+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC Eligibility query

sad123

Feb 26, 2014
Hi Seniors,

Hoping to get a solution for my query..

A brief background about my self:
- I graduated on April 26th, 2013 (As confirmed on the graduation letter). Was on off campus work permit from 08 April- 30 Jul 2013, where I was working for one of the immigration company (NOC 1211) 1st May 2013- 13th September 2013. (ie 2 mths on off campus visa and 2mths 13 days on PGWP). My PGWP is for one year as I pursued 1yr course in Financial Planning- Centennial college-(2nd July 2013- 2nd July 2014).
-Soon I got a job in a bank as Credit analyst (NOC 1114). This a contract job valid till September 2014, but my PGWP expires in July 2014.

Now my question is : Can I use my experience from May 2013 onwards considering the 2 mths I worked on off campus permit after getting graduated or I will have to consider my experience from July onwards based on PGWP?

Also wanted to know that as per new eligibility criteria the cic website does not talk about graduation criteria. So does that really matter?

Awaiting response on the same.

Thanks !

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
sad123 said:
Hi Seniors,

- I graduated on April 26th, 2013 (As confirmed on the graduation letter). Was on off campus work permit from 08 April- 30 Jul 2013, where I was working for one of the immigration company (NOC 1211) 1st May 2013- 13th September 2013. (ie 2 mths on off campus visa and 2mths 13 days on PGWP). My PGWP is for one year as I pursued 1yr course in Financial Planning- Centennial college-(2nd July 2013- 2nd July 2014).
-Soon I got a job in a bank as Credit analyst (NOC 1114). This a contract job valid till September 2014, but my PGWP expires in July 2014.

Now my question is : Can I use my experience from May 2013 onwards considering the 2 mths I worked on off campus permit after getting graduated or I will have to consider my experience from July onwards based on PGWP?

Yes you can. I think your off-campus work permit was valid at that time right?

Also wanted to know that as per new eligibility criteria the cic website does not talk about graduation criteria. So does that really matter?

Your work experience will be considered from the date mentioned on Graduation letter.

Thanks !

Nikki30588

Star Member
May 30, 2012
Firstly, are you sure you are 1114 and not 6235? Because some credit analysts now fall under 6235. Please double check.

Secondly, as per the recent operational manual for CEC you should be able to start counting your work experience from the date you graduated (i.e. after April 26 in your case). However, I'd suggest you explain this in a letter because this is a grey area and provide sufficient evidence that when you were working on an off campus work permit, you were no longer a full time student.

sad123 said:
Hi Seniors,

Thanks !

wessless

Aug 11, 2013
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
20-06-2013
Doc's Request.
17-02-2014 RPRF/BIODATA
AOR Received.
12-08-2013
Med's Request
12-02-2014
Med's Done....
14-02-2014
Passport Req..
25-02-2014
LANDED..........
02-04-2014
I agree with Nikki30588...be careful with your NOC and since you're on such a tight timeframe...make sure to provide evidence of graduation date etc...goodluck.

sad123

Feb 26, 2014
Hey Thanks for the responses..

@Nikki I was looking at credit analyst and similar roles like credit adjudicator etc... so found out 1114 and 6235.. But after you pointed out and I checked the job description I found out that its more of 6235 but there are few job requirements in 1114 that match my profile too. So in this case is it okay if I mention both the numbers in my application and provide documentation accordingly?

Moreover, I do have proof of docs that shows the graduation date and all necessary information. And now since I can count my experience from May onwards this means I can apply for my application in the first week of May 2014 right??

Regards!

iamroth

Champion Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
App. Filed.......
23-03-2018
1. Only count the experience gained under PGWP.

I am only saying this because of this: "For a student who had graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution, only work experience gained after graduation will count towards meeting the work experience requirement (e.g., post-graduate work permit)."

Now it does not say your experience will not be accepted, but it clearly states PGWP. Also graduation certificates/letters are not part of CEC requirement anymore, so even if you submit those - they may not actually carry the weight. On the other hand work permit is essential and is a must.

2. Graduation does not play any part currently, other than determining the experience.

If you really cannot wait and have no other choices, maybe you can apply with the letters/certificates from school. But if you can manage the 12 month experience ONLY under PGWP - go for it.

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
sad123 said:

@ Nikki I was looking at credit analyst and similar roles like credit adjudicator etc... so found out 1114 and 6235.. But after you pointed out and I checked the job description I found out that its more of 6235 but there are few job requirements in 1114 that match my profile too. So in this case is it okay if I mention both the numbers in my application and provide documentation accordingly?

Moreover, I do have proof of docs that shows the graduation date and all necessary information. And now since I can count my experience from May onwards this means I can apply for my application in the first week of May 2014 right??

Regards!
No. You cannot use both NOC 1114 and 6235 at one time. So in your case if majority of your job duties are matching NOC 6235 then you should consider using it instead of NOC 1114. Secondly, Yes you can apply in May first week, but you have to include 2 reference letter (i.e one for NOC 1211 and another one for NOC 6235). Make sure to include a copy of OCWP and graduation letter stating your graduation date.

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
iamroth said:
1. Only count the experience gained under PGWP.
2. Graduation does not play any part currently, other than determining the experience.

Why? if you have valid OCWP when you applied for PGEP then you can work and experience counts toward experience required for CEC.

sad123

Feb 26, 2014
okay great I guess now I am clear about the process..

I will start preparing for my application from now it self..

Thank you so much :)

AnilGurung

Nov 9, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPO-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
30-1-2014
Med's Done....
05-02-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
19/02/2014
VISA ISSUED...
25/02/2014
LANDED..........
1/03/2014
Remember any job experience on OFF campus work permit does not count.
And also to be safe, better to have a full solid 1 year and a couple of mths experience at a company.
Make things hell lot of easier.

Best wishes.

sad123

Feb 26, 2014
hi AnilGurung ,

okay but I was graduated already in April and need to have a work permit to work right so OCWP was valid and I could work full time and since I have a very tight time frame I will have to use my prior and current experience to qualify. If I do not use my prior experience I will not be eligible to apply under CEC until September and my PGWP is valid only till July 2nd. I am not getting LMO too as I work for a bank and they do not go into such process.

So I guess will have to make a strong file and take a risk.

Thanks for your input though.

Regards!

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
sad123 said:
hi AnilGurung ,

okay but I was graduated already in April and need to have a work permit to work right so OCWP was valid and I could work full time and since I have a very tight time frame I will have to use my prior and current experience to qualify. If I do not use my prior experience I will not be eligible to apply under CEC until September and my PGWP is valid only till July 2nd. I am not getting LMO too as I work for a bank and they do not go into such process.

So I guess will have to make a strong file and take a risk.

Thanks for your input though.

Regards!
You are good to go.

Hope1957

Feb 26, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-06-2014
LANDED..........
21-03-15
Write to HRSDC and ask them to suggest a NOC Code for your occupation. Give them a description of your job duties and employment requirements for your occupation. If you think 6235 is a better fit, then 6235 is your NOC Code. However, check with HRSDC.

As for this debate if you can count off campus work permit or not, in my opinion if you have graduated and you are making a transition to pgwp, you should be able to apply for your PR. However, I'd make my case in a letter because there is nothing that rules out counting work experience gained on authorized work permit after completion of graduation. And if you cannot afford to wait, you can take the chance and see how it works out.

Good luck!

sad123 said:

@ Nikki I was looking at credit analyst and similar roles like credit adjudicator etc... so found out 1114 and 6235.. But after you pointed out and I checked the job description I found out that its more of 6235 but there are few job requirements in 1114 that match my profile too. So in this case is it okay if I mention both the numbers in my application and provide documentation accordingly?

Regards!

seab

Star Member
Mar 1, 2013
They will ONLY COUNT EXPERIENCE FROM YOUR POST GRADUATE WORK PERMIT. I was in a similar situation and in my GCSM notes they only started counting from the date on the PGWP, although i had a valid off campus work permit and was not in school. The month of work experienced I gain under the off campus permit was not counted.
My graduating date was Feb 23rd and my PGWP was Jan 23 and they started counting from the PGWP date not the grad date.