+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Carrying funds: 10,000+ USD

seagirl

Mar 28, 2006
Dear Viewers and PMM,

Can anyone share their landing experiences from US to Canada? I am a single person and wanted to ask if it is ok to carry more than 10,000 CAD (with car and goods to follow) with me. Does US customs and Canadian customs question more if we have larger amount than what is rquired? What is the logic behind informing them if we carry more then 10,000 CAD. What if I am carrying jewelry with me, do i need to take pictures of each item I have or just put in general a total value of all my jewelry?

Best Regards,

Seagirl

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

seagirl said:
Dear Viewers and PMM,

Can anyone share their landing experiences from US to Canada? I am a single person and wanted to ask if it is ok to carry more than 10,000 CAD (with car and goods to follow) with me. Does US customs and Canadian customs question more if we have larger amount than what is rquired? What is the logic behind informing them if we carry more then 10,000 CAD. What if I am carrying jewelry with me, do i need to take pictures of each item I have or just put in general a total value of all my jewelry?

Best Regards,

Seagirl
1. It is called money laundering, that is why you have to report any amounts over 10K to both US and Canada customs, unless you want it seized. It is no big deal just fill out the forms and tell them it is settlement funds.
2. Jewellry should be itemized individually (unless costume) and their value noted for each piece on the goods accompanying. If they are in goods to follow, pictures and appraisal.

PMM

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
I heard that you have no US customs when you are leaving US, how you will declare the amount over $10K to the US customs?