+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CBC news article on Citizenship Tests & in-person Ceremonies

calgary1991

Star Member
Mar 2, 2020
I keep reading this forum, trying to see some hope, but it’s driving me crazy man! I’m a person who can’t stand injustice/unfairness in another level... I worked so hard and waited for years. For 2020... So many sacrifices made. So much patience... And finally 2020 arrived. 2020 was the year for me. THE YEAR..! I just didn’t know what was waiting for me, for us... I feel so stupid now. Just because not being able to answer those 20 questions, my hopes, dreams are all stolen! This year instead of my dreams, I developed some chronic nerve/muscle tension issues that I can’t even sit for long time and I deal with chronic pain. One of the biggest reason is constant stress! And that constant stress comes from this human made “20 questions”. I am so done.

issteven

Jan 2, 2014
I keep reading this forum, trying to see some hope, but it’s driving me crazy man! I’m a person who can’t stand injustice/unfairness in another level... I worked so hard and waited for years. For 2020... So many sacrifices made. So much patience... And finally 2020 arrived. 2020 was the year for me. THE YEAR..! I just didn’t know what was waiting for me, for us... I feel so stupid now. Just because not being able to answer those 20 questions, my hopes, dreams are all stolen! This year instead of my dreams, I developed some chronic nerve/muscle tension issues that I can’t even sit for long time and I deal with chronic pain. One of the biggest reason is constant stress! And that constant stress comes from this human made “20 questions”. I am so done.
think in this way: some people died of covid, and we are still alive, that is best for 2020! survive!

calgary1991

Star Member
Mar 2, 2020
I’m extremely sorry for them... So many dreams got lost in the vastness of the universe... We are still fighting and we will keep fighting. There is no other way! And seriously, if conservatives saying “Canadians first!” and trying to attack immigrants, they shouldn’t forget that among those Canadians, millions are ex-immigrants. You can’t imagine Canada without immigrants. Just go out, look at your neighbours, your doctor, pharmacist, cashier, teacher, so many of them are immigrants. And no power, can stop them, or stop us! If they try to destroy immigrants, they destroy themselves..! And eventually hundreds of thousands of people, us, will become citizen and we ...... will .... VOTE. We are unstoppable, our power is unstoppable! This beautiful country is all ours..!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I’m extremely sorry for them... So many dreams got lost in the vastness of the universe... We are still fighting and we will keep fighting. There is no other way! And seriously, if conservatives saying “Canadians first!” and trying to attack immigrants, they shouldn’t forget that among those Canadians, millions are ex-immigrants. You can’t imagine Canada without immigrants. Just go out, look at your neighbours, your doctor, pharmacist, cashier, teacher, so many of them are immigrants. And no power, can stop them, or stop us! If they try to destroy immigrants, they destroy themselves..! And eventually hundreds of thousands of people, us, will become citizen and we ...... will .... VOTE. We are unstoppable, our power is unstoppable! This beautiful country is all ours..!
How is Canada destroying immigrants by delaying citizenship for at the most 1-2 years due to a pandemic? Nobody is saying that you won't receive citizenship if you qualify. This shouldn't be causing you so much stress that it is making you disabled. If your business wasn't doing well due to covid, you'd lost your job, you were struggling to pay for food or a roof over your head, you or your family member was sick with covid, you had been in quarantine for almost a year because you were vulnerable to covid and your mental health was suffering, etc. I could understand your amount of stress but delaying receiving citizenship is not ruining your life or your future. Canada has not become anti-immigrant because the citizenship test isn't going ahead although there have been virtual citizenship ceremonies. Based on your posts you would think that immigrants in Canada are in a similar position like the Rohingya in Myanmar or this was the Arab spring and you are calling for overthrowing the government because of the delay of the citizenship test. Given your strong language you'd think that new immigrants that hadn't received citizenship yet were not being given the same access to treatments for covid and support programs due to covid. Yes it is unfortunate that people will need to wait longer to take their citizenship test and get their citizenship but people are dying due to lack of basic medical care, people are losing their homes, people are going without food, many live in countries with no safety net, live in countries in severe financial crisis. etc. When calling for immigrants to rise up against the injustice of no citizenship test I would spend some time looking at current injustices and suffering across the world. You also seem to be suggesting delaying the citizenship test, which is somehow destroying immigrants in Canada, will cause all immigrants to vote against Liberals because they delayed the test and Conservatives because some conservatives have said "Canadians first" in an unknown context. First of all "Canadians first" includes a large amount of immigrants, children of immigrants, grandchildren of immigrants, etc. but I think immigrants are smart enough to vote on a party's political platform and record including how they dealt with covid as a whole and not just the delay in the citizenship test. If not you're essentially saying all immigrants must vote NDP or green party because the conservatives and the liberals are somehow trying to destroy immigrants.

For your own health I'd encourage you to look what is going on in the world, how people are dying alone, how healthcare workers are being worked to their limits and are dealing with the trauma of witnessing so many dying awful deaths all alone, how lines for food banks start the night before because people are so desperate, etc. Canada is far from perfect and so is there plans to combat covid but delaying the citizenship tests is not destroying immigrants and their hopes and dreams. Nobody has been enjoying 2020 with covid and all the limitations, changes and challenges that come with it. It is all relative and I think many would feel lucky being in Canada. When I read how you felt all your hopes and dreams were being destroyed only being a PR in Canada and having to wait for citizenship and I think of people having been displaced to a refugee or IDP camps having often lost their home, family members, their business or job and often living without adequate sanitation, living in crowded conditions, without access to medical care, etc. If someone said they had lost all their hopes and dreams and their government or their host government was trying to minimize their concerns and they needed to get together and protest for their rights to work, to get education for their children, to have a safe and suitable housing for the weather conditions, to have access to enough food and clean water, have access to basic medical care, etc. I could understand. We are still very lucky to be in Canada during the pandemic.

bluffmaster88

Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How is Canada destroying immigrants by delaying citizenship for at the most 1-2 years due to a pandemic? Nobody is saying that you won't receive citizenship if you qualify. This shouldn't be causing you so much stress that it is making you disabled. If your business wasn't doing well due to covid, you'd lost your job, you were struggling to pay for food or a roof over your head, you or your family member was sick with covid, you had been in quarantine for almost a year because you were vulnerable to covid and your mental health was suffering, etc. I could understand your amount of stress but delaying receiving citizenship is not ruining your life or your future. Canada has not become anti-immigrant because the citizenship test isn't going ahead although there have been virtual citizenship ceremonies. Based on your posts you would think that immigrants in Canada are in a similar position like the Rohingya in Myanmar or this was the Arab spring and you are calling for overthrowing the government because of the delay of the citizenship test. Given your strong language you'd think that new immigrants that hadn't received citizenship yet were not being given the same access to treatments for covid and support programs due to covid. Yes it is unfortunate that people will need to wait longer to take their citizenship test and get their citizenship but people are dying due to lack of basic medical care, people are losing their homes, people are going without food, many live in countries with no safety net, live in countries in severe financial crisis. etc. When calling for immigrants to rise up against the injustice of no citizenship test I would spend some time looking at current injustices and suffering across the world. You also seem to be suggesting delaying the citizenship test, which is somehow destroying immigrants in Canada, will cause all immigrants to vote against Liberals because they delayed the test and Conservatives because some conservatives have said "Canadians first" in an unknown context. First of all "Canadians first" includes a large amount of immigrants, children of immigrants, grandchildren of immigrants, etc. but I think immigrants are smart enough to vote on a party's political platform and record including how they dealt with covid as a whole and not just the delay in the citizenship test. If not you're essentially saying all immigrants must vote NDP or green party because the conservatives and the liberals are somehow trying to destroy immigrants.

For your own health I'd encourage you to look what is going on in the world, how people are dying alone, how healthcare workers are being worked to their limits and are dealing with the trauma of witnessing so many dying awful deaths all alone, how lines for food banks start the night before because people are so desperate, etc. Canada is far from perfect and so is there plans to combat covid but delaying the citizenship tests is not destroying immigrants and their hopes and dreams. Nobody has been enjoying 2020 with covid and all the limitations, changes and challenges that come with it. It is all relative and I think many would feel lucky being in Canada. When I read how you felt all your hopes and dreams were being destroyed only being a PR in Canada and having to wait for citizenship and I think of people having been displaced to a refugee or IDP camps having often lost their home, family members, their business or job and often living without adequate sanitation, living in crowded conditions, without access to medical care, etc. If someone said they had lost all their hopes and dreams and their government or their host government was trying to minimize their concerns and they needed to get together and protest for their rights to work, to get education for their children, to have a safe and suitable housing for the weather conditions, to have access to enough food and clean water, have access to basic medical care, etc. I could understand. We are still very lucky to be in Canada during the pandemic.

Recently there are lot of biased political opinions posted in this forum. With what is happening around the world, this could be part of disinformation campaign to sow distrust among certain group of people. This is particularly happening in citizenship section, where future voters will be visiting and their desparation is being tried to be misused.

People whose life/career plan are really at stake are international students/families waiting to be reunited. They are also expressing displeasure but not to the extent like here. So whatever being posted needs to taken with a pinch of salt.

piotrqc

Aug 10, 2020
For many of us citizenship would bring a sense of "security" that we deeply crave. Living in Quebec I feel a sense of anxiety all the time. An anxiety not too different from what felt I in 2016 when I used to live in the US.

Citizenship dramatically changes that.
It gives a voice to the voiceless.
A feeling of control over your destiny.

I find it unacceptable that the Trudeau government hasn't got its act together to implement a 20 question online test in over 8 months.
To me this screams that the current government doesn't care.
Not even the slightest shred.
We are literally at the bottom of the pile in their list of priorities.
We must make them care.
We asked nicely, now we have to take stronger steps.
Take control.
If you don't, no one else will.
So that the next time someone says "If you don't like it, go back to your country",
You can say politely yet sternly,
"This is my country. And I'm here to stay."

piotrqc

Aug 10, 2020
It seems that some voices that want to discourage people from claiming their rights have come back.

These voices who want to make people accept, by all means, the status quo, and convince them to remain silent and passivity.

Promote the status quo, and discourage people with a defeatist rhetoric that approaches blame and blame, close to accusation ('' You must be happy and thankful to be here = so shut up, even if the last part is implicit and unclear), is, in my opinion, as dangerous as speech of catastrophism.

I think it is absolutely necessary to use all legal and legitimate means to pressure and lobby to push for the resumption of citizenship tests. There is nothing wrong with asking that. It is even necessary. (And it is our right, I recall it = The Canadian charter of rights and freedoms guarantees it to us).

The spousal sponsors have been lobbying (and continue to do so now, they still do demonstratios to keep the pressure on), and they got what they want ... I don't see why we are going to refrain from do it ?

Why should we just shut up and watch? How does our lobbying bother you?

You certainly already have your citizenship ... Why give you the impression of being very concerned about this cause? ... What are your real motivations? ...

... Especially that, I think at my level, that to say that an eventual (and very probable) majority conservative government will be a real threat for the candidates for a Canadian citizenship. It is not catastrophism, but a realistic and very probable vision (Comforting situations what I say have already happened in the past).

To assume that, by some miracle, They do not cancel and return requests, and do not change the law and the criteria by making them more severe, retroactively, it will be very possible that - at least - maintain the status quo as he was previously. That is to say before their arrival. That's why I think we absolutely have to push the current government to do something, and as quickly as possible ...

It would be better if the Conservatives came up with something already started, rather than nothing at all ... It will be more difficult for them, for example, to cancel a pilot project of virtual tests ... And very easy for them to maintain silence and the status quo if nothing is done just before they come. Citizenship will not be a priority for the Conservatives, it is something commonly accepted, I do not need to develop ...

I think the deadline for us is the tabling of the next budget in the spring of 2021, because that means an automatic vote of confidence. This is the key date, we must continue our efforts to ensure that something changes before this date (The least of things would be an announcement with clear dates, and even better: An online resumption of the tests).

I really wish this pandemic gives IRCC and similar organizations time to reflect how outdated, inflexible and noncommunicative their systems were.

A reasonable delay was understandable since humanity didn't face a pandemic of this scale in 100 years. But this beyond reasonable delay coupled with absolute lack of communication is affecting lives. You can spend an eternity but cant convince me otherwise!

, Piotr.