Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
11-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2011
LANDED..........
06-09-2011
So my husband took his citizenship test today (and passed). He was told he needed to get an I-94 report (record of movement) from CBP because most of our travel to the US was via car so there are no passport stamps. He was given the website http://i94.cbp.dhs.gov (which doesn't work unless you make it https) and that site is only good for NON US-citizens.

Anyone apply for Canadian citizenship from the US and been asked for travel history from CBP? If so, how did you get it?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Kess said:
So my husband took his citizenship test today (and passed). He was told he needed to get an I-94 report (record of movement) from CBP because most of our travel to the US was via car so there are no passport stamps. He was given the website http://i94.cbp.dhs.gov (which doesn't work unless you make it https) and that site is only good for NON US-citizens.

Anyone apply for Canadian citizenship from the US and been asked for travel history from CBP? If so, how did you get it?
As far as I know and have read in the forum that I94 records are not accepted by CIC (as per the posts by some of this forum members). They accept ony CBP FOIA records. My assumption is that FOIA records are more detailed as compared to i94 records.

Here you can apply for FOIA CBP records and it may take anywhere from 20 days to few months. For me it took less than a month. For some people in this forum it took many months.

https://foiaonline.regulations.gov/foia/action/public/request/publicPreCreate

IMPORTANT:: Make sure you create an account and then submit. Don't continue as guest. If you don't create an account then you might not get your records. If you create your account then you will get your records posted in the account itself.

ERJOPA

Star Member
Jan 14, 2015
How many trips did you take to the US (and were they day trips)? - I only ask because I only had one trip for my Dad's memorial in 2011 to the US (and I am a US citizen) and no one (Canada or US) stamped my passport for that one trip. I have been told not to worry about it and not expect them to ask for movement. Based on this, however, I can see my Canadian wife going ballistic over asking for more info even though I clearly have established over 1440 days of residency for my 4 year period.

How anal and picky these CIC officers are...so bored they have to inflict busy work on us :(

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
U.S. citizens do not need and cannot get I-94s. CIC apparently made a mistake in telling you to get I-94 records, because there won't be any.

He needs to file a request with CBP under the Privacy Act to request his travel records. Every request I've ever filed has been by mail, and the last one took an incredibly long time, but filing the request online may get you a faster answer.

Kess

May 19, 2010
BC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2010
AOR Received.
09-30-2010
File Transfer...
07-09-2010
Med's Done....
25-05-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
11-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2011
LANDED..........
06-09-2011
Thanks everyone. Already created an account and submitted a request through FOIA. Hopefully they wont take that long since the agent wrote "30 days to submit" on the notice they gave my husband. He has 87 days outside of Canada and 1244 days of physical presence as of the time we submitted his application. Most (if not all) of these absences were from crossing the border by car. Weekend trips to Seattle, cruises to Alaska (from Vancouver), and flying from Seattle or Bellingham. None of which got him entry stamps. :( We weren't even going to try to account for his day trips. We get stuff shipped to Sumas, WA frequently and will literally spend 30min in the US walking over to pick up packages.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
I'm a bit surprised that they asked for more records. I had made about 60 trips to the US (maybe more) in the 4 years before I applied and I didn't have stamps for a lot of them since I usually travel by plane and when leaving from Toronto Pearson, US immigration officials usually stamp my boarding pass instead of my passport. I wasn't asked for any more records. Though sometime during that period I got NEXUS and I'm sure every time I used a NEXUS kiosk, it logged me in the system and I'm sure CIC can get that info pretty easily.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
It all depends upon overall application assessment by cic officer and after checking the stamps on the passport, the officer decides to issue either a RQ or CIT0520.

That's why in some cases if the person who has many trips sometimes does not get RQ or CIT0520 because all other aspects of application are strong and sometimes a person with few trips can get RQ or CIT0520 because the officer might have doubts/concerns about the overall assessment of the application.

There must be an internal criteria in CIC to trigger RQ or CIT0520.

djoli

Oct 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good luck my friend.
I am in the same boat. I submitted the I-94 report and they told me it was not sufficient so I made the FOIA request and I was told by a CBP officer that it takes anywhere from 6 to 18 months. This is why my application is now stuck. I sent CIC a letter explaining them that it takes 6 to 18 months to get that report, so they have decided to sit on it and they are most likely not going to anything with my application until they receive the FOIA report sometimes next year.

For you it may be slightly different as your application is fairly new and they tend to move very fast on new applications versus old ones like mine.

Kess said:
Thanks everyone. Already created an account and submitted a request through FOIA. Hopefully they wont take that long since the agent wrote "30 days to submit" on the notice they gave my husband. He has 87 days outside of Canada and 1244 days of physical presence as of the time we submitted his application. Most (if not all) of these absences were from crossing the border by car. Weekend trips to Seattle, cruises to Alaska (from Vancouver), and flying from Seattle or Bellingham. None of which got him entry stamps. :( We weren't even going to try to account for his day trips. We get stuff shipped to Sumas, WA frequently and will literally spend 30min in the US walking over to pick up packages.

ERJOPA

Star Member
Jan 14, 2015
I just hope that the officer who looks at my file when I take the test realizes that my trip is the only trip I took outside Canada in the 4 year period in question and that the CBSA didn't stamp my passport either. It would seem petty to ask for an extra part of info when the case is supposedly strong - or are CIC people like automatons and just "do as they are directed" from a manual? Seems to me that if they have to make an actual informed decision, they actually have the capacity to use logic and not their manual (if A then B, ect)

So, if you realize that your deadline for additional documents wont be met because of delays from CBP, do you write a letter to the officer handling your file, or do you call them directly?

Kess

May 19, 2010
BC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2010
AOR Received.
09-30-2010
File Transfer...
07-09-2010
Med's Done....
25-05-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
11-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2011
LANDED..........
06-09-2011
Well amazingly our FOIA request has already been processed! Logged into the website after hubby got the email notification and am now staring at a 43 page pdf (we took many day trips to go shopping). Hopefully this is all they need.