+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC Hours ( Please Help)

Imroy

May 16, 2014
Hi, Everyone

I intend to apply for CEC this August, but I just have a problem with CEC hours requirement.

Background: I finished my bachelor in June 2012 at McMaster University. Then I applied for post graduation work permit. However, I did not find a job at the time. so I extended my study permit and did master in University of Toronto in Sept 2012. Before I finish my master, I found a job in August 2013 and started to work. It is been 9 months since I started to work. Now I have to go back to university to finish the rest of courses, but I will be working in the same company on a part time basis.

Question: Does my work experience count for CEC hours even I would be full time student for the next 3 months.

retwant

Dec 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It depends on what job you did, how many hours you obtained, and what NOC code used before applying for CEC hours. Can you specify more about these?

Part-time school and work adds complexity to experience hours for CEC. Just to be on the safe side, maybe add like 80 hours to like around a months worth of hours for contingency before applying, in case Visa Officers calculated the hours differently. It is almost impossible to appeal, and better have stronger application rather than regrets later on...

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
Imroy said:
Hi, Everyone

I intend to apply for CEC this August, but I just have a problem with CEC hours requirement.

Background: I finished my bachelor in June 2012 at McMaster University. Then I applied for post graduation work permit. However, I did not find a job at the time. so I extended my study permit and did master in University of Toronto in Sept 2012. Before I finish my master, I found a job in August 2013 and started to work. It is been 9 months since I started to work. Now I have to go back to university to finish the rest of courses, but I will be working in the same company on a part time basis.

Question: Does my work experience count for CEC hours even I would be full time student for the next 3 months.
According to CIC any work experience gained when on study permit doesn't count toward CEC.

Hope1957

Feb 26, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-06-2014
LANDED..........
21-03-15
Note: Work experience accumulated in Canada without valid temporary resident status does not qualify as Canadian work experience (i.e., foreign nationals such as refugee claimants in Canada and unauthorized workers). Applicants must provide documentation with their application establishing that they had legal temporary status in Canada (e.g., a visitor record).

Note: Any period of employment during which the applicant was engaged in full-time study will not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g., work experience gained through co-op work permits, off-campus work permits while a full-time student, and on-campus work permits).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op25a-eng.pdf

Imroy

May 16, 2014
Hi, thanks for your information

However, my experience is obtained through post graduation work permit not those ones listed in the example. Would that make a difference?

Hope1957 said:
Note: Work experience accumulated in Canada without valid temporary resident status does not qualify as Canadian work experience (i.e., foreign nationals such as refugee claimants in Canada and unauthorized workers). Applicants must provide documentation with their application establishing that they had legal temporary status in Canada (e.g., a visitor record).

Note: Any period of employment during which the applicant was engaged in full-time study will not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g., work experience gained through co-op work permits, off-campus work permits while a full-time student, and on-campus work permits).

Imroy

May 16, 2014
pfse said:
According to CIC any work experience gained when on study permit doesn't count toward CEC.
Hi, Thanks for the reply

I have both study permit and post graduation work permit,
my experience is obtained through post graduation work permit.
would that make a difference?

Hope1957

Feb 26, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-06-2014
LANDED..........
21-03-15
I think someone else on this forum had a similar situation and the answer is not quite black and white. It is quite clear that any work experience gained as a full time student will not be counted towards CEC. So I would believe that even though you have gained your work experience as a student on a pgwp, it has the potential to be discounted by the VO simply because you were a student at the time you gained your work experience.

It is best that you call the CIC call center and ask them for advise. If they are unable to give you a helpful one, then depending on the time left on your work permit, it is best that you wait until you have the qualifying work experience for CEC and then apply. If all else fails, go ahead and apply, but make sure you make your case by writing cover letters, etc.

Good luck!

Imroy said:
Hi, Thanks for the reply

I have both study permit and post graduation work permit,
my experience is obtained through post graduation work permit.
would that make a difference?

retwant

Dec 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hope1957 said:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op25a-eng.pdf
Can the Original Poster (OP) specify more about his education and work experience? I believe the full-time study in this context is during post secondary education. One of my friend juggled master degree as well professional work in engineering, and the work there qualified as part of his CEC experience. He has landed here as PR months ago. But again different VOs may interpret the rules differently...

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
retwant said:
Can the Original Poster (OP) specify more about his education and work experience? I believe the full-time study in this context is during post secondary education. One of my friend juggled master degree as well professional work in engineering, and the work there qualified as part of his CEC experience. He has landed here as PR months ago.
Not relevant. Your buddy applied under different rules.

I agree with Hope. If you can put off going back to study for another semester, you'll be better off at least in terms of meeting CEC requirements. Another option would be to go back part-time.

But either way, no worries, if you finish your Master's in Ontario, you'll be eligible through the PNP program (Opportunities Ontario).

retwant

Dec 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can you specify what do you mean my buddy applied under different rules? I am not sure if I understand it. Thanks a lot~

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
retwant said:
Can you specify what do you mean my buddy applied under different rules? I am not sure if I understand it. Thanks a lot~
If your buddy "landed months ago", then certainly he applied before the November 2013 rule change that disallowed all work experience as a full-time student.

retwant

Dec 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jes_ON said:
If your buddy "landed months ago", then certainly he applied before the November 2013 rule change that disallowed all work experience as a full-time student.
No wonder! Thanks for that clarification...