+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC Work Experience Eligibility.

AMP9319

Feb 26, 2021
Hi there,

I submitted my profile for Express Entry a few days ago. I am eligible under the CEC... However, I have a few questions regarding my work experience eligibility.

I have a total of 73 weeks working for a Canadian company, all of which is above 30 hours a week. Because they only calculate the 30 hours per week, I did my calculations and 73 x 30 will equal up to 2190 total hours worked. I know that this is enough hours as it is over 1560 but due to Covid-19 I got stuck in my home country for approximately 3 months. My employer still let me work remotely during this time so I was still working for a Canadian company at this time. My questions are:

1. Will those three months be considered Canadian work experience?
2 If not, after subtracting those 13 weeks I should still have roughly 1700-1800 hours left, which is still enough accumulated hours. However, for the chance that those 13 weeks aren't in fact considered Canadian work experience, would there be a problem with my application because I worked for a while, then had 13 weeks of "Non-Canadian work experience", and then continued to work in Canada upon my return? Or does the work experience not need to be continuous?
3. Will my hours that are currently accumulating whilst in the pool be able to be considered on my application when I submit my PR application? What is the government considering as the "cut-off" for considerable accumulated hours?

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Bacelor

Oct 20, 2017
Hi there,

I submitted my profile for Express Entry a few days ago. I am eligible under the CEC... However, I have a few questions regarding my work experience eligibility.

I have a total of 73 weeks working for a Canadian company, all of which is above 30 hours a week. Because they only calculate the 30 hours per week, I did my calculations and 73 x 30 will equal up to 2190 total hours worked. I know that this is enough hours as it is over 1560 but due to Covid-19 I got stuck in my home country for approximately 3 months. My employer still let me work remotely during this time so I was still working for a Canadian company at this time. My questions are:

1. Will those three months be considered Canadian work experience?
2 If not, after subtracting those 13 weeks I should still have roughly 1700-1800 hours left, which is still enough accumulated hours. However, for the chance that those 13 weeks aren't in fact considered Canadian work experience, would there be a problem with my application because I worked for a while, then had 13 weeks of "Non-Canadian work experience", and then continued to work in Canada upon my return? Or does the work experience not need to be continuous?
3. Will my hours that are currently accumulating whilst in the pool be able to be considered on my application when I submit my PR application? What is the government considering as the "cut-off" for considerable accumulated hours?

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
During 12 months period you cannot count over 30hrs/week this the threshold only.
In essence if your employer indicates in your reference letter 12 months working period and you can corroborate those with 12 pay slips then i believe you are all set.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html

AMP9319

Feb 26, 2021
During 12 months period you cannot count over 30hrs/week this the threshold only.
In essence if your employer indicates in your reference letter 12 months working period and you can corroborate those with 12 pay slips then i believe you are all set.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html
Hi there,

Thank you for the response. This didn't quite answer my questions, I'm afraid :(.

I am aware of the threshold however I am also aware that you have 3 years to accumulate 1560 hours, as cited in the CIC website. My questions in respect to the above were:

1. Will those 13 weeks that I worked remotely from my home country due to being stuck there because of COVID-19 be considered Canadian work experience?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there,

Thank you for the response. This didn't quite answer my questions, I'm afraid :(.

I am aware of the threshold however I am also aware that you have 3 years to accumulate 1560 hours, as cited in the CIC website. My questions in respect to the above were:

1. Will those 13 weeks that I worked remotely from my home country due to being stuck there because of COVID-19 be considered Canadian work experience?
1. No, they will not be considered as Canadian work experience.
2. Work experience for CEC does not have to be continuous. You don't just need to have enough hours - you must also have enough weeks. You must have at last 52 separate weeks where you worked 52 hours or more.
3. Yes. Cut off is when you submit the application post ITA.

Reactions: AMP9319

AMP9319

Feb 26, 2021
1. No, they will not be considered as Canadian work experience.
2. Work experience for CEC does not have to be continuous. You don't just need to have enough hours - you must also have enough weeks. You must have at last 52 separate weeks where you worked 52 hours or more.
3. Yes. Cut off is when you submit the application post ITA.

Thank you Scylla! In response to question number 2. I'm just trying to see if I am understanding this correctly. So after subtracting the 13 weeks I had to work remotely, does this mean I will still currently have enough accumulated hours as well as weeks? 73-13= 60x30= 1800 (approximate hours).

Also, not sure if you would know this, but my CRS is currently 491. In your opinion, do you think that is a high enough score to obtain an ITA in the next draw??

AMP9319

Feb 26, 2021
Thank you Scylla! In response to question number 2. I'm just trying to see if I am understanding this correctly. So after subtracting the 13 weeks I had to work remotely, does this mean I will still currently have enough accumulated hours as well as weeks? 73-13= 60x30= 1800 (approximate hours).

Also, not sure if you would know this, but my CRS is currently 491. In your opinion, do you think that is a high enough score to obtain an ITA in the next draw??
Bump... Can I please get any update on this? :)