+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CCB teaching abroad but filing taxes

annieaz

Apr 5, 2016
Hello,
I tried to search for a similar post but couldn't find anything recent.

I have been teaching in the UAE for the past 5 years. My daughter was born in the UAE in June 2016. Every summer I return to Canada for 2 months, and for 3 weeks in December. I have filed my taxes every year for the past 5 years and reported all my foreign income.

I applied for CCB in 2018 after i discovered that I qualify as a factual resident. I never cut ties with Canada because I renewed my drivers license after a medical test, I renewed my health card and always intended to return to Canada once my husband's sponsor application would be approved. My bank accounts in Ontario are still active and I made deposits regularly.

CRA approved my CCB application and gave me the payment for 3 months. Then they asked me to fill out a questionnaire which I completed with honesty stating the days I stayed in Canada for. Now they decided I no longer qualify as a factual resident because I did not maintain ties with Canada. They have given me time to prove my ties with Canada. I provided them with mail received at my address in Canada, bank statements, letter from doctor showing visits during the summer, renewed drivers license with medical and filed tax returns from the last 5 years. Unfortunatelt they did not accept all that.

I still have time to prove my status as a factual resident as mentioned in the letter from CRA.

I need help with what sorts of documents I should provide them with to prove my intentions of returning to Canada and to show that I maintained my factual residency status with Canada. What proof can I give them?

Please help me with any information and support you have. Honestly I will appreciate it!

Thanks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

I have been teaching in the UAE for the past 5 years. My daughter was born in the UAE in June 2016. Every summer I return to Canada for 2 months, and for 3 weeks in December. I have filed my taxes every year for the past 5 years and reported all my foreign income.

I applied for CCB in 2018 after i discovered that I qualify as a factual resident. I never cut ties with Canada because I renewed my drivers license after a medical test, I renewed my health card and always intended to return to Canada once my husband's sponsor application would be approved. My bank accounts in Ontario are still active and I made deposits regularly.

CRA approved my CCB application and gave me the payment for 3 months. Then they asked me to fill out a questionnaire which I completed with honesty stating the days I stayed in Canada for. Now they decided I no longer qualify as a factual resident because I did not maintain ties with Canada. They have given me time to prove my ties with Canada. I provided them with mail received at my address in Canada, bank statements, letter from doctor showing visits during the summer, renewed drivers license with medical and filed tax returns from the last 5 years. Unfortunatelt they did not accept all that.

I still have time to prove my status as a factual resident as mentioned in the letter from CRA.

I need help with what sorts of documents I should provide them with to prove my intentions of returning to Canada and to show that I maintained my factual residency status with Canada. What proof can I give them?

Please help me with any information and support you have. Honestly I will appreciate it!

Thanks.
Hi

CRA issue aside, you have likely committed healthcare fraud. There is little chance that you have met the residency requirement to continue healthcare coverage since moving out of Canada.

Reactions: canuck78

annieaz

Apr 5, 2016
Hi

CRA issue aside, you have likely committed healthcare fraud. There is little chance that you have met the residency requirement to continue healthcare coverage since moving out of Canada.
My health card is disabled. I can't use it for any medical services or consultation. I could not apply for my daughter's healthcard either till we live in ontario for 3 consecutive months. How have I committed healthcare fraud?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

Thanks.
Do you own a property in Canada?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My health card is disabled. I can't use it for any medical services or consultation. I could not apply for my daughter's healthcard either till we live in ontario for 3 consecutive months. How have I committed healthcare fraud?
You stated in your first post that you renewed your health card.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also pretty unusual to visit doctors regularly during the summer if you don't have insurance. Some visits are unavoidable most try to visit doctors in the country where they have insurance before a vacation. Think you are likely fighting a losing battle receiving CCB for the time you and your child are living outside Canada.

Reactions: scylla

annieaz

Apr 5, 2016
Also pretty unusual to visit doctors regularly during the summer if you don't have insurance. Some visits are unavoidable most try to visit doctors in the country where they have insurance before a vacation. Think you are likely fighting a losing battle receiving CCB for the time you and your child are living outside Canada.
I was pregnant and had to visit the doctor for medication and tests. That resulted in my visits to the doctor. Yes I renewed my health card and the ministry allowed me to. I couldn't use my health card because it was inactive so I paid for my visits to the doctor. I don't own property unfortunately. I don't feel like I'm in a battle. All I'm trying to figure out is if it's mentioned on the cra website information stating who is eligible, and I mert all requirements such as 'teacher abroad', then I have the right to CCB. Especially if I report all income to cra, and support 2 dependents with the minimal salary here

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I was pregnant and had to visit the doctor for medication and tests. That resulted in my visits to the doctor. Yes I renewed my health card and the ministry allowed me to. I couldn't use my health card because it was inactive so I paid for my visits to the doctor. I don't own property unfortunately. I don't feel like I'm in a battle. All I'm trying to figure out is if it's mentioned on the cra website information stating who is eligible, and I mert all requirements such as 'teacher abroad', then I have the right to CCB. Especially if I report all income to cra, and support 2 dependents with the minimal salary here
If you don't own property in Canada - then I don't see how you meet the factual resident requirements (unless you have a spouse/partner living in Canada or a dependent child who is living in Canada while you are outside of Canada). There are a number of requirements you must meet to be deemed a factual resident. One very important requirement is that you must maintain "significant residential ties" to Canada. The three examples CRA provides for maintaining significant residential ties are: owning property in Canada, having a spouse/common law partner who is living in Canada, having a dependent (i.e. child) who is living in Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/information-been-moved/determining-your-residency-status.html

IMO you don't meet the factual resident requirements and aren't entitled to CCB. IMO you will end up having to repay the CCB you have received while living outside of Canada.

annieaz

Apr 5, 2016
Does CRA consider you a deemed resident or a non-resident?
At this point I don't understand what type of resident or non resident I am considered as. If all along I was considered a deemed resident or non resident then what was the point in reporting foreign income and paying taxes?

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
You are a deemed resident if you stay in Canada for more than 183 days in a tax year, do not have significant residential ties in Canada and not consider a tax resident in another country. If you are a deemed resident, you have to pay federal tax and surtax.

If CRA does not consider you a factual or deemed resident, you are in luck. You can ask CRA to refund all the tax you paid for the last five years.

Reactions: annieaz