+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[Case Specific] Born-in-China Hong Kong citizen - How to get a birth certificate

MA108

Nov 1, 2015
Hi everyone,

I am now living in Vancouver and applying outland spousal sponsorship application with my Canadian wife.
However, I have an issue of getting my birth certificate.

I was born in China, but raised in Hong Kong. I am a Hong Kong permanent citizen with a Hong Kong passport and a Chinese birth certificate (My mom keeps my birth certificate in Hong Kong).
I understand that I need to submit an English version of my birth certificate, but I just don't know how.

I did some researches and I end up getting three different ways to do it.

Way 1
: Send the birth certificate to here and find a certified translator or a notary public in Canada (Vancouver in my case) to covert Chinese into English.

Way 2a: Fly back to Hong Kong and make a declaration in front of Commissioner for Oaths in Public Enquiry Service Center (free of charge). It states that I will not get a certified true copy by making declaration, but I may want to attach the document as an exhibit to the declaration and declare the exhibit is the true copy of the original document.

Way 2b: Find a notary public in Hong Kong (expensive, but I do get a certified true copy), and then send the certified true copy to me in Canada.

Way 3: Fly back to China and find a notary public in the place/city where I was born. Then get certified true copy and submit it as my birth certificate.

Which one is the correct way to get my birth certificate? Please help.

Thank you

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MA108 said:
Hi everyone,

I am now living in Vancouver and applying outland spousal sponsorship application with my Canadian wife.
However, I have an issue of getting my birth certificate.

I was born in China, but raised in Hong Kong. I am a Hong Kong permanent citizen with a Hong Kong passport and a Chinese birth certificate (My mom keeps my birth certificate in Hong Kong).
I understand that I need to submit an English version of my birth certificate, but I just don't know how.

I did some researches and I end up getting three different ways to do it.

Way 1
: Send the birth certificate to here and find a certified translator or a notary public in Canada (Vancouver in my case) to covert Chinese into English.

Way 2a: Fly back to Hong Kong and make a declaration in front of Commissioner for Oaths in Public Enquiry Service Center (free of charge). It states that I will not get a certified true copy by making declaration, but I may want to attach the document as an exhibit to the declaration and declare the exhibit is the true copy of the original document.

Way 2b: Find a notary public in Hong Kong (expensive, but I do get a certified true copy), and then send the certified true copy to me in Canada.

Way 3: Fly back to China and find a notary public in the place/city where I was born. Then get certified true copy and submit it as my birth certificate.

Which one is the correct way to get my birth certificate? Please help.

Thank you
Either 1 or 2b would be fine.

MA108

Nov 1, 2015
What about those love letters, msn chatting history, etc. Do I need a certified translator to translate it ?