+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC application rejected

r_be81

Aug 23, 2014
On behalf of my sister who applied for permanent residency via CEC last January 2014, her application was rejected due to the following reason:-

"Pursuant to IRPR R73(1), “full-time work” means at least 30 hours of work over a period of one week.

I am not satisfied that you meet the skilled work experience requirement because you do not have at least one year of full-time work experience.

I note that your declared work experience totals approximately 50 weeks which does not constitute one year. While I note that you declared working 44 hours per week, work in excess of 30 hours per week over a shorter period cannot compensate for any shorter overall period of experience. Following an examination of your application, I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Act and Regulations for the reasons explained above. I am therefore refusing your application.

The decision communicated in this letter constitutes the definitive and final decision on your present application. Your application will be retained, under current Government of Canada file retention guidelines, for a period of two years. Your application forms and supporting documents will not be returned to you. If you should submit a new application it would require new fees and documentation and would need to meet all the requirements in effect at the time the application is submitted.

She was only off by 2 weeks yet she exceeded over 30 hours per week - I feel this is so unfair ! :-[

What are the next steps my sister could take? Is there a process of appeal?

She is confirmed to come to Canada in April of this year on a one year temporary work visa. Any suggestions??

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Based on the refusal letter, she was correctly refused because she didn't have a full year of work experience. If she was two weeks short, she unfortunately didn't qualify to apply under CEC. Extra hours (i.e. hours worked over 30 hours a week) cannot be carried over to other weeks.

Reactions: shaizeik

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
@scylla is correct.

Under CEC work experiences requirements is BOTH (Not either) 1 calendar year and 1560 hours. So it doesn't matter she worked >30 hrs a week, she won't be qualified until the full 365 days has reached.

Octanu

Oct 27, 2014
r_be81 said:
On behalf of my sister who applied for permanent residency via CEC last January 2014, her application was rejected due to the following reason:-

"Pursuant to IRPR R73(1), “full-time work” means at least 30 hours of work over a period of one week.

I am not satisfied that you meet the skilled work experience requirement because you do not have at least one year of full-time work experience.

I note that your declared work experience totals approximately 50 weeks which does not constitute one year. While I note that you declared working 44 hours per week, work in excess of 30 hours per week over a shorter period cannot compensate for any shorter overall period of experience. Following an examination of your application, I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Act and Regulations for the reasons explained above. I am therefore refusing your application.

The decision communicated in this letter constitutes the definitive and final decision on your present application. Your application will be retained, under current Government of Canada file retention guidelines, for a period of two years. Your application forms and supporting documents will not be returned to you. If you should submit a new application it would require new fees and documentation and would need to meet all the requirements in effect at the time the application is submitted.

She was only off by 2 weeks yet she exceeded over 30 hours per week - I feel this is so unfair ! :-[

She is confirmed to come to Canada in April of this year on a one year temporary work visa. Any suggestions??
She is rejected after an entire year? They didn't give her any notice or letter asking if she could fix the problem with the job letter she provided?

r_be81

Aug 23, 2014
scylla said:
Based on the refusal letter, she was correctly refused because she didn't have a full year of work experience. If she was two weeks short, she unfortunately didn't qualify to apply under CEC. Extra hours (i.e. hours worked over 30 hours a week) cannot be carried over to other weeks.
Correct me if lm wrong, but when she comes to Canada to work again in April...does she need to work an additional 2 weeks or does she have to start the work experience process all over again??

r_be81

Aug 23, 2014
Octanu said:
She is rejected after an entire year? They didn't give her any notice or letter asking if she could fix the problem with the job letter she provided?
Yes she was rejected without any warning after waiting for a whole year

hondaFan13

Jul 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please read the rules again. Last time I checked, it said 1 year of experience in the last 3 years of having the work permit. IN april the system changes to Express Entry.

r_be81

Aug 23, 2014
hondaFan13 said:
Please read the rules again. Last time I checked, it said 1 year of experience in the last 3 years of having the work permit. IN april the system changes to Express Entry.
I sure will, thanks. But I do find the rules are not always clear

Conor9900

Jun 20, 2013
April? Express Entry has already started as a first step. The requirements for CEC will be the same if you get an Invitation to Apply through Express entry, and it is correct that you must accumulate 1 year of work in the past 3 years, so your sister will only have to complete 2 more weeks of work before she is eligible to apply under CEC (provided that gets an ITA under Express Entry first of course)

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
r_be81 said:

It's unfortunate that it took so long for her to receive the decision, but the rules are quite clear - 1 year of full-time experience (defined as 30 or more hours per week) is the MINIMUM amount of work experience required to qualify.

She can re-apply, if she still qualifies, under the express entry. If her work experience is still within the past 3 years, she can re-apply after a month or so of additional work experience (hopefully, she will have learned the painful lesson of cutting it too close and will give herself a little extra time as insurance).

Assuming she has an LMIA, if her employer is also willing to provide her with an offer of permanent full-time employment, she would also qualify under FSW-Arranged employment (extra 600 pts) and be fairly certain of obtaining permanent residence.

But she must qualify for one of the programs to have the application accepted (meaning, she first has to complete the 1 year of experience to qualify for CEC; she may already qualify under FSW). To prepare for an express entry application, she probably needs to re-take the language exam, and get her educational credentials evaluated.

Reactions: shaizeik

r_be81

Aug 23, 2014
jes_ON said:
It's unfortunate that it took so long for her to receive the decision, but the rules are quite clear - 1 year of full-time experience (defined as 30 or more hours per week) is the MINIMUM amount of work experience required to qualify.

She can re-apply, if she still qualifies, under the express entry. If her work experience is still within the past 3 years, she can re-apply after a month or so of additional work experience (hopefully, she will have learned the painful lesson of cutting it too close and will give herself a little extra time as insurance).

Assuming she has an LMIA, if her employer is also willing to provide her with an offer of permanent full-time employment, she would also qualify under FSW-Arranged employment (extra 600 pts) and be fairly certain of obtaining permanent residence.

But she must qualify for one of the programs to have the application accepted (meaning, she first has to complete the 1 year of experience to qualify for CEC; she may already qualify under FSW). To prepare for an express entry application, she probably needs to re-take the language exam, and get her educational credentials evaluated.
Conor9900 said:
April? Express Entry has already started as a first step. The requirements for CEC will be the same if you get an Invitation to Apply through Express entry, and it is correct that you must accumulate 1 year of work in the past 3 years, so your sister will only have to complete 2 more weeks of work before she is eligible to apply under CEC (provided that gets an ITA under Express Entry first of course)
Thank you, this is very helpful.

amarecharla

Oct 25, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-02-2015
Grafton said:
she was rejected at what stage of the process? Medical Request or RPRF?
I think she never got her MR or RPRF

CECPRAspirant

Star Member
Dec 30, 2013
Visa Office......
Ottawa
It was rejected after an year of waiting. I am not sure why this point was not noticed by the team at the time of accepting application.