good she is with the English language will be good enough as proof of her English proficiency. The fact that she has already been working here in Canada for 4 years would mean that she's able to communicate in English.

@jobseeker- is there any other documents that can be provided as evidence of English proficiency without taking any language test and aside from the ones I've mentioned above?

thank you.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Normally an officer would ask for an interview if they have doubts on the app (language, job qualification). And if the applicant has been in Canada as a TFW then there should be no question on the ability to speak in any of the two official languages unless she has been using sign language all these four years :)

maricar.lala said:
hello,

As far as I know, reference letters from previous employers stating how good she is with the English language will be good enough as proof of her English proficiency. The fact that she has already been working here in Canada for 4 years would mean that she's able to communicate in English.

@ jobseeker- is there any other documents that can be provided as evidence of English proficiency without taking any language test and aside from the ones I've mentioned above?

thank you.

maricar.lala

Apr 2, 2011
@jobseeker LOL, or body language? just kiddin. yes, that's what I thought, they might do a phone or personal interview. I am submitting my application to Buffalo next week for the LCP. Hopefully, things would work out for me (and for the rest of the nannies out there who will do the same). by the way, if I may ask, would a reference letter and payslips be sufficient as proof of work experience as a nanny? please advise. thank you.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
If you have a contract that states your duties and responsibilities send it too.

maricar.lala said:
@ jobseeker LOL, or body language? just kiddin. yes, that's what I thought, they might do a phone or personal interview. I am submitting my application to Buffalo next week for the LCP. Hopefully, things would work out for me (and for the rest of the nannies out there who will do the same). by the way, if I may ask, would a reference letter and payslips be sufficient as proof of work experience as a nanny? please advise. thank you.