+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CBC article about CIC survey and new regulations.

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
Good article but what is surprising is the amount of replies that not only agree with tightening the rules but making them even stricter.

This really shows, that a lot of Canadians are now sick and tired of the whole immigration fraud market.

It seems to me, that some time in the very near future, the whole family class system is going to be over hauled. I doubt it will effect most of the people currently on the forum but sure will effect those future marriages a few years down the line.

I will watch this with interest.

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
Glad you enjoyed the article angelbrat. :)
I thought it would put a different light to all of this new regulation stuff at least until we can see how it is planned out and emphasized in the new manual. Hopefully some won't feel as worried.

Though like you I did notice the comments and it had me concerned. I had no idea that many felt badly about immigration.
But then again I did too about the US but that was before immigrating to another country was ever in the picture. So I figure unless you are impacted yourself, you won't understand it and probably won't like it. Unfortunately I can see it getting stricter as soon as next year. Hopefully not though.

L

limanoid

A lot of the comments on the article at the website are pretty freaking scary. Internet really reveals the true character of some people! Or else some people just like to get attention from people... Some of the comments weren't just against fraud but against immigration in general! yikes!

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
the reason why so many people are against..is a direct relation to increasing strains on the public system e.g. increased waiting times for medical care, increased taxes to support welfare systems social systems etc.So the canadian public sees the more people come in..the more the strain on the resources and the more taxes and they are finding it harder and harder to live wiht the same income and they think that its because of all the foreign marriages, refugees etc. So they want it to be halted until the strians on the public system cease. and it does not help that everyone knows someone doing marriage fraud.

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
HoneyBird said:
it does not help that everyone knows someone doing marriage fraud.
Really? I don't.

If you do, do us all a favour and report it. That's the number 1 reason so many of us have to wait through a broken process for too long just to be with the person we love. It's like tax evaders, they're not just helping themselves, they're actively hurting all of us.

Kess

May 19, 2010
BC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2010
AOR Received.
09-30-2010
File Transfer...
07-09-2010
Med's Done....
25-05-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
11-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2011
LANDED..........
06-09-2011
I hate the comment section of CBC's website. That's one place that should demand the use of real names to weed out trolls.

It would've been nice for CBC to find another example of a fraudulent marriage instead of just the one they reported on recently. I'd like to see more stats too.

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
matthewc said:
Really? I don't.

If you do, do us all a favour and report it. That's the number 1 reason so many of us have to wait through a broken process for too long just to be with the person we love. It's like tax evaders, they're not just helping themselves, they're actively hurting all of us.
the one i know of is decades old. he got married, got status, got divorced, got remarried and now is about 20 years in to that relationship. plus many people here have talked about people they know that married for papers!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
I like how CIC says they don't have an exact number for the number of cases of rejected applications that were deemed to be marriages of convenience! They know perfectly well why they reject each and every case, and so could add up the numbers and tell us how many people they rejected last year because they thought the marriage was fraudulent.

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
limanoid said:
A lot of the comments on the article at the website are pretty freaking scary. Internet really reveals the true character of some people! Or else some people just like to get attention from people... Some of the comments weren't just against fraud but against immigration in general! yikes!
Many are against immigration in general: That's what happens in a mosaic.

B

buddhadimple

My partner and I were talking about the survey and the CBC article the other day. One of the Comments on the CBC article said,

"As someone who is the child of immigrant parents, I have to say that this needs to happen. Everybody who comes from an immigrant family knows somebody who has come to Canada using marriage fraud. It's much more common than most Canadians would think."

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2010/09/28/immigration-marriages-sponsorship-survey.html#socialcomments#ixzz128l9uhxb

That is a pretty shocking comment. My partner, being English, cares deeply about Immigration issues in any country. The UK could have done much better with its Immigration policies and is only now trying to clean up their mess but it's simply too late. I don't blame people for saying to just close the Family Class altogether. The truth is that Family Class immigrants, many times, ARE a burden.

Look at us; my partner would not qualify as a Skilled Worker. He's in University now. When we return, we plan on both being in University. It's not like by accepting him, they will be gaining a new Rocket Scientist or Chemical Engineer. They'll be accepting him on the hopes that he contributes. There's no contract for him to sign with the government that talks about what his role will be or whether he even plans to work at all. I personally think that the Principle Applicant should have to sign some kind of agreement with the Canadian government so that it's clear what the expectations are. No one should be able to just show up at the airport, call up their spouse and say, "Hey. Don't bother coming. You'll never see me again."

As it stands now, I am proud of my country. I am taught about the sacrifices that were made to build it in school, and I hear stories about how my own family contributed to its development. My Italian grandfather ran one of the first and only saw mills in Vancouver and employed (at the same wage as white Canadians) the Chinese railroad builders who were swindled into being slaves for Canada. My Norwegian ancestors helped stop the great fire of 1886 in Vancouver. That's my mom's side. My dad's side also saw my English grandmother of a wealthy family leave it all to live with the Canadian pilot she met during WWII as a Military Clerk. The Canadian Pilot, my grandfather, was something like 5th generation Canadian from a long line of Scots from Saskatchewan to Nova Scotia. I have managed to trace them back tot he 1600s in Perth, Scotland. The point is that they were there during the first settlement of the country and I feel a very real sense of connection to Canada. When I was 17, I was invited by my First Nations friend to witness a cultural event called a Return. It's hard to explain and you're not really supposed to talk about it in detail but it was just another special thing about Canada that I will never forget.

Although I agree with Immigration, and indeed I agree that Canada needs Immigrants, I think there needs to be much, much more emphasis on giving obligations to Applicants as well as Sponsors. I do think Canada tends to think too much about being "politically correct" and doesn't want to "rock the boat". I really believe that Immigrants should be given the opportunity, and maybe even have it mandatory, to do something for the better of the country; to help them build a sense of connection to it. If that means volunteering a certain number of hours during the first year, then I would agree to that. I'm not talking about assimilation or making everyone "be more Canadian", but I do believe that society would feel much better about Immigration if they thought that Immigrants were coming to be involved. Often times, Immigrants (especially the Family Class) just live in little communities of their own nationality and never integrate with the rest of Canadian society. It happens everywhere - the English set up camp in Spain and none of them speak Spanish or integrate with Spanish cultures. They just live in little English communities within Spain. They have no connections to Spain, its history, its people, and when they stay so long that they become Citizens and then voters, they will have a say in the future of a country to which they have no personal connection. I just think it's a recipe for unrest between cultures and communities. Vancouver now has communities within communities - the Chinese, the Japanese, the Indian, the whatever. Gangs develop because they have no real connection to Canada, so they find a connection with their smaller community. They rival each other because they think of themselves as different from the other. If everyone felt a connection Canada and felt more attached to being Canadian, I think a lot of this would just not happen. Everyone would just live together and although everyone would have that special thing that makes them who they are (like the country from which they come, or the religion they may have), ultimately everyone is Canadian and in this ship together as partners in developing the nation.

It is sad that the system is being abused, but I do sympathise with those who are saying things like, "Just shut the doors to the Family Class altogether." There is a growing unrest about it. I think there is still time to turn it around but there needs to be drastic measures. Maybe it will be harder, but I just think it would be worth it. My partner and I were talking about it the other day, and I said that if it meant that we couldn't be together because of the strict rules, I think (and he agreed!) that our relationship would be fairly insignificant to the actual development of the country. If it meant we would have to sacrifice being together so that the country would be a better place, I just couldn't object to that. We both are "bigger picture" kind of people so we try to separate ourselves and our own situation from decision-making. We both love Canada, and we truly want to see what's best for it so that it can continue to be the unique place that it is for future generations.

Anyway, in summary, I agree with Immigration but I think we have to get real: many times the Family Class is a burden. I think what we need to do as a country is to find ways to make sure that it isn't; to make sure that Immigrants, regardless of the method on which they entered Canada, feel a sense of connection to the country and understand the expectations from them as well as the expectations they should have from the country. With that, I think society would be more willing to accept Immigration in general. It would not only limit Marriages of Convenience but it would also limit the growing cultural tensions within communities already.

That's my two cents anyway.

boasorte

Aug 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Halifax
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for sharing! ;)

Asta

Jan 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2010
Doc's Request.
05-10-2010
Med's Done....
18-01-2010
Interview........
-
LANDED..........
01-03-2011
worst is..that all canadians are immigrants, and now they talking big! they all migrated into this country in their own time. only native indians are real Canadians.
well..Canada it is or not, humans always stay humans, effing animals, who care only bout themselves.

B

buddhadimple

Well, even First Nations people came from Asia.

Philosophically, we're all immigrants (except Africans, since apparently Africa is where the genetic history of mankind stems from).

Asta

Jan 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2010
Doc's Request.
05-10-2010
Med's Done....
18-01-2010
Interview........
-
LANDED..........
01-03-2011
buddhadimple said:
Well, even First Nations people came from Asia.

Philosophically, we're all immigrants (except Africans, since apparently Africa is where the genetic history of mankind stems from).
i guess thats too deep already :D

i say why they dont use lie detectors on interview. interogator would be sure then who lies who not. but u know it costs money, why to spend, if u can just easily reject not caring at all :-X