+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Caught in a dilemma

astraldust

Feb 24, 2019
Hi,
I am on a PGWP (valid through 2023) and working full time in a skilled job in Ontario. My wife and 3-year old child (both in Ontario) will have their visitor status expire by end of this month.
1. Should I apply for a visitor record or a OWP for my wife? Should I file for both at the same time?
2. Should I apply for a visitor record for my child or a Study Permit? My child is already registered with the local public school. Classes start in September.

If it matters, wife is pregnant and our OINP application has been recently submitted.

Requesting suggestions as their visitor status expiry is approaching soon.

Thank you!

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
Hi,
I am on a PGWP (valid through 2023) and working full time in a skilled job in Ontario. My wife and 3-year old child (both in Ontario) will have their visitor status expire by end of this month.
1. Should I apply for a visitor record or a OWP for my wife? Should I file for both at the same time?
2. Should I apply for a visitor record for my child or a Study Permit? My child is already registered with the local public school. Classes start in September.

If it matters, wife is pregnant and our OINP application has been recently submitted.

Requesting suggestions as their visitor status expiry is approaching soon.

Thank you!
1. Apply for OWP and that will give her maintained status to keep staying in Canada once her current visitor status expires. Some people apply for both as a precaution in case there's a chance OWP being rejected, but technically not necessary.
2. Technically visitor record is enough, as a minor a study permit is not mandatory until secondary level inclusive. However in the long run, it might be easier to just have a study permit instead.

Reactions: canuck78

astraldust

Feb 24, 2019
1. Apply for OWP and that will give her maintained status to keep staying in Canada once her current visitor status expires. Some people apply for both as a precaution in case there's a chance OWP being rejected, but technically not necessary.
2. Technically visitor record is enough, as a minor a study permit is not mandatory until secondary level inclusive. However in the long run, it might be easier to just have a study permit instead.
Thank you very much!

astraldust

Feb 24, 2019
Would my minor child have to get a new Study Permit in case she moves to a different school? If yes, wouldn't it be better to just apply for a visitor record for her?

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
Would my minor child have to get a new Study Permit in case she moves to a different school? If yes, wouldn't it be better to just apply for a visitor record for her?
Your child doesn't require a study permit even if she moves to a different school until secondary level inclusive, so you can keep applying for a visitor record, but you'd have to renew that every 6 months. Whereas one study permit can last up to 3 years.

Reactions: astraldust

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your child doesn't require a study permit even if she moves to a different school until secondary level inclusive, so you can keep applying for a visitor record, but you'd have to renew that every 6 months. Whereas one study permit can last up to 3 years.
When entering Canada you can ask for the stay to last as long as your WP to avoid having to renew the visitor status often.

Reactions: astraldust

astraldust

Feb 24, 2019
Hi,
You both have been very helpful with your kind suggestions. Thank you.
I have finalized the application and just need 2 clarifications to wrap up please:
  1. My wife and kid entered Canada on 29-Dec-2020 and so their visitor status will expire on 28-June-2021. For Employment Start Date / Study Start date on imm5710e / imm5709e what should I mention: 29-Dec-2020 OR 28-June-2020 ?
  2. I have been asked to submit IMM5646 for my 3 year old kid who is living with us (parents) in Canada. What should I do?
Is your family member currently, or will they be, living in Canada with a parent or legal guardian for their entire stay? YES
Is your family member travelling with a parent who does not have full legal custody of them? NO

astraldust

Feb 24, 2019
Hi,
Thanks for being so helpful so far.
I have finalized the application and just need 2 clarifications to wrap up please:
  1. My wife and kid entered Canada on 29-Dec-2020 and so their visitor status will expire on 28-June-2021. For Employment Start Date / Study Start date on imm5710e / imm5709e what should I mention: 29-Dec-2020 OR 28-June-2020 ?
  2. I have been asked to submit IMM5646 for my 3 year old kid who is living with us (parents) in Canada. What should I do?
Is your family member currently, or will they be, living in Canada with a parent or legal guardian for their entire stay? YES
Is your family member travelling with a parent who does not have full legal custody of them? NO

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
You both have been very helpful with your kind suggestions. Thank you.
You should be applying for an OWP for your spouse and a visitor extension for your child. I would ask for the visitor status to be extended until 2023 to coincide with the end of your PGWP. Depending on the birthdate of your child they may not qualify for public schooling this year.

astraldust

Feb 24, 2019
You should be applying for an OWP for your spouse and a visitor extension for your child. I would ask for the visitor status to be extended until 2023 to coincide with the end of your PGWP. Depending on the birthdate of your child they may not qualify for public schooling this year.
Thank you. I ended up applying OWP for wife and study permit for kid as I was able to get a letter of acceptance from the kindergarden school.