+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC with a common-law partner not sponsoring me

let99

Jun 2, 2022
Hi there, I have worked for 1 year after completing a Canadian MA degree, and my boyfriend does not want to sponsor me, in this case, should I choose "single" or "common law" when expressing my interested in immigration?

We have lived together for over 1 year, and the rental contract under our English name, rather than our legal name. We do not have a joint bank account, and for the utility bills, he pays for them and then I e-transfer the money to him monthly. Therefore, we only have the same shipping address, and cannot provide other proof if I choose "common law".

I am not sure if I will be considered misrepresentation if I choose "single“?

Thank you very much
Let

PaulAbhik23121989

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Category........
CEC
Hi there, I have worked for 1 year after completing a Canadian MA degree, and my boyfriend does not want to sponsor me, in this case, should I choose "single" or "common law" when expressing my interested in immigration?

We have lived together for over 1 year, and the rental contract under our English name, rather than our legal name. We do not have a joint bank account, and for the utility bills, he pays for them and then I e-transfer the money to him monthly. Therefore, we only have the same shipping address, and cannot provide other proof if I choose "common law".

I am not sure if I will be considered misrepresentation if I choose "single“?

Thank you very much
Let
Common-Law Sponsoring would require you and your boyfriend to submit PR application along with Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union form signed by both the parties and a lawyer. Then you would need to submit all the supporting documents like joint bank account, joint utility bills, or any documents where you and your boyfriend share the same address, your personal documents and your boyfriend's personal documents as well. This is just general idea for a common law to sponsor you. There could be other factors or documents that might require additionally.

But, if you are applying under CEC, you don't require to provide any documents unless you want to claim points for Common-law relationship.

I did the same, I applied under CEC back in May 2021, accidentally provided my relationship status as Single. To avoid being mis-representation, I uploaded the Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union and a copy of my partner's Canadian passport via web-form just to support my application even though IRCC didn't ask me to provide any documents about it and explained the situation over web-form. I also explained that I didn't want to claim any points (because my CRS score was higher than the cut-off score) as I only wanted to have my relationship status on the file so that in future, if I apply for Citizenship, I shouldn't have to face any issues.

My PR was approved in Oct 2021.

Reactions: YVR123

let99

Jun 2, 2022
Common-Law Sponsoring would require you and your boyfriend to submit PR application along with Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union form signed by both the parties and a lawyer. Then you would need to submit all the supporting documents like joint bank account, joint utility bills, or any documents where you and your boyfriend share the same address, your personal documents and your boyfriend's personal documents as well. This is just general idea for a common law to sponsor you. There could be other factors or documents that might require additionally.

But, if you are applying under CEC, you don't require to provide any documents unless you want to claim points for Common-law relationship.

I did the same, I applied under CEC back in May 2021, accidentally provided my relationship status as Single. To avoid being mis-representation, I uploaded the Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union and a copy of my partner's Canadian passport via web-form just to support my application even though IRCC didn't ask me to provide any documents about it and explained the situation over web-form. I also explained that I didn't want to claim any points (because my CRS score was higher than the cut-off score) as I only wanted to have my relationship status on the file so that in future, if I apply for Citizenship, I shouldn't have to face any issues.

My PR was approved in Oct 2021.
wow
that is amazing, thank you so much for your detailed answer! Then I will correct my information.
I dont think their Canadian citizenship or PR status will help us gain points though?

Thank you
Let

PaulAbhik23121989

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Category........
CEC
wow
that is amazing, thank you so much for your detailed answer! Then I will correct my information.
I dont think their Canadian citizenship or PR status will help us gain points though?

Thank you
Let
If only you want to claim it to improve your CRS Score, then yes! I think you get points above 50 or 60 something, I am not sure about it though!
You would also need to submit all required documents both for you and your boyfriend.
Else if you dont want to claim it, you'd still need to be transparent about your relationship and mention that your boyfriend is non-accompanying and you wouldn't need to submit additional documents for your common-law relationship.

However, I'll leave this up to the experts for their opinions.

let99

Jun 2, 2022
I got it! Whether or not I can gain more scores, I should be transparent about it.
I was going to correct the info on the system, only to find that I am not able to change it already! Therefore, I will write Web-form an email like you did! Thank you again.

PaulAbhik23121989

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Category........
CEC
I got it! Whether or not I can gain more scores, I should be transparent about it.
I was going to correct the info on the system, only to find that I am not able to change it already! Therefore, I will write Web-form an email like you did! Thank you again.
Also to be fair, if you can get the Statutory Declaration Common-Law form signed by lawyer (as you have lived together for 1 year) and copy of your boyfriend's Canadian passport or PR card; you can submit that via web-form as well so as to avoid any further requirements from IRCC.