+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC/ WP Conundrum- Information Request

Jul 7, 2013
Hi,

First of all, thank you to the incredibly considerate folks on this forum who offer their suggestions. I have used this forum as a reference a few times already.

I am in a slight pickle, and I would appreciate any info you may have to help me make a decision.

The situation:
My PGWP expires in Aug, 2013. I have applied for my PR application under CEC (almost 2 years work experience, graduate from a Canadian university, working as an Electrical Engineer, IELTS 9.0) but I am contemplating my options on extension to my work permit and temporary resident visa till I receive my AOR from CIC. I live in Toronto and my goal is to not loose my status here in Canada.

The options:
As I understand, if I receive my AOR before my work permit expires, and I have reasonable enough time, I can apply for a bridging work permit and maintain my status and ability to work. However my concern is regarding the eventuality that the work permit may expire before an AOR is received.

I need your help in determining the options which I should consider if I assume that the AOR will not come in before the work permit expires. Ideally I would like to keep working, but the primary goal is to not have to leave Canada. That said, even if I have to stop working for a certain time period, it is acceptable to me.

Appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!

nandoU

Star Member
Mar 10, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
04-07-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
You can take a gamble and apply to BOWP mentioning that you expect that your AOR has been granted. I guess by giving your UCI number in your application, once an officer start processing it, he will look at the UCI number and find that you have been given the AOR. For this to happen, you have to be almost 99.9% certain your CEC application is ok (if not, an officer may not give you an AOR), and that a CIC officer will open your BOWP after your AOR has been awarded. usually an on-line BOWP application may take 30+ days. And a AOR will take another 30+ days to be processed. Well, if you have waited 2, 3 weeks after the CEC application to send your BOWP application, you may get lucky and obtain that AOR just before an officer starts processing your BOWP application.

nandoU

Star Member
Mar 10, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
04-07-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
If by falling in this time window, your old WP is still valid. Well, your status becomes implied after the WP expired, meaning that you can stay in Canada as long as you are waiting for a decision on your BO work permit (keep all your receipt, the CEC application fee, the BOWP application fee, the mailing receipts, etc.). In other words, if you send your BOWP application before Aug 31st, you can stay in Canada until you get an answer from that application.

nandoU

Star Member
Mar 10, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
04-07-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
BTW you can keep working for your employer as an implied status. If HR doesn't believe you, you can show your application receipts.

Jul 7, 2013
So what I gather is that I should wait till the longest possible before the WP expires and then apply for the Bridging work permit.

The employer has offered to apply for an LMO on my behalf. I wonder if I should go down that route.

nandoU

Star Member
Mar 10, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
04-07-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
well, get LMO, if it doesn't arrive on time, apply for the BOWP....if your employer is willing to make a contract for 1+ years, it may be better to get a closed WP cause BOWP last 1 year, and then u have to renew it and pay another 150 bucks (if your PR takes longer than 12 months). If your employer is willing to make that contract for more than a year, ask him nicely to let you know about your job situation with 2 months in advance, so you can have enough time to apply for an BOWP if you ever need it.

The LMO shouldn't cost any money to you, so yeah, go ahead. Whatever comes 1st, the LMO or the AOR, use that to apply. And as I said, keep the application receipts and the mail courier receipts.