+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC- do I have to explain unpaid day-off even I work over 30 hours per week?

pedley

Dec 11, 2020
Hi all, thank you for taking time to read. I can't find any similar situations as mine online. And I have my problem as following:

I work 40 hours per week since Nov 18, 2019 and get ITA on Dec 9, 2020. During this time, I have unpaid day-off from January 1 (but it is paid holiday so I think it is still counted as a working day) to January9 2020 (get back to work on Jan 10 2020), so I wait for one more week to submit my profile. Now I find on some other days I take days off, like go to see a doctor or take IELTS exam for 6 days( they are separate, like May 25 2020 off, July 27 off or September 17 off etc) and 2 afternoons without pay during this time. Even though I take these one-day off, because I work 40 hours per week, which means I work 8 hours a day, the rest 4 days in the week still can make up to the 1-day off and I still have 30 hours for that week when I have only one-day off (32 hours). So just want to ask if I am still counted as 30 hours if I take one-day off for that week? and do I have to explain this in the explanation letter? My pay cheque is issued bi-weekly so normally it just indicate the total hours every two weeks.

Do I have to decline the ITA and get back to the pool to wait for the next?

I hope I make myself clear. Thank you for your help!

Reactions: Pgill2609

Angel1113

Jun 6, 2019
Ontario
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
24 June 2020
Med's Done....
05-06-2020
Hi all, thank you for taking time to read. I can't find any similar situations as mine online. And I have my problem as following:

I work 40 hours per week since Nov 18, 2019 and get ITA on Dec 9, 2020. During this time, I have unpaid day-off from January 1 (but it is paid holiday so I think it is still counted as a working day) to January9 2020 (get back to work on Jan 10 2020), so I wait for one more week to submit my profile. Now I find on some other days I take days off, like go to see a doctor or take IELTS exam for 6 days( they are separate, like May 25 2020 off, July 27 off or September 17 off etc) and 2 afternoons without pay during this time. Even though I take these one-day off, because I work 40 hours per week, which means I work 8 hours a day, the rest 4 days in the week still can make up to the 1-day off and I still have 30 hours for that week when I have only one-day off (32 hours). So just want to ask if I am still counted as 30 hours if I take one-day off for that week? and do I have to explain this in the explanation letter? My pay cheque is issued bi-weekly so normally it just indicate the total hours every two weeks.

No you are fine. No need to explain just submit paystubs. All they care about is that you worked 30 hrs a week.
Reasonable amount of paid leave does count.
Don't decline ita. Nobody works whole year without taking any days off. You never know if they will skip next draw or something & you don't get invite (happened to me, had to wait another year to get ITA).

Pgill2609

Sep 7, 2019

No you don't have to decline ITA I work 40 hours and my paystubs represented my sick and vacation time

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......

It depends.

You can add up to 30 hours per week. This means that each week you worked 32 or 40 hours for CIC purposes is the same. If there are weeks in which you have worked less than 30 hours, you would then need more than 52 weeks to meet the minimum 1560 hours (30x52=1560).

If you took a few weeks off, which were unpaid, you cannot consider this as vacation and hence should not be counted towards your experience.

If any given week you worked at least one day you can add those hours and count that week. But you can only count up to 30 hours per week,

Every case is different so you will have to add the hours and weeks for your specific case and you will know when you meet the threshold.

No need to reject ITA, just wait and submit your application when you have met the requirement

jamesadewumi

Nov 26, 2020
Hi there, I started a full time position the same week as you in 2019. May I ask how your status is cos i could not get pass 411 in CRS score. I mean your education and other stuff. I can private message you if you want.

Thanks so much in advance.

pedley

Dec 11, 2020
Hi there, I started a full time position the same week as you in 2019. May I ask how your status is cos i could not get pass 411 in CRS score. I mean your education and other stuff. I can private message you if you want.

Thanks so much in advance.
Hi,you can just praivate message me at any time:)

hustler751

Star Member
Sep 9, 2020
It depends.

You can add up to 30 hours per week. This means that each week you worked 32 or 40 hours for CIC purposes is the same. If there are weeks in which you have worked less than 30 hours, you would then need more than 52 weeks to meet the minimum 1560 hours (30x52=1560).

If you took a few weeks off, which were unpaid, you cannot consider this as vacation and hence should not be counted towards your experience.

If any given week you worked at least one day you can add those hours and count that week. But you can only count up to 30 hours per week,

Every case is different so you will have to add the hours and weeks for your specific case and you will know when you meet the threshold.

No need to reject ITA, just wait and submit your application when you have met the requirement
Hi, I received ITA last week under CEC category. I had claimed points for 1 year of Canadian experience. I am being paid bi-weekly for my job. When I checked my previous paystubs, I found out that one of my bi-weekly paystub ( in May ) has 59 hours (instead of minimum 60 hours). Will it cause any trouble for claiming points under CEC category ?

Altough I have acquired more than 1900 hours of CEC experience at the time of ITA.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hi, I received ITA last week under CEC category. I had claimed points for 1 year of Canadian experience. I am being paid bi-weekly for my job. When I checked my previous paystubs, I found out that one of my bi-weekly paystub ( in May ) has 59 hours (instead of minimum 60 hours). Will it cause any trouble for claiming points under CEC category ?

Altough I have acquired more than 1900 hours of CEC experience at the time of ITA.
There is no minimum. You could have weeks in which you worked 15 hours, 7 hours, 23 hours, 80 hours, etc.

The point is that for every single week you worked 30 hours or more, you can only count 30 hours maximum. Conversely, if you worked less than 30 hours, you should be counting all the hours.

So, if in your job you have a fixed # of hours you work every week such as 37.5 h or 40h per week, then for each week you would accrue 30 hours (remember that is the maximum). That is why you need at least 1 year (or 52 weeks) to reach 1560 hours (30hours/week *52weeks).

So, if you have 30 hours per week or more for every single week but one in which you have 29 hours. You will need to work 1 hour the next week to meet the requirement.

The # of weeks you need to meet the minimum 1560 hours will vary depending on how many hours you worked each week. If you worked 30 or more, you will need 52 weeks (because you only count the first 30 hours each week and forfeit the remainder). If there are weeks in which you worked less than 30 hours, you will need more than 52 weeks.

If you worked 15 hours per week, you will need 104 weeks (2 years). If you worked 20 hours/week you will need 78 weeks and so on.

Does this help?

For instance, in my case, I worked 37.5 hours every week. By the time 52 weeks had passed, I had already accrued 1950 hours (52*37.5). However, for IRCC purposes these 1950 in reality only count as 1560h (52*30); because, as I mentioned earlier, we only count the first 30 hours and forfeit the remainder.

hustler751

Star Member
Sep 9, 2020
There is no minimum. You could have weeks in which you worked 15 hours, 7 hours, 23 hours, 80 hours, etc.

The point is that for every single week you worked 30 hours or more, you can only count 30 hours maximum. Conversely, if you worked less than 30 hours, you should be counting all the hours.

So, if in your job you have a fixed # of hours you work every week such as 37.5 h or 40h per week, then for each week you would accrue 30 hours (remember that is the maximum). That is why you need at least 1 year (or 52 weeks) to reach 1560 hours (30hours/week *52weeks).

So, if you have 30 hours per week or more for every single week but one in which you have 29 hours. You will need to work 1 hour the next week to meet the requirement.

The # of weeks you need to meet the minimum 1560 hours will vary depending on how many hours you worked each week. If you worked 30 or more, you will need 52 weeks (because you only count the first 30 hours each week and forfeit the remainder). If there are weeks in which you worked less than 30 hours, you will need more than 52 weeks.

If you worked 15 hours per week, you will need 104 weeks (2 years). If you worked 20 hours/week you will need 78 weeks and so on.

Does this help?

For instance, in my case, I worked 37.5 hours every week. By the time 52 weeks had passed, I had already accrued 1950 hours (52*37.5). However, for IRCC purposes these 1950 in reality only count as 1560h (52*30); because, as I mentioned earlier, we only count the first 30 hours and forfeit the remainder.
oh , I got it now...thank you for your perfect explanation.

At the time of ITA, I had acquired 56 or 57 weeks of experience. In those 57 weeks, there were only 2 or 3 weeks where I worked about 28 or 29 hours, on other weeks I always had more than 35 hours/week.

Also, I have about total of about more than 2400 hours of CEC experience. I hope I am safe now, in terms of total CEC hours ?

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
oh , I got it now...thank you for your perfect explanation.

At the time of ITA, I had acquired 56 or 57 weeks of experience. In those 57 weeks, there were only 2 or 3 weeks where I worked about 28 or 29 hours, on other weeks I always had more than 35 hours/week.

Also, I have about total of about more than 2400 hours of CEC experience. I hope I am safe now, in terms of total CEC hours ?
Again, yes, you met the requirement on the first day of the 53rd week. You are good to go.

Say you had 3 weeks in which you worked 28 hours and the rest you worked 35 hours. Then: 30*49=1470 hours and 28*3=84hours --> 1470+84=1554 hours. You would be 6 hours short at the end of the 52nd week.

Then the first day of the 53rd week, assuming you worked at least 6 hours, you would have completed the 1560 hours (1554 +6=1560) and would be ready to do.

Remember, the actual # of hours is not relevant. If you worked 60 hours per week, you would have 1560 in six months (or 26 weeks). Nonetheless, since you can only count the first 30 hours of each week you would only have accrued half of that, 780 hours, and would still need to work another 26 weeks. By the end of the 52nd week, you would have worked 3120 hours (way beyond the 1560 hours) but would have just made the cut of the 1560 hours IRCC requires.

Again, this is because only the first 30 hours of each week can be counted. That is why working 30h/week or 100h/week will only give you one year's worth of experience.

Reactions: hustler751

hustler751

Star Member
Sep 9, 2020
Again, yes, you met the requirement on the first day of the 53rd week. You are good to go.

Say you had 3 weeks in which you worked 28 hours and the rest you worked 35 hours. Then: 30*49=1470 hours and 28*3=84hours --> 1470+84=1554 hours. You would be 6 hours short at the end of the 52nd week.

Then the first day of the 53rd week, assuming you worked at least 6 hours, you would have completed the 1560 hours (1554 +6=1560) and would be ready to do.

Remember, the actual # of hours is not relevant. If you worked 60 hours per week, you would have 1560 in six months (or 26 weeks). Nonetheless, since you can only count the first 30 hours of each week you would only have accrued half of that, 780 hours, and would still need to work another 26 weeks. By the end of the 52nd week, you would have worked 3120 hours (way beyond the 1560 hours) but would have just made the cut of the 1560 hours IRCC requires.

Again, this is because only the first 30 hours of each week can be counted. That is why working 30h/week or 100h/week will only give you one year's worth of experience.
Yes, thank you again for this elaborated & clear explanation.
Anything above 30 hours per week does not matter. And we fulfill the requirement of 1560 hours, when all the hours we worked add up to 1560 hours, (excluding the hours worked over 30 hours).

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Yes, thank you again for this elaborated & clear explanation.
Anything above 30 hours per week does not matter. And we fulfill the requirement of 1560 hours, when all the hours we worked add up to 1560 hours, (excluding the hours worked over 30 hours).
Exactly. That is why you need at least 1 year (52 weeks) to do so.

Reactions: hustler751

RedTree

Jul 18, 2020
I know this is old thread but...
I may get a permanent job soon, and in my industry it is often to work 2 weeks and then have 2 weeks off. Working two weeks generates way more than 30 h per week but I know I cant count more.. So with 2 weeks off, does that mean I have to work two years to generate approximately 1560 hours?