+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC Self Employed/Contract

Thank

May 29, 2019
If other employees in the company I work for didnt file or pay HST including my employer ,that would create a bad scenario by submitting ROE and finally I may not qualify to prove myself as an employee.

Queenslander88

Star Member
Jun 26, 2018
This is a very nice video on how to prove self-employment experience,, which IS accepted when it is foreign work experience. However, self-employment is specifically excluded as Canadian experience. If you prove you are self-employed in Canada, you only prove that the experience does not count.
Thanks for the Post Jess! You can claim work experience while studying and you can claim work experience as an IT contractor in FSW. You are CORRECT, self-employed work experience is not counted in CEC; however, it is accepted in FSW.

I am not trying to prove anyone wrong Jess, It is accepted I know 2 people in my office they were IT contractors and they claimed Work experience under FSW. And same time I told @Thank, that go see an experienced consultant instead of looking for an answer on this website. :)

People here say you cannot claim Canadian experience while studying! In CEC you cannot; however, in FSW you CAN :).

Please watch this video till the end:

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
If other employees in the company I work for didnt file or pay HST including my employer ,that would create a bad scenario by submitting ROE and finally I may not qualify to prove myself as an employee.
If you were classified as self employed, then the employer would not file a ROE, since ROE's are for employees. A self employed individual has to register for a RT aka HST number if there income/revenue is more than 30K in four rolling calendar quarters. They may issue you a T4A, which is for services rendered for over $500, or if income tax has been deducted. It is too track income for the Federal Government
Some times an employee or employer do not file a CPT1 to determine if a person is actually an employee. Sometimes, the CRA will do trust exams on employers accounts, or when an individual files their T1 return, the CRA, will reach out and discuss their employment arrangement.
The CRA is well aware that employers will hire people on contract so they can avoid paying out the employers portion of payroll taxes, CPP, EI, and provincial levies as well, such as WSIB in Ontario

Queenslander88

Star Member
Jun 26, 2018
Eventhough self employed accepted under FSW ,would it gives any points on express entry???
It would, you don`t tick Self-employed in the Work Exp Section. You only do that if you are on your own and no third party is paying you..
That`s why I said, You can ask an experienced consultant, please don`t go to anyone whos only in the business from last 7-8 years.

I am just trying to save the time, plus it is mentally draining!

Last edited:

Thank

May 29, 2019
Hello Everyone

I'm an inland applicant. I've recently uploaded my express entry profile (491 score) and have been Invited To Apply under the CEC programme.
My qualifying Canadian experience of 1 year is a 'subcontractor job', where I invoice and get paid with HST, and am required to pay my own taxes. The thing is, this ' job' actually functions like a regular office job, where I have to be at the office address from 9-5, must have all decisions approved by my boss, do not have the freedom to hire other subcontractors or solicit other clients. Also, my boss has given me paid casual and paid sick leave. She also provides the tools and software that we need to work. But, yes I don't get a T4 and no taxes are deducted.
I read the ' employer-employee' relationship guidelines from the CRA and on the CIC page and was therefore sure that I could prove that I am in such a relationship, therefore would not be considered self employed.

But now I feel unsure. Anyone in the same boat? Did anyone have such a situation and get their PR succesfully?

I am wondering if I should tick this 'job' as self employed, which would make me ineligible for CEC, and apply under FSW instead. If I discount the Canadian experience, I get 443 points...and the minimum cut off in my round was 440, therefore I could still apply.

But,would I be able to apply under FSW if I have an invitation to apply under CEC?I'm afraid to decline this ITA and wait for the next round as with just 443 points, don't know if I could make it in the next one.

This forum has helped a lot in the past and I look forward to some answers and a little help from you wonderful people! Please help.
Hello Everyone

I'm an inland applicant. I've recently uploaded my express entry profile (491 score) and have been Invited To Apply under the CEC programme.
My qualifying Canadian experience of 1 year is a 'subcontractor job', where I invoice and get paid with HST, and am required to pay my own taxes. The thing is, this ' job' actually functions like a regular office job, where I have to be at the office address from 9-5, must have all decisions approved by my boss, do not have the freedom to hire other subcontractors or solicit other clients. Also, my boss has given me paid casual and paid sick leave. She also provides the tools and software that we need to work. But, yes I don't get a T4 and no taxes are deducted.
I read the ' employer-employee' relationship guidelines from the CRA and on the CIC page and was therefore sure that I could prove that I am in such a relationship, therefore would not be considered self employed.

But now I feel unsure. Anyone in the same boat? Did anyone have such a situation and get their PR succesfully?

I am wondering if I should tick this 'job' as self employed, which would make me ineligible for CEC, and apply under FSW instead. If I discount the Canadian experience, I get 443 points...and the minimum cut off in my round was 440, therefore I could still apply.

But,would I be able to apply under FSW if I have an invitation to apply under CEC?I'm afraid to decline this ITA and wait for the next round as with just 443 points, don't know if I could make it in the next one.

This forum has helped a lot in the past and I look forward to some answers and a little help from you wonderful people! Please help.
Hii
I would like to know how did you prove your Canadian experience being self-employed.have you got PR...please give some information

pedro65

Feb 15, 2019
Hello Everyone

Hey, did you get your PR approved? I`m in a same situation but I`m afraid to apply under CEC.
Thank you for your time.

pedro65

Feb 15, 2019
I am in the same boat.I have completed an year as self-employed and now my employer hired me as regular employee.I have worked on a basis of employee and employer relationship.I didnt create my express entry profile yet.Am I still elgible to apply under CEC?
Hey, did you get your PR approved? I`m in a same situation but I`m afraid to apply under CEC.
Thank you for your time.