+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC Invited - PGWP Expired - BOWP Possible?

jackielouruiz

Star Member
Jun 23, 2021
Hi,

I need help for a friend. Is there a way for an expired PWGP Holder (Now on valid tourist visa) to apply for a BOWP? They've already been invited for PR last Jan 2023

Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

I need help for a friend. Is there a way for an expired PWGP Holder (Now on valid tourist visa) to apply for a BOWP? They've already been invited for PR last Jan 2023

Thank you
Unfortunately no. You must hold a valid work permit at the time the BOWP application is submitted. So your friend does not qualify.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

jackielouruiz

Star Member
Jun 23, 2021
Oof it says you can apply for TRPs if you overstayed, i guess she shouldve just applied TRP instead of Tourist visa lol. Do you know if you can apply TRP at this point with that circumstance?

If not, Is there other options aside from LMIA-Work Permit?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Oof it says you can apply for TRPs if you overstayed, i guess she shouldve just applied TRP instead of Tourist visa lol. Do you know if you can apply TRP at this point with that circumstance?

If not, Is there other options aside from LMIA-Work Permit?
No, the TRP would not have been a good option. It would have been a very very bad option. Applying for the TRP would really only be possible if your friend was out of status in Canada. TRPs take around 1.5 years to process these days so it means your friend would be out of status in Canada for a very long time and this would have almost certainly created very big issues for the PR application. So for many reasons, the TRP would not have worked. Applying for a TRP now isn't possible and doesn't make any sense. If you apply, IRCC will say you don't need one (plus you probably won't have a result for close to two years).

There are situations where a person can qualify for an LMIA-exempt closed work permit tied to their specific employer if their job is LMIA exempt. These situations are pretty limited. You'll need to research what's possible for you based on your occupation / employer.

ch5am

Jul 3, 2015
Unfortunately no. You must hold a valid work permit at the time the BOWP application is submitted. So your friend does not qualify.
This is wrong. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html

You are eligible if:

Although in this case, they may be disqualified since they have not maintained a status as a worker.

jackielouruiz

Star Member
Jun 23, 2021
This is wrong. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html

You are eligible if:

Although in this case, they may be disqualified since they have not maintained a status as a worker.
Yeah this tripped me too but i think they need you to be in MAINTAINED STATUS as a worker not as a tourist. In this case it is maintained status as a tourist

jackielouruiz

Star Member
Jun 23, 2021
No, the TRP would not have been a good option. It would have been a very very bad option. Applying for the TRP would really only be possible if your friend was out of status in Canada. TRPs take around 1.5 years to process these days so it means your friend would be out of status in Canada for a very long time and this would have almost certainly created very big issues for the PR application. So for many reasons, the TRP would not have worked. Applying for a TRP now isn't possible and doesn't make any sense. If you apply, IRCC will say you don't need one (plus you probably won't have a result for close to two years).

There are situations where a person can qualify for an LMIA-exempt closed work permit tied to their specific employer if their job is LMIA exempt. These situations are pretty limited. You'll need to research what's possible for you based on your occupation / employer.
We were thinking to risk and go to the border for this, i got my PGWP at the same border before COVID so I thought of it as a possibility. I mean, if the intent was to get the permit to be eligible for an LMIA exempt work permit through the international mobility program humanitarian then they solve a labour shortage but that's my perspective as I work with employment services lol

ch5am

Jul 3, 2015
Yeah this tripped me too but i think they need you to be in MAINTAINED STATUS as a worker not as a tourist. In this case it is maintained status as a tourist
Do they have a TRV or a visitor record?

If they are on a TRV alone, I dont think that lets you stay in the country? I suggest talking to an immigration lawyer for this case.
IF they are on a Visitor Record, then according to the conditions, they may not meet the eligibility for a BOWP.
IF they are on a TRV, they may be in the restoration period, so may qualify for a BOWP.

Again, consult a lawyer!