+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Career opportunities for doctors

ITabassum

Newbie
Dec 8, 2016
3
0
Hi!
I wanted to know about career opportunities for doctors since im a clinical oncologist in pakistan and have applied for immigration in the family group.
Any IMGs who can share their experience
Thanks
 

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
4,455
362
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
2171
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
ITabassum said:
Hi!
I wanted to know about career opportunities for doctors since im a clinical oncologist in pakistan and have applied for immigration in the family group.
Any IMGs who can share their experience
Thanks
I will assume you are asking opportunities for physicians (unless you hold a phd you are not a doctor).

You will have to pass the board exams to revalidate your experience and skills. These are 4-5 exams, each with a cost of 1500 CAD and held once a year. Once you pass all of them you can line up for an opportunity as a physician.

Please look into the options:
http://mcc.ca/examinations/mccee/
 

ITabassum

Newbie
Dec 8, 2016
3
0
Jalex23 said:
I will assume you are asking opportunities for physicians (unless you hold a phd you are not a doctor).

You will have to pass the board exams to revalidate your experience and skills. These are 4-5 exams, each with a cost of 1500 CAD and held once a year. Once you pass all of them you can line up for an opportunity as a physician.
Thanks for taking time out for replying. Yes i am an mbbs doctor. Do u know of any other options than the clinical field like teaching opportunities in medical field or other master programmes leading to research or administrative jobs
thanks
 

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
4,455
362
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
2171
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
ITabassum said:
Thanks for taking time out for replying. Yes i am an mbbs doctor. Do u know of any other options than the clinical field like teaching opportunities in medical field or other master programmes leading to research or administrative jobs
thanks
Sure. Look into the different college posgrad programs and see what they ask for CV requirements. Some ask for more than others.

Good luck.
 

One chance

Member
Apr 3, 2017
14
6
It is terribly difficult for doctors (MBBS) in Canada.
Until you come and experience it for yourself, I do not want to discourage you.
But be ready, and do not be so shocked. You certainly will spend a lot of money on examinations. The examinations will take not less than 2 years to go through if you succeed at first sittings.
You wil have to do survival jobs to sustain your family. Student loans will help but you will eventually repay them.
You will face severe humiliations. No recognition for being a doctor. At best if you succeed, you will be a family physician. The specialists are not wanted here. But you could be an exception. A miracle perhaps. So I will not discourage you.
Perhaps the academic scene might be better. I don't know.
Or consider a change of profession. But even then you will have spend some years in school for the new profession. If you are not Canadian- trained, you are nothing.
 

Atlast

Star Member
Feb 20, 2017
85
10
One chance said:
It is terribly difficult for doctors (MBBS) in Canada.
Until you come and experience it for yourself, I do not want to discourage you.
But be ready, and do not be so shocked. You certainly will spend a lot of money on examinations. The examinations will take not less than 2 years to go through if you succeed at first sittings.
You wil have to do survival jobs to sustain your family. Student loans will help but you will eventually repay them.
You will face severe humiliations. No recognition for being a doctor. At best if you succeed, you will be a family physician. The specialists are not wanted here. But you could be an exception. A miracle perhaps. So I will not discourage you.
Perhaps the academic scene might be better. I don't know.
Or consider a change of profession. But even then you will have spend some years in school for the new profession. If you are not Canadian- trained, you are nothing.
I'm in the medical field but wouldn't be sitting the board exams. I would love to do a postgraduate studies in say Helath Management or Public health. Would I still need to be licenced?
 

AlternativeConn

Star Member
Dec 13, 2016
57
14
Hi Everyone,

Are you a doctor who was educated and worked outside of Canada?

If you live in Toronto and are currently exploring other ways to remain connected to the healthcare industry while pursuing accreditation or have selected not to pursue your licensure at this point in time, you would benefit from the Alternative Connections program offered by ACCES Employment.

It is designed to guide Internationally Educated Healthcare Professionals (IEHPs) in a regulated healthcare profession who possess healthcare expertise that they wish to transfer to one of four alternative career options: Healthcare Supply Chain; Sales of Pharmaceuticals or Medical Supplies; Clinical Office Administration; and Self-Employment (in a healthcare context).

This program is FREE-OF-CHARGE and is funded by Immigration, Refugees, Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
Program Benefit:
  • Develop Canadian workplace communications skills that pertain to the healthcare profession in Canada
  • Develop a BioTalent Canada portfolio that will assist career planning by identifying transferable skills
  • Receive ‘BioReady™’ recognition and gain access to ‘BioSkills Match’, a national database of BioReady talent
  • Receive ONE-TO-ONE EMPLOYMENT SUPPORT featuring, job search strategies, business start-up coaching and/or employment placement
  • CONNECT WITH EMPLOYER who are recruiting and hiring from ACCES Employment’s programs

For more information or to register, please message me by "clicking my user ID and Start a Conversation" or provide me with your email address and we will contact you accordingly.

Thanks,
ACCES Employment
 
  • Like
Reactions: DrVishu

DrVishu

Newbie
Nov 18, 2018
1
0
Hello, I am a doctor with Russian degree. I am planning on moving to Canada, have my PR visa. I was hoping i could get some info about which city, survival jobs, what would be the best course( if i have to take up a course in case i cannot find a decent survival job) and other general pointers for a new comer.Any info will be of great help..Thanks in advance
 

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
33,330
7,460
Hello, I am a doctor with Russian degree. I am planning on moving to Canada, have my PR visa. I was hoping i could get some info about which city, survival jobs, what would be the best course( if i have to take up a course in case i cannot find a decent survival job) and other general pointers for a new comer.Any info will be of great help..Thanks in advance
If you'd like to continue practicing medicine I would strongly reconsider moving to Canada. Such a small percentage of IMGs are able to get relicensed and if you are lucky to get a spot you will be probably limited to family medicine. There is an increased number of graduates in Canadian medical schools and Canadian medical students who have studied abroad get access to the remaining residency spots before IMGs. Sounds like it is easier to practice in Europe. Just want to warn you.