category confusion

ciscoccie

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I am interested in applying for Canadian immigration and I just saw the list of fields in which they are accepting this . Based on my past professional experience my field should match "2147 Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers)" however I don't see this listed there . They might not be accepting these kinds of candidates however there are 2 more categories where I match i.e. "2281 Computer network technicians" and "2171 Information Systems analysts and consultants" .

My past work has been related to Network Security Engineer where I used to deploy network security products in organizations because of which I feel that I can match these 2 categories , I feel that a lot of people would apply on 2281 as it is a bit generic and while there will be less candidates for 2171 as it related to security side . Considering all this I feel that I should apply for 2171 , please guide and correct me if I am wrong .

Also what importance does these categories have when it comes to moving to Canada , does this mean that if i apply for a computer network technician category and somehow gets selected I would only be offered a technician job ? My past designations were Network Engineer , Network Security Engineer , Security Consultant and Network Security Contractor I am not sure if anyone out there would know exact so just a brief about me would be that i am a CCIE in security and a brief about that could be found from a wikipedia link which says

"The CCIE Security track focuses specifically on network security, and certifies individuals with expert level knowledge of specific security protocols and components such as VPN solutions, ASA, IPS and IOS security features. Individuals certified as CCIE Security are certified in configuring complex, end-to-end secure networks, troubleshooting integrated environments, and understanding common attacks and mitigation techniques."

nishesh3003

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Oakville Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2014
Doc's Request.
Submitted with application
AOR Received.
16-01-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
13-01-2015
Med's Request
20-01-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2015
LANDED..........
31-07-2015
ciscoccie said:
Hi,

I am interested in applying for Canadian immigration and I just saw the list of fields in which they are accepting this . Based on my past professional experience my field should match "2147 Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers)" however I don't see this listed there . They might not be accepting these kinds of candidates however there are 2 more categories where I match i.e. "2281 Computer network technicians" and "2171 Information Systems analysts and consultants" .

My past work has been related to Network Security Engineer where I used to deploy network security products in organizations because of which I feel that I can match these 2 categories , I feel that a lot of people would apply on 2281 as it is a bit generic and while there will be less candidates for 2171 as it related to security side . Considering all this I feel that I should apply for 2171 , please guide and correct me if I am wrong .

Also what importance does these categories have when it comes to moving to Canada , does this mean that if i apply for a computer network technician category and somehow gets selected I would only be offered a technician job ? My past designations were Network Engineer , Network Security Engineer , Security Consultant and Network Security Contractor I am not sure if anyone out there would know exact so just a brief about me would be that i am a CCIE in security and a brief about that could be found from a wikipedia link which says

"The CCIE Security track focuses specifically on network security, and certifies individuals with expert level knowledge of specific security protocols and components such as VPN solutions, ASA, IPS and IOS security features. Individuals certified as CCIE Security are certified in configuring complex, end-to-end secure networks, troubleshooting integrated environments, and understanding common attacks and mitigation techniques."
Hello CiscoCCIE

As it stands - 2281 and 2171 have pretty much the same cap statistics on the CIC Website. But going by my gut - I feel 2171 will be a little more competitive than 2281 as far as FSW Applications are concerned.

First thing - if you apply as 2281 and you are granted a PR, you need NOT work as Computer Network Tehnician or vice versa. The FSW NOC Category through which you land in Canada has no bearing on what job or industry you wish to select once you are in Canada. If you qualify for Network Security Related jobs (you are a CCIE so you will) you can apply to such jobs and give interviews.

Now to select 2281 or 2171 rests entirely upon you. You need to review the Duties and Responsibilities in both the NOCs and see which one you fit in in terms of the 'Letter of Experience' that you are able to provide. This is not a matter of designation or qualification (certifications). Its about which duties are a closest match to the Letter of References you are able to provide to the VO justifying that you have performed such duties in the past. Remember - a CCIE's job is more complex than a Network Administrator's but showing that you have performed something more complex than the NOC you wish to apply for is'nt going to help your case.

Choose the NOC according to the letter of experience that you are able to provide. According to me you should go for 2171.

ciscoccie

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks a lot for detailed reply .

Its clear now that category should be selected based on past experience and job experience letters . I might be able to edit my past experience letters with some different words which would match that category as I have good terms with them which is not common these days :) . Other than that do you have any idea about British qualifications , I hold a Diploma in IT from British Computer Society . It is considered as ofqual level 5 which means 2 years degree program and is recognized by US as an associate degree ( 2 years post-secondary ) , do you know anyone who applied using this , I am bit worried as this is not a pure university thing but is a UK stuff and is recognized by UK Engineering Council and has a Royal Charter ?

I hold a lot of certifications when it comes to this domain i.e. Network Security but I am not sure if it would be of that worth in immigration process as they only ask for academics record ( cert/diploma ) , I cant get credit using CCIE and other related things right with immigration ? however I can utilize them when I get selected for job hunting .

nishesh3003

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Oakville Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16-01-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
13-01-2015
Med's Request
20-01-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2015
LANDED..........
31-07-2015
ciscoccie said:
Thanks a lot for detailed reply .

Its clear now that category should be selected based on past experience and job experience letters . I might be able to edit my past experience letters with some different words which would match that category as I have good terms with them which is not common these days :) . Other than that do you have any idea about British qualifications , I hold a Diploma in IT from British Computer Society . It is considered as ofqual level 5 which means 2 years degree program and is recognized by US as an associate degree ( 2 years post-secondary ) , do you know anyone who applied using this , I am bit worried as this is not a pure university thing but is a UK stuff and is recognized by UK Engineering Council and has a Royal Charter ?

I hold a lot of certifications when it comes to this domain i.e. Network Security but I am not sure if it would be of that worth in immigration process as they only ask for academics record ( cert/diploma ) , I cant get credit using CCIE and other related things right with immigration ? however I can utilize them when I get selected for job hunting .
- Are you saying you do not have a University degree are a post secondary diploma ?
- If the Diploma from BCS is the only diploma you have try going to the WES site and see if its listed.
- Certifications will not be of any credit during FSW Processing. They sure are valuable post landing for landing a job.

ciscoccie

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the reply.

I only have BCS Diploma , you can find more info from bcs.org/category/18013 . It says

"The Diploma in IT is the academic equivalent to year two of a university honours degree in England, recognised by Ofqual as a level 5 qualification. "

WES tool mentions of Degree/Diploma but in scroll down menu it only shows Degrees , it also lacks Diplomas like HND also which are famous across UK and are considered as second year of university . I have sent an email to WES regarding this and would wait for their reply, yesterday I gave a call to University of torronto as they are also offering simillar services and they said that they cant tell this on a call as this equaliency thing is a part of the assesment process and I would need to undergo the entire process for this . They told me that the process takes 3 weeks after the date of my documented delivery to them and if I am not mistaken WES is also offering this within 3 weeks . University of torronto staff told me that I should only provide them post secondary educational documents which means I shouldnt give them O Levels and A Levels documents .Can you please guide me which one would be better .

A similar kind of case regarding BCS is posted on this forum where someone got to Canada using this

canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/am-i-need-to-sit-for-the-english-test-celpip-for-citizenship-t183038.0.html

This guy showed up on forum on Jan 2014 and I am not sure if he checks the forum now . I have sent him a message .

nishesh3003

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Oakville Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16-01-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
13-01-2015
Med's Request
20-01-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2015
LANDED..........
31-07-2015
ciscoccie said:
Thanks for the reply.

I only have BCS Diploma , you can find more info from bcs.org/category/18013 . It says

"The Diploma in IT is the academic equivalent to year two of a university honours degree in England, recognised by Ofqual as a level 5 qualification. "

WES tool mentions of Degree/Diploma but in scroll down menu it only shows Degrees , it also lacks Diplomas like HND also which are famous across UK and are considered as second year of university . I have sent an email to WES regarding this and would wait for their reply, yesterday I gave a call to University of torronto as they are also offering simillar services and they said that they cant tell this on a call as this equaliency thing is a part of the assesment process and I would need to undergo the entire process for this . They told me that the process takes 3 weeks after the date of my documented delivery to them and if I am not mistaken WES is also offering this within 3 weeks . University of torronto staff told me that I should only provide them post secondary educational documents which means I shouldnt give them O Levels and A Levels documents .Can you please guide me which one would be better .

A similar kind of case regarding BCS is posted on this forum where someone got to Canada using this

canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/am-i-need-to-sit-for-the-english-test-celpip-for-citizenship-t183038.0.html

This guy showed up on forum on Jan 2014 and I am not sure if he checks the forum now . I have sent him a message .
WES will take 3-4 weeks (in the current situation its safe to assume its going to be 4 weeks).

excluding education - what is your total points ?

ciscoccie

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Language - 24 Points
CLB 9 , note that I havnt yet appeared for IELTS exam , my english is good btw . I plan to appear end of this month .

Education - 19 Points
Canadian post-secondary degree or diploma for a two year program or equal ( BCS Diploma in IT )

Experience - 15 points
I have 6+ years of experience in same category ( Computer Network Security Engineer/Consultant )

Age - 12 Points
My age comes in between 18-35

Adapptability - 5 points
My wife english language - CBL 4 , I can get 5 points out of it . It required IELTS 4.0 bands on each section

Above is my calculation and it makes points goes to 75 . If due to some reasons I am unable to get CBL 9 and get CBL 8 instead my points would be 20 rather than 24 on the language section . It would then make a total of 71 . I havnt yet given the IELTS exam and my wife hasnt too , I wanted to get a confirmation on education before giving it a hit but on the other hand I feel that I need to make it faster as the quota might get filled up .

Please provide some comments on my calculation .

nishesh3003

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Oakville Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16-01-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
13-01-2015
Med's Request
20-01-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2015
LANDED..........
31-07-2015
ciscoccie said:
Language - 24 Points
CLB 9 , note that I havnt yet appeared for IELTS exam , my english is good btw . I plan to appear end of this month .

Education - 19 Points
Canadian post-secondary degree or diploma for a two year program or equal ( BCS Diploma in IT )

Experience - 15 points
I have 6+ years of experience in same category ( Computer Network Security Engineer/Consultant )

Age - 12 Points
My age comes in between 18-35

Adapptability - 5 points
My wife english language - CBL 4 , I can get 5 points out of it . It required IELTS 4.0 bands on each section

Above is my calculation and it makes points goes to 75 . If due to some reasons I am unable to get CBL 9 and get CBL 8 instead my points would be 20 rather than 24 on the language section . It would then make a total of 71 . I havnt yet given the IELTS exam and my wife hasnt too , I wanted to get a confirmation on education before giving it a hit but on the other hand I feel that I need to make it faster as the quota might get filled up .

Please provide some comments on my calculation .
Your case looks pretty solid to me (going by the points). I would suggest you submit for WES ASAP and register for IELTS.

Good luck !

ciscoccie

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks.

One more question , I can see on website at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 edition of the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC) but when I search 2171 I dont see category .

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2011/QuickSearch.aspx?val65=2171

nishesh3003

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Oakville Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16-01-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
13-01-2015
Med's Request
20-01-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2015
LANDED..........
31-07-2015
ciscoccie said:
Thanks.

One more question , I can see on website at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 edition of the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC) but when I search 2171 I dont see category .

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2011/QuickSearch.aspx?val65=2171
If you are referring to 2171 as an eligible NOC - then its listed here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/complete-applications.asp

ciscoccie

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks , following is what my experience letter says . I worked in this company for 68 months . Rest 6 to 8 months I can show with this new company but I need to ask experience letter from here since I am still working here . Can you please look at it again and recommend me category , someone yesterday was telling me that people got rejected as they applied for xyz category but the authorities later said that this person is more suitable for category abc and rejected the application . I saw on canadian website that more applications are now accepted for 2171 than 2281 . I think its mainly because 2171 is a bit generic and a lot of people are applying for it . Comments please

Following is my experience letter however this can also be edited and re-issued by my ex-company . Please provide comments

-Lead Team of technical support engineers and Network Engineers
-Monitor network performance to determine where adjustments need to be made in the future.
- recommend policies and strategies for designing , analyzing , optimizing and implementing large scale secure data network solutions and network designs.
- develop network design strategies according to customer needs.
- develop and maintain network documentation and procedures as necessary and required for network operations,
- Maintain and administer network and related to computing environments including computer hardware , systems software and all configurations
design different levels of redundancy scenarios in case of network failures .
-plan coordinate, and implement network securty measures to protect data, software and hardware
-diagnoise, troubleshoot and resolve hardware, software or other network and system problems and replace defective components when necessary
- synchronize organizsions entire network system environment and structural design
- create proposals , BOQs , High level network designs , low level network designs for complex large scale routes and switched enterprise network projects
- provide technical support to clients including but not limited to designing, documenting , maintaining and upgrading data networks .

nishesh3003

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Oakville Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16-01-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
13-01-2015
Med's Request
20-01-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2015
LANDED..........
31-07-2015
ciscoccie said:
Thanks , following is what my experience letter says . I worked in this company for 68 months . Rest 6 to 8 months I can show with this new company but I need to ask experience letter from here since I am still working here . Can you please look at it again and recommend me category , someone yesterday was telling me that people got rejected as they applied for xyz category but the authorities later said that this person is more suitable for category abc and rejected the application . I saw on canadian website that more applications are now accepted for 2171 than 2281 . I think its mainly because 2171 is a bit generic and a lot of people are applying for it . Comments please

Following is my experience letter however this can also be edited and re-issued by my ex-company . Please provide comments

-Lead Team of technical support engineers and Network Engineers
-Monitor network performance to determine where adjustments need to be made in the future.
- recommend policies and strategies for designing , analyzing , optimizing and implementing large scale secure data network solutions and network designs.
- develop network design strategies according to customer needs.
- develop and maintain network documentation and procedures as necessary and required for network operations,
- Maintain and administer network and related to computing environments including computer hardware , systems software and all configurations
design different levels of redundancy scenarios in case of network failures .
-plan coordinate, and implement network securty measures to protect data, software and hardware
-diagnoise, troubleshoot and resolve hardware, software or other network and system problems and replace defective components when necessary
- synchronize organizsions entire network system environment and structural design
- create proposals , BOQs , High level network designs , low level network designs for complex large scale routes and switched enterprise network projects
- provide technical support to clients including but not limited to designing, documenting , maintaining and upgrading data networks .
It does not look like it has a lot to say about 2171. Looks a little more inclined towards 2281. However create proposals , BOQs , High level network designs , low level network designs for complex large scale routes and switched enterprise network projects may take the whole thing to a different level as this makes it look a little like 2147. If you choose 2281 - I would recommend removing this bit.

komalhassaan

Mar 11, 2018
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Hi, can you share your WES evaluation on your Ofqual please?

ciscoccie

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, can you share your WES evaluation on your Ofqual please?
When i did my evaluation my BCS PGD was not complete because of which I got 2 years diploma equal, if I would have complete the entire PGD from BCS then I am sure it would be 3 years as per canadian standards.

BCS PGD in UK is Ofqual Level 6 and BCS Diploma is Level 5. When i submitted I was short of 3 papers from PGD level, a final year project and 1 paper from Diploma level so I was in middle of somewhere :)

komalhassaan

Mar 11, 2018
When i did my evaluation my BCS PGD was not complete because of which I got 2 years diploma equal, if I would have complete the entire PGD from BCS then I am sure it would be 3 years as per canadian standards.

BCS PGD in UK is Ofqual Level 6 and BCS Diploma is Level 5. When i submitted I was short of 3 papers from PGD level, a final year project and 1 paper from Diploma level so I was in middle of somewhere :)
Thats a good news. You did them online (distance learning)? I am doing online. Do you know about pearson edexcel btec level 4, 5 and 7 extended diploma? Also, qualifi level 4 and 5 what can be wes evaluation?

https://learn.onlinebusinessschool.com/brochures/OBSLevel4&5BusinessBrochure.pdf

https://www.globaledulink.co.uk/course/pre-mba-pearson-btec-level-7-extended-diploma-in-strategic-management-and-leadership-qcf-2
I am thinking to take these. Lookkng for your reply :)