CEC applicant - Should I wait for LMIA?

wsmolind

Star Member
Nov 4, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I'm a PGWP holder and I had applied for Permanent Residency on November of last year. However, as most of us applying under CEC found out, all November and December applications are being returned since the cap was reach on October 27th (even though they never updated the website, but I digress).

Now, I'm getting ready to apply through EE. However, I'm torn between what to do. Right now, my points are about 518 (studied for 2 years, working for almost 2 years, married). I know that score is not bad. However, I'm fairly certain that the company I work for might want to go through with the LMIA process, so I'm thinking maybe I should wait and see if I get an LMIA?

I just want to ask for some opinions on whether I should just apply right now with my 518 points, or risk it and wait a couple of months (or more) for an LMIA (if it is actually granted). 518 is not bad, but I don't know how long I'd have to wait to be offered an ITA. And an LMIA would secure my chances but I read it's really risky and it can take several months for an answer. I have a little over a year left on my work permit, so I don't really have a lot of time to waste.

I'm torn! I'd really appreciate any expert opinions on the matter...I'm scared and confused that after all these years and hard work I might just end up going back and it was all for nothing. We've built a life here, we invested in getting a Canadian education and contributed to the Canadian economy through our hard work. It's just been very demoralizing getting our application back and looking at this whole new system which is basically telling us they don't want people with our profile here :(

Thank you in advance for any help! Have a great long weekend everyone!

kvn

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
wsmolind said:
Hello,

I'm a PGWP holder and I had applied for Permanent Residency on November of last year. However, as most of us applying under CEC found out, all November and December applications are being returned since the cap was reach on October 27th (even though they never updated the website, but I digress).

Now, I'm getting ready to apply through EE. However, I'm torn between what to do. Right now, my points are about 518 (studied for 2 years, working for almost 2 years, married). I know that score is not bad. However, I'm fairly certain that the company I work for might want to go through with the LMIA process, so I'm thinking maybe I should wait and see if I get an LMIA?

I just want to ask for some opinions on whether I should just apply right now with my 518 points, or risk it and wait a couple of months (or more) for an LMIA (if it is actually granted). 518 is not bad, but I don't know how long I'd have to wait to be offered an ITA. And an LMIA would secure my chances but I read it's really risky and it can take several months for an answer. I have a little over a year left on my work permit, so I don't really have a lot of time to waste.

I'm torn! I'd really appreciate any expert opinions on the matter...I'm scared and confused that after all these years and hard work I might just end up going back and it was all for nothing. We've built a life here, we invested in getting a Canadian education and contributed to the Canadian economy through our hard work. It's just been very demoralizing getting our application back and looking at this whole new system which is basically telling us they don't want people with our profile here :(

Thank you in advance for any help! Have a great long weekend everyone!
I believe applying for an LMIA for PR purposes takes 10 days to process. Granted there is other time factors like job advertising and such (not sure about that but there are many posts here on the forum on how to get lmia.

My suggestion is to try for an LMIA since your company seems willing and also make sure you're already in the Express Entry pool. Both ways are good for you and its best to grab every chance possible.

wsmolind

Star Member
Nov 4, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

Thank you so much for your reply. So, I can create and Express Entry profile to be on the pool and then just add in my LMIA if I get it later on if I haven't gotten ITA?

Sorry, I just started researching EE this week since I got my application back on Wednesday. I have a lot of things to catch up on so sorry in advance if I'm asking questions someone has already asked before!

Again, thank you for your help!

Auone

Aug 20, 2013
London, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP_Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wsmolind said:
Hello,

Thank you so much for your reply. So, I can create and Express Entry profile to be on the pool and then just add in my LMIA if I get it later on if I haven't gotten ITA?

Sorry, I just started researching EE this week since I got my application back on Wednesday. I have a lot of things to catch up on so sorry in advance if I'm asking questions someone has already asked before!

Again, thank you for your help!
Yes you can update your profile with LMIA any time.....and try the CIC score calculator to know exactly how much you score you will get

wsmolind

Star Member
Nov 4, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Amazing!

Thanks again for your help. I will definitely try the calculator, as suggested.

I love this forum! So many resources and help available, it's really amazing to see everyone coming together. I will definitely pass it on and help anyone out if I can.

Have an awesome long weekend :)

Conor9900

Jun 20, 2013
If I were you I would wait for a month or so if you don't want to put your employer through the hassle of getting an LMIA when it might not be necessary. With a score in the 500s it's likely that you'll be one of the first people to get an ITA if the scores drop below 600 (which we're all eagerly anticipating with each draw): this could well happen within the next few weeks. If it doesn't by mid-march you haven't lost much time and you could ask your employer for the LMIA. Obviously none of us know what crazy thing CIC will do next but I would feel pretty confident of getting an invite soon if I had your score - as it is I feel fairly confident of getting one with mine which is 60 points less, but perhaps not as soon as you

tiffany123

Nov 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 3rd 2015
Doc's Request.
Dec 1st 2015
Nomination.....
Oct 19th 2015 (OPNP)
AOR Received.
Nov 3rd 2015
Passport Req..
March 18th 2016
VISA ISSUED...
April 1s t2016
LANDED..........
Inland applicant
I would recommend to apply for it now. There is no fee associated with it and you have until 1 year to keep updating your profile, you can always update it once you get your LMIA. Also, I am pretty confident that the points will go down eventually since the first few months are to clear off the people that have PNP and LMIA and tbh, your points are really good comparing to the ones doesnt have LMIA in this forum right now so I would say you have a pretty high chance :) good luck !!