+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC or FSW?!

BC-Mert

Feb 15, 2019
Hi all, after some advice please!

I am from England living and working in Canada on an IEC which expires December 17th 2019.

CEC:
I am currently working a level B job and will have one years experience come November 13th 2019.
My worry is that will I have enough time to put my name in the pool, get an ITA and AOR so that I can apply for a bridging visa, as I do not want to leave Canada whilst I wait for approval.

FSW:
I am a qualified Mechanic from England and have at least two years work experience within the last 10 years, I am not working as this in Canada but am now thinking if it is possible to apply under FSW so I can do this all now before my IEC expires?!

Any help or advice is appreciated

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011

I am from England living and working in Canada on an IEC which expires December 17th 2019.

CEC:
I am currently working a level B job and will have one years experience come November 13th 2019.
My worry is that will I have enough time to put my name in the pool, get an ITA and AOR so that I can apply for a bridging visa, as I do not want to leave Canada whilst I wait for approval.

FSW:
I am a qualified Mechanic from England and have at least two years work experience within the last 10 years, I am not working as this in Canada but am now thinking if it is possible to apply under FSW so I can do this all now before my IEC expires?!
Yes, the timeline is tight but not impossible.

Of course you can make a profile now and see if you qualify under FSW, and or have enough points for an ITA. Keep in mind you have to list your primary NOC that matches your mechanic work experience. I would suggest NOT entering your Canadian employment until you meet the 1 year requirement, however - this is because the system is designed to count 1 year a bit early (because it only uses MM/YYYy instead of DD/MM/YYYY), even though you are not yet eligible. (This is a problem because if you get an ITA for CEC before you have actually completed one year, you will have to decline the ITA - that's hard for a lot of people).

That way, if you don't succeed with the FSW class,when you do complete a year, you just need to update your profile and wait for the next round of ITAs.

You can also start getting your documents together and be ready to apply as soon as you get the ITA.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html

Note that if you apply for the BOWP before your current permit expires, you will have "implied status" after it expires to stay in Canada as a vistor only, not to work (because technically IEC work permits are not extendible). But hopefully you will manage until you get your BOWP.

Last edited:

BC-Mert

Feb 15, 2019
Yes, the timeline is tight but not impossible.

Of course you can make a profile now and see if you qualify under FSW, and or have enough points for an ITA. Keep in mind you have to list your primary NOC that matches your mechanic work experience. I would suggest NOT entering your Canadian employment until you meet the 1 year requirement, however - this is because the system is designed to count 1 year a bit early (because it only uses MM/YYYy instead of DD/MM/YYYY), even though you are not yet eligible. (This is a problem because if you get an ITA for CEC before you have actually completed one year, you will have to decline the ITA - that's hard for a lot of people).

That way, if you don't succeed with the FSW class,when you do complete a year, you just need to update your profile and wait for the next round of ITAs.

You can also start getting your documents together and be ready to apply as soon as you get the ITA.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html

Note that if you apply for the BOWP before your current permit expires, you will have "implied status" after it expires to stay in Canada as a vistor only, not to work (because technically IEC work permits are not extendible). But hopefully you will manage until you get your BOWP.
Thanks for your advice, maybe I will do that an make a profile and hope I get an ITA. If not I could just wait in the pool until I've done my one year and change my profile to a CEC application? With this so are you saying if i started in November, I should wait until December to apply?

Do you know if I could also update an already made profile if I were to go down the BC PNP route.

Thanks

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thanks for your advice, maybe I will do that an make a profile and hope I get an ITA. If not I could just wait in the pool until I've done my one year and change my profile to a CEC application?

You do not select the program - you simply input your qualifications and the system determines which you are eligible for. As soon as you update your profile with 1 year of Canadian work experience, your eligiblity will be updated to include CEC. (Might take 24 hours...)

With this so are you saying if i started in November, I should wait until December to apply?

I am saying, if you started on November 1, 2018, you can add your work experience on October 31, 2019.
If you started on November 15, 2018 you can add your work experience on November 14, 2019.
If you started on November 30, 2018 you can add your work experience on Nov 29, 2019... etc...

Do you know if I could also update an already made profile if I were to go down the BC PNP route.

Not really sure what you're asking... if you apply for a "traditional" (non EE) PNP application, you will not have a profile in express entry. If you are talking about an EE PNP application already submitted, you cannot have 2 EE applications in process at the same time...

tessa2105

Star Member
Jun 18, 2018
Canada
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-11-2018
AOR Received.
14-11-2018
Interview........
2019-10-21
LANDED..........
2019-10-21

CEC:

FSW:

Any help or advice is appreciated
You can apply up to the day your permit expires. As long as you apply for the BOWP before your permit expires, you can continue working in Canada as per the conditions of your IEC (on implied status until you receive an answer on your BOWP.

As per above, you can start gathering your documents and create a profile. You may receive an iTA, but you should only accept once you actually meet the CEC requirement.

BC-Mert

Feb 15, 2019
I thought that I could also apply for BC PNP EE, to have along with FSW or CEC to improve my score by 600 points.

BC-Mert

Feb 15, 2019
You can apply up to the day your permit expires. As long as you apply for the BOWP before your permit expires, you can continue working in Canada as per the conditions of your IEC (on implied status until you receive an answer on your BOWP.

As per above, you can start gathering your documents and create a profile. You may receive an iTA, but you should only accept once you actually meet the CEC requirement.
Thanks Tessa2105, in regards to the BOWP. Do you know if I can apply if I havent had an ITA?