+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cellular Data Plans

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
If you are new in Canada get on a prepaid network (such as Public Mobile). It has great plans (relatively) and good coverage (as it is owned by TELUS). Moreover there would be promotions such as 25$ referral credits for both, $10 discount for 6 months etc. Some of the plans are 3G, however you won't much of a difference in speed unless you are tethering.

Next wait for offers from Koodo (TELUS other flanker brand) asking you to migrate to postpaid. Wait for the right offer and jump. I am on a $40 plan with 8GB data which by Canadian standards is very cheap.
I also got an offer to add 10GB for 15 $. Which makes my plan 18GB for 55$ which is again cheap by Canadian standards.

The trick here is to keep looking for deals and jump ship when you see one. And I would never recommend contracts unless you truly want a phone you cannot afford.
Thank you very helpful.

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
To understand why cell phone cost more in Canada : As compared to US, Canada has a bigger land area 9.98 SqKM vs US 9..5sqKM with only a 10th in population. So the key here is a volume of people that the companies have to work with, in order to be profitable and adhere to government regulations to keep towers in towns where the population is in few hundreds. Our north is sparsely populated, but the telecom companies have to install a tower in every town to give Canadians services.

Having said that Australia is similar sized with (7.6SqKMs) and fewer population, and have one of the cheapest cellular plans. The only explanation here is competition. CRTC do not welcome more competition and hence prices are always high.

I think with 5G coming and more thirst for data, eventually Canadian telecoms would be forced to provide unlimited plans (just like how Home Internet is mostly unlimited now). It is inevitable and telecoms would start offering cheaper data.

5 years ago, unlimited calls was a premium plan feature, now it exists in the basic plans. I think this would be case with data as well.

Disclaimer: I used to work for TELECOM company.

Reactions: kanu

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
To understand why cell phone cost more in Canada : As compared to US, Canada has a bigger land area 9.98 SqKM vs US 9..5sqKM with only a 10th in population. So the key here is a volume of people that the companies have to work with, in order to be profitable and adhere to government regulations to keep towers in towns where the population is in few hundreds. Our north is sparsely populated, but the telecom companies have to install a tower in every town to give Canadians services.

Having said that Australia is similar sized with (7.6SqKMs) and fewer population, and have one of the cheapest cellular plans. The only explanation here is competition. CRTC do not welcome more competition and hence prices are always high.

I think with 5G coming and more thirst for data, eventually Canadian telecoms would be forced to provide unlimited plans (just like how Home Internet is mostly unlimited now). It is inevitable and telecoms would start offering cheaper data.

5 years ago, unlimited calls was a premium plan feature, now it exists in the basic plans. I think this would be case with data as well.

What you shared actually makes so much sense!! I was wondering why the data is freakishly expensive compared to UK.

So what would you suggest would be an ideal plan for unlimited calling and texts? I was initially planning on exchanging my old phone there but now I will probably just land with a new phone there.

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
What you shared actually makes so much sense!! I was wondering why the data is freakishly expensive compared to UK.

So what would you suggest would be an ideal plan for unlimited calling and texts? I was initially planning on exchanging my old phone there but now I will probably just land with a new phone there.
The cheapest option would be prepaid for unlimited calling and texts. If you are planning to get a phone, then look for flanker brands such as Koodo, Fido where the tab is separate from the plan which will help you move to better plans when it is available.

Reactions: SithLord

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
The cheapest option would be prepaid for unlimited calling and texts. If you are planning to get a phone, then look for flanker brands such as Koodo, Fido where the tab is separate from the plan which will help you move to better plans when it is available.
One more question, sorry, can a new landed immigrant will be able to get a new phone without having to pay huge amount upfront?

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
One more question, sorry, can a new landed immigrant will be able to get a new phone without having to pay huge amount upfront?
Getting a phone on contract requires credit check (as you are basically buying your phone on credit). You would be eligible for any market offers as long as you clear the credit check.

Reactions: SithLord

rj16

Star Member
May 19, 2015
New Jersey, USA
Visa Office......
Vancouver
NOC Code......
Is it feasible to carry over US cell phone plan and use it in Canada for long time? As far as I know, I don't get charged roaming fees on my Verizon Wireless unlimited talk/text/data plan..

Ashtush

Apr 7, 2017

Fella , How much home broadband cost ??

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
Fella , How much home broadband cost ??
I pay 40$ for 500MBPS unlimited Rogers. You need to follow redflagdeals forums to get an understanding of prevailing deals on Rogers and Bell and switch .

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
Is it feasible to carry over US cell phone plan and use it in Canada for long time? As far as I know, I don't get charged roaming fees on my Verizon Wireless unlimited talk/text/data plan..
I think many folks do as it is cheaper. But I've read that AT&T needs the cellphone to connect to their tower once every month (or so) for the roaming plan to be active. Which means you may not get more than 1 month of continuous service.

CalgaryWorker

Feb 27, 2017
I’ve used Virgin, then Koodo, then Fido, now I’m back with Koodo - they have had the best overall experience for me.

Koodo often have ‘sales’ by adding a couple of gig of data to their plans every now and again, but location makes a difference - the geography of your network as well as the province price. I’m in Quebec (much cheapness) and possibly moving to BC (not cheap) so there is a game of sorts to consider in trying to keep that price plan. Not easy.

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
I’ve used Virgin, then Koodo, then Fido, now I’m back with Koodo - they have had the best overall experience for me.

Koodo often have ‘sales’ by adding a couple of gig of data to their plans every now and again, but location makes a difference - the geography of your network as well as the province price. I’m in Quebec (much cheapness) and possibly moving to BC (not cheap) so there is a game of sorts to consider in trying to keep that price plan. Not easy.
How is Fido, I'm actually considering them when I move to BC

CalgaryWorker

Feb 27, 2017
They are through Rogers and I found them to be very slow with data, hence going back to Koodo.

I read a review saying that although Rogers made some advertising claim about their network, suggesting they were super fast, it was not the case... and if you read what they wrote, it didn’t specifically state that they were fast.

Word play?