VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Hi all,

I wanted to clarify a situation related to passport and CEC application. My work permit is valid for almost a year from the tentative date of when i would apply for CEC.

If i would not have been applying for PR, i would be advised by my employer to apply for a passport renewal a year before work permit expiry - to be on the safe side, since getting a new renewed passport would take a few months, then company would apply for LMO and then i would apply for work permit.

I have the following concerns about this.

1) Do i still new a fresh passport before applying for CEC (existing one would be valid for a year almost)?
2) Is PR approval also dependent in some way on passport expiry as in work permit? E.g. my LMO was for 3 years, but the actual work permit issued was shorter, due to passport expiry being sooner? Or can i just apply for PR on the same passport, apply for renewal when the passport expiry is closer (like 3-4 months) and may be send the new passport when i get the Passport request from CIC?

3) If i should apply for PP renewal earlier, usually when a new passport is issued, they add a stamp on older Passport "a new passport has been issued in lieu of this one and it is not valid". What is the status of visas on older ones? Are they still valid? TRV + work permit?

Thanking in anticipation

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
fkl said:
Hi all,

I wanted to clarify a situation related to passport and CEC application. My work permit is valid for almost a year from the tentative date of when i would apply for CEC.

If i would not have been applying for PR, i would be advised by my employer to apply for a passport renewal a year before work permit expiry - to be on the safe side, since getting a new renewed passport would take a few months, then company would apply for LMO and then i would apply for work permit.

I have the following concerns about this.

1) Do i still new a fresh passport before applying for CEC (existing one would be valid for a year almost)?
--- No its not needed to have a new passport before applying for PR under CEC if its still valid for an year. You can update your passport detail later on after you receive your AOR.
2) Is PR approval also dependent in some way on passport expiry as in work permit? E.g. my LMO was for 3 years, but the actual work permit issued was shorter, due to passport expiry being sooner? Or can i just apply for PR on the same passport, apply for renewal when the passport expiry is closer (like 3-4 months) and may be send the new passport when i get the Passport request from CIC?

--- PR approval has nothing to do with passport expiry. But you will get single entry visa with COPR only till your visa is valid. I mentioned it in 1 question that you can apply for PR with your current passport and you can renew it later on. It is advisable to renew your passport within 5 months of AOR being issued to you because you can receive MR anytime after that. When you receive New passport update CIC by sending new passport detail. They wont accept new passport instead of old one as you haven't updated them with new info and they even wont have your new passport detail in there system.

3) If i should apply for PP renewal earlier, usually when a new passport is issued, they add a stamp on older Passport "a new passport has been issued in lieu of this one and it is not valid". What is the status of visas on older ones? Are they still valid? TRV + work permit?

Visas on the older expiry date is usually has same expiry date as passport i.e. if your were granted visa for 3 years and your passport expires in 1 years then you will be granted visa for only 1 year. Visa on older passport becomes invalid when you receive new passport. No TRV wont be valid any more. But workermit will be valid as far as I know. Just an example: you can travel to your home country using your passport but if you want to re-enter Canada then you have to apply for TRV before living Canada.

Thanking in anticipation

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Thank you very much - that was quite helpful.

Some clarification regarding #3 is needed. Obviously passport (and visas) are valid until passport expiry (so is the work permit). But like i explained earlier, if i applied one year before wp expiry, got AOR in a couple months and then get passport renewed in a few months - then technically i will have a newer passport while my work permit and trv are still valid for another six months or more in terms of time frame. However, now my passport would have a stamp saying "a new passport has been issued in place of this". What would be the status of canadian visa in this time frame? Also US visas are not issued till the expiry of passort and go beyond that. Mine is valid for longer than passport expiry. But again once i am issued a new passport, the older passport would have stamp "new has been issued". Will i still be able to travel to US for work and come back during those 6 months in between? Will my US and Canadian visas be valid and i be able to reenter Canada?