+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC - Proof of funds - What is sufficient proof?

Telitos

Star Member
Jan 30, 2016
Hi,

I really have two questions regarding proof of funds under CEC:

1) If I do not reside in Canada at the time of applying for Permanent Residency (ITA received), may I still provide proof of funds from a Canadian bank account, or should the accounts be held in my country of origin (or country I currently reside in, should they differ)?

2) How come the document list in my application lists "proof of funds" as required when the CIC states that :

"You don’t need to show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family to meet the program requirements of the Canadian Experience Class (this includes provincial nominees who are part of the CEC stream)." (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp)

Seems contradictory, at least on the surface. What am I missing?

Thanks you all for your time!

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Hi there,

1) Accounts can be held in your Canadian Bank account. It's is your money!
2) You are missing nothing, it's not mandatory under CEC stream, but it is a good idea to have it with you. Especially when landing. Some officers tend to ask if you have enough funds to support yourself for the time being! Although very rarely they ask CEC applicants this question. The forms are generic, that page is essentially a copy and paste on all streams. Don't worry about it.

All the best,

Telitos

Star Member
Jan 30, 2016
Thanks for the reply!

That's interesting, you mean that even at the point of submitting your application (I'm talking through the ITA, not just to create some CIC profile), the 'Your document checklist' section is a generic one, same for the row 'Proof of Means of Financial Support (required)' under column "Document Name" ?

If so, that looks like a sure source of confusion for applicants.

(I'm only asking because I want to be sure, maybe I'm not even applying under CEC and I have been wrong this whole time haha)