+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cell phone suggestions

DC888

Star Member
May 22, 2020
Hello there. I am currently quarantining in Canada after recently becoming a PR. I have been looking into getting a mobile phone contract, after I have set up a bank account and hopefully obtained a SIN. I gather the big 3 will run a credit check before giving you a contract and I also gather that the smaller ones will also do a credit check if you want a phone as part of the plan (they won't if is just for a sim card). Is this all correct, so my only option is to use my UK phone and put a new sim card in for now?

I am doing this as I want to build my credit score, I won't use the phone apart from for the odd call to Canada - speaking to Canadian companies etc, until I move our here permanently next year (by that time I am hoping to have built up some credit history). One thought I had was that if I could get a decent phone as part of the plan (as mine is pretty old now) at least I will have a better phone I can use for photo's / video / social media etc in the meantime. But may have to rethink.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello there. I am currently quarantining in Canada after recently becoming a PR. I have been looking into getting a mobile phone contract, after I have set up a bank account and hopefully obtained a SIN. I gather the big 3 will run a credit check before giving you a contract and I also gather that the smaller ones will also do a credit check if you want a phone as part of the plan (they won't if is just for a sim card). Is this all correct, so my only option is to use my UK phone and put a new sim card in for now?

I am doing this as I want to build my credit score, I won't use the phone apart from for the odd call to Canada - speaking to Canadian companies etc, until I move our here permanently next year (by that time I am hoping to have built up some credit history). One thought I had was that if I could get a decent phone as part of the plan (as mine is pretty old now) at least I will have a better phone I can use for photo's / video / social media etc in the meantime. But may have to rethink.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
People get approved for phones without a credit history. Would not sign up for a contract u TIL you settle permanently in Canada. If you are only here temporarily get a prepaid phone plan with no payment commitments.

DC888

Star Member
May 22, 2020
People get approved for phones without a credit history. Would not sign up for a contract u TIL you settle permanently in Canada. If you are only here temporarily get a prepaid phone plan with no payment commitments.
Ok thanks. Any reason for this though? The only other way I can think of getting some credit history is using a Canadian credit card back home which will add more expense onto every purchases with nothing to show for it, and it would mean not using my Amex card as much, meaning not as many air miles. At least this way I have a phone I can use and won't have to sort something out when I do come here permanently.

Reactions: Garth 117