+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CDN Citizenship online application - time period. HELP Needed!!

Peter_305

Jun 5, 2016
Hi Everyone,
I hope you are all keeping well. My name is Peter and I needed some assistance with a query around time period eligibility and how to go about it.

Here is a quick background:- I am a PR Cardholder who landed in Canada back in Feb`18 and therefore, I have roughly 3yrs 3months on me. Through the different citizenship sites and calculators, I appear to be eligible. (which is wonderful). I, therefore, started my online citizenship application process.

As I fill out the details in the online application form. The period that the different mandatory fields ask is 5yrs from point of application (assume Im applying today, so this period is from 2016 to 2021). As I fill out the past address, work history, education, travel history - the form prompts me to add all details from 2016. Without 2016 details, my application isn`t complete.

My challenge here is that between Jan`16 to Jan`18, I was not physically present in Canada but there is no option for me to mention that. - Has anyone come across this situation where they apply for Citizenship after 3 yrs of PR (but without being in Canada prior to that?). If yes, how did you go about it? I`d highly appreciate your advice here.

Also, the question "have you stayed outside Canada for more than 180 days in the past 4 years"? -I am not sure how to go about it. I was in Canada from 2018, however, the 4 years would mean that 2017 is also counted, therefore should be answering "yes" to this question? - Could you please guide me.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this - I look forward to your thoughts.
- P

RJ2020

Oct 29, 2020
Hi Everyone,
I hope you are all keeping well. My name is Peter and I needed some assistance with a query around time period eligibility and how to go about it.

Here is a quick background:- I am a PR Cardholder who landed in Canada back in Feb`18 and therefore, I have roughly 3yrs 3months on me. Through the different citizenship sites and calculators, I appear to be eligible. (which is wonderful). I, therefore, started my online citizenship application process.

As I fill out the details in the online application form. The period that the different mandatory fields ask is 5yrs from point of application (assume Im applying today, so this period is from 2016 to 2021). As I fill out the past address, work history, education, travel history - the form prompts me to add all details from 2016. Without 2016 details, my application isn`t complete.

My challenge here is that between Jan`16 to Jan`18, I was not physically present in Canada but there is no option for me to mention that. - Has anyone come across this situation where they apply for Citizenship after 3 yrs of PR (but without being in Canada prior to that?). If yes, how did you go about it? I`d highly appreciate your advice here.

Also, the question "have you stayed outside Canada for more than 180 days in the past 4 years"? -I am not sure how to go about it. I was in Canada from 2018, however, the 4 years would mean that 2017 is also counted, therefore should be answering "yes" to this question? - Could you please guide me.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this - I look forward to your thoughts.
- P
You don’t need to mention that you were not physically present in Canada before 2018 as they can easily look at the date you landed and became PR in the form and would notice that.

Just mention all info about your work and educational history, address history, and give the information needed in all other questions which need your info over the last 5 years. They have clearly mentioned that they need your address and work/educational history in and outside Canada.

Regarding your second question, they need you to provide a police certificate if you were in a country for more than 180 days in a row over the last 4 years. If you were not, you don’t need to provide a police certificate.

Furthermore, the instruction guide has clearly answered your question. Please read the instruction guide carefully before filling the forms. It really helps.

You don’t need to provide a police certificate if
  • you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada, and
  • this time falls within the past 4 years