+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CCB Application Guidance : Landed PRs :: Now settling after 2.8 yrs of first landing

syed_

May 20, 2017
Hi,

My Situation:
We landed 2018 as Permanent Residents (Husband, Wife and Two children), but had to return to home country after staying in Canada for 15 days due to personal reasons. We could not apply for OHIP and G1 test back then. Neither myself, nor my wife has filed tax returns for 2018, 2019 or 2020.

We are now back in Canada to settle permanently. We plan to stay with a relative for a few weeks until we can find a long-term rental place (i.e. lease agreement).
We also have to apply for OHIP (would use the bank statement hard copy as proof of residence, bank file has relative's address as my home address).

My wife wants to apply for CCB benefits only from the date we arrived a week ago (and not for any of the period between first landing and now).

Queries related to"RC66-21e Form" for CCB application:
1- Are we still a "Newcomer" or "Returning Residents" for income tax purposes?
2- What is the appropriate time to apply for CCB? Right away, or after certain settlement milestones are done with (e.g. leasing a home, admitting kids to school etc.)
3- Do we (or my wife only) need to file zero income tax returns for our "out-of-Canada" period (i.e. 2018, 2019, 2020) BEFORE applying for CCB?
4- In the form, wife is stating that the children live with her all the time since Birth. Confusion is that do we have to honor the documentary requirements related to following question, or this question only applies to shared custody cases.
//
"If the child started living with you more than 11 months ago, you need to provide supporting documents.
- Proof of birth of each child.
- Proof that you resided in Canada (lease agreement, rent receipt, household bills, driver's license etc.)
- Proof that were the primary responsible for the care and upbringing
//
Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

My Situation:
We landed 2018 as Permanent Residents (Husband, Wife and Two children), but had to return to home country after staying in Canada for 15 days due to personal reasons. We could not apply for OHIP and G1 test back then. Neither myself, nor my wife has filed tax returns for 2018, 2019 or 2020.

We are now back in Canada to settle permanently. We plan to stay with a relative for a few weeks until we can find a long-term rental place (i.e. lease agreement).
We also have to apply for OHIP (would use the bank statement hard copy as proof of residence, bank file has relative's address as my home address).

My wife wants to apply for CCB benefits only from the date we arrived a week ago (and not for any of the period between first landing and now).

2- What is the appropriate time to apply for CCB? Right away, or after certain settlement milestones are done with (e.g. leasing a home, admitting kids to school etc.)
3- Do we (or my wife only) need to file zero income tax returns for our "out-of-Canada" period (i.e. 2018, 2019, 2020) BEFORE applying for CCB?
4- In the form, wife is stating that the children live with her all the time since Birth. Confusion is that do we have to honor the documentary requirements related to following question, or this question only applies to shared custody cases.
//
"If the child started living with you more than 11 months ago, you need to provide supporting documents.
- Proof that you resided in Canada (lease agreement, rent receipt, household bills, driver's license etc.)
//
Thanks.
If you’re about to sign a lease you should wait and apply with the address. OHIP address is what is used to contact people if there is an emergency and should be up to date.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

My Situation:

//
//
Thanks.
1. Newcomer
2. You can apply right away
3. You need to prove your international income for the past 1-2 years. There is no need to file Canadian tax returns. You weren’t Canadian tax residents so you don’t need to file Canadian taxes.

Reactions: syed_