+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[CBC]Skilled immigrants struggle to find jobs

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
An "interesting article" from CBC.ca

As the federal government prepares to open the door to more immigrants to drive economic growth, some who are already here say they're struggling to find jobs, despite being highly-educated and qualified.

On Monday, the Liberal government announced that it is boosting the base number of immigrants allowed into Canada next year from 260,000 to 300,000. More than half of the increase will come from immigrants in the "economic" class, which includes skilled workers, businesspeople and caregivers.

Immigration Minister John McCallum said the new target "lays the foundation for future growth." But skilled immigrants already settled here are worried about the present.

Survival jobs

"I don't see a lot of growth," Sandy Chugh said when describing his current job. Despite having years of experience in marketing and a bachelor's degree from Ireland, the 32 year-old is working in a warehouse for the retailer Best Buy.

Chugh says landing the job, which involves stocking warehouse shelves and loading trucks, took six weeks and four interviews. He thinks it will take too long to find a position he's truly qualified for at the company and is now looking to start his own recycling business.

Working at a job they're overqualified for is something Chugh says many of his immigrant friends are going through.

"I know lots of people working in call centres," he said.

Chugh arrived to Toronto from India last April. His wife has an MBA but is working a "survival job" at $14 an hour. "She deserves better," he said.

'Not so many opportunities'

Julie Wei immigrated to Canada last April but she hasn't lived in her native China for nearly a decade. Since 2007, she lived, worked and studied in the United States, where she earned a PhD. in educational psychology from the University of Illinois.

Wei says Canada's "openness" to other cultures attracted her. While Wei has enjoyed immigrating to Canada, her job search has been disappointing and she's unemployed.

"I'm realizing there are not so many opportunities," Wei, 40, said in an interview with CBC News.

Despite her education and teaching experience at Universities in China and the United States, Wei has not been able to land a job at a Canadian institution.

"I'm adjusting my expectations," Wei said, as she's now branching out her job search to include just about any relevant position at a university.

"I'm not sure which area I can improve," she said.

Canadian experience

While it's true that parts of the country are dealing with high unemployment, some immigrants blame their employment trouble on another factor: a perceived tendency employers have to prioritize Canadian experience over foreign experience.

Wei, for example,believes she has the experience to get hired but it's overlooked because she didn't acquire it in Canada.

"I think it's more to do with the culture," Sandy Chugh said. "They're looking for people who have Canadian experience, Canadian degrees."

Izumi Sakamoto, an associate professor of social work at the University of Toronto, says it's an issue many skilled immigrants are facing.

"When they show up to job interviews, they're told they don't have Canadian experience and can't be hired. Somehow your experience is inferior to that of a Canadian," Sakamoto said on CBC Radio's Metro Morning.

"It's not a good feeling," Sakamoto said.

It may also violate Ontario's Human Rights Code. In 2013, the Ontario Human Rights Commission began drawing attention to Canadian experience requirements. The commission considers it a form of discrimination.

Sakamoto says that while many large employers and human resource managers are aware of this, small business owners may not be. As Canada prepares to welcome more skilled immigrants, Sakamoto wants to see more awareness.

"Immigrants should not feel that their skills are inferior to those in Canada."
Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/immigration-employment-canada-1.3831468

Basically another silly article which interviewed people with pretty much useless degree like Psychology. Even Causasian Canadians are having trouble finding jobs with Psychology or business degrees.

The author also failed to recognize that degree and certificates don't mean jack if you don't have any real experience. Years of experience in Marketing in India, China or Laos don't mean anything in Canada.

LPT: stop accepting outland FSWs with bogus experiences and degrees. More quota for CEC stream.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
thats because express entry does not match skills with available jobs. system is flawed as it thinks successful people r the ones with exceptional English language , young and any work experience. it does not take into account the profession. I mean 16% from 2015 data were food industry professions I mean really thats what Canada needs more cooks?

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mead said:
thats because express entry does not match skills with available jobs. system is flawed as it thinks successful people r the ones with exceptional English language , young and any work experience. it does not take into account the profession. I mean 16% from 2015 data were food industry professions I mean really thats what Canada needs more cooks?
Very true. IRCC needs to have a quota for each profession. I mean, MBA is one of the easiest Master's degree anyone can earn, especially in 3rd world countries. It doesn't make any sense to accept a FSW with PhD or Master in Canada, then most of them go work in a warehouse or a minimum wage job.

outlookcanada

Feb 1, 2015
Canada does need more skilled worker, recently, two CEOs from different companies are asking me if i recommend anyone who is dedicated and motivated to them. (BTW i am in construction industry). all my friends with local experience & education got their jobs pretty fast.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Alexios07 said:
Very true. IRCC needs to have a quota for each profession. I mean, MBA is one of the easiest Master's degree anyone can earn, especially in 3rd world countries. It doesn't make any sense to accept a FSW with PhD or Master in Canada, then most of them go work in a warehouse or a minimum wage job.
true also I applied for a job that I am currently doing just to ask for LMIA u know for PR. interview went so well but when I said i need LMIA they said no they cant do that. this happened 6 months ago. The company still hasnt found anyone to fill the position and I still get recruiter phone calls about it. So what will happen if they dont find anyone the job will get off shored or they will fill it with less skilled labor. over all its bad for company and for economy

betty44

Jun 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alexios07 said:
An "interesting article" from CBC.ca

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/immigration-employment-canada-1.3831468

Basically another silly article which interviewed people with pretty much useless degree like Psychology. Even Causasian Canadians are having trouble finding jobs with Psychology or business degrees.

The author also failed to recognize that degree and certificates don't mean jack if you don't have any real experience. Years of experience in Marketing in India, China or Laos don't mean anything in Canada.

LPT: stop accepting outland FSWs with bogus experiences and degrees. More quota for CEC stream.
no degree is useless, people sometimes do not understand that as an immigrant you may have to start with survivals jobs and move forward. but no degree is useless. That is very ignoran from someone to say psychologist are not importants in schoos facilities there is a psychologist in universities there are counseling Psychologists,in companies there is a psychology working in the HR departament. so please stop this, that is not what the article really talks about.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
betty44 said:
no degree is useless, people sometimes do not understand that as an immigrant you may have to start with survivals jobs and move forward. but no degree is useless. That is very ignoran from someone to say psychologist are not importants in schoos facilities there is a psychologist in universities there are counseling Psychologists,in companies there is a psychology working in the HR departament. so please stop this, that is not what the article really talks about.
u did not get his/her point. degree is not useless but flooding the market with people with skills that r not in demand is creating a lot of unemployment which is unnecessary. Example is lets say there is 1 position for say cook but if EE brings in 10 cooks for that position then 9 will be unemployed. What happens in EE is there is no profession CAP so there is skill imbalance.

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
betty44 said:
Your degree becomes useless when it's became highly saturated in the job market. Canada and almost every country needs more trades and technical workers, like electrician, plumber, carpenters, accountants, IT, engineers and bankers etc. They don't need more arts or psychology students. Go to Statscan or any job sites and search for the most needed occupations, you will get my point. We have more than enough people with MBA here, but cannot find enough qualified people with Master in natural and applied sciences.

For example, BC has released a Labour Market outlook document this year, it lists 100 top occupations. I think it will be a very interesting read for you.

https://www.workbc.ca/Labour-Market-Information/B-C-s-Economy.aspx
https://www.workbc.ca/getmedia/00de3b15-0551-4f70-9e6b-23ffb6c9cb86/LabourMarketOutlook.aspx

We live in a free world, and you are free to spend your money on any majors you like, just don't complain that why on earth you cannot find a job with your degree.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Alexios07 said:
Your degree becomes useless when it's became highly saturated in the job market. Canada and almost every country needs more trades and technical workers, like electrician, plumber, carpenters, accountants, IT, engineers and bankers etc. They don't need more arts or psychology students. Go to Statscan or any job sites and search for the most needed occupations, you will get my point. We have more than enough people with MBA here, but cannot find enough qualified people with Master in natural and applied sciences.

For example, BC has released a Labour Market outlook document this year, it lists 100 top occupations. I think it will be a very interesting read for you.

https://www.workbc.ca/getmedia/00de3b15-0551-4f70-9e6b-23ffb6c9cb86/LabourMarketOutlook.aspx
so very true

betty44

Jun 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mead said:
u did not get his/her point. degree is not useless but flooding the market with people with skills that r not in demand is creating a lot of unemployment which is unnecessary. Example is lets say there is 1 position for say cook but if EE brings in 10 cooks for that position then 9 will be unemployed. What happens in EE is there is no profession CAP so there is skill imbalance.
i understand but but keep in my no too far from here thefederal goverment had a immigration program based on occupation list in which psycologist were part of it , if im not mistaken.

betty44

Jun 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alexios07 said:

i understand but canada is willing to accept psychologists that the way it is . and more if they have a canadian degree

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
betty44 said:
i understand but but keep in my no too far from here thefederal goverment had a immigration program based on occupation list in which psycologist were part of it , if im not mistaken.
ye that list was not accurate either but it atleast had a list. but agin dont get hung up on psycologist / one particular occupation. over all skill brought in canada should match jobs available which is not happening and EE is flooding market with unbalanced skills

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
betty44 said:
i understand but canada is willing to accept psychologists that the way it is . and more if they have a canadian degree
Express Entry is still in its second year and needs time to be more mature. Just look at the Australian's system which EE is copied from. They have set quota for each occupations, once you are done with your study, you will be kicked out of the country.

By willingly accept anyone with any degrees, the results are clearly shown in the article, we now have people with Master and PhD working in warehouses and Timmies.

betty44

Jun 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alexios07 said:

We live in a free world, and you are free to spend your money on any majors you like, just don't complain that why on earth you cannot find a job with your degree.
dont take it personal, there is nothing you can do about it. many people spend money on major and degrees propably you boss has a degree and the teacher who taugh you your skills has a degree or scientists,engineers, these people have a degree. you have a self esteem problem you think inferior to people with a degree and think people with degree downgrade you, you need an appointment with a psychologist who also will have a degree. again nothing personal :p

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
betty44 said:
dont take it personal, there is nothing you can do about it. many people spend money on major and degrees propably you boss has a degree and the teacher who taugh you your skills has a degree or scientists,engineers, these people have a degree. you have a self esteem problem you think inferior to people with a degree and think people with degree downgrade you, you need an appointment with a psychologist who also will have a degree. again nothing personal :p
Uhm what? did you read my comments? Why would I have any problem with degrees? I myself have two as well. I just pity for people choosing wrong majors and now complaining that they cannot find jobs.