+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Car questions

OrangeCounty

Star Member
Dec 24, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear friends!

- Is it cheaper to buy a car in US and import it into Canada ?

- Which compact cars are suitable for Canadian winters in Toronto/Ottawa/Calgary? I have heard VW TDI Diesels are good at -40C too. I would like to hear any personal experiences on car recommendations

Thank You and have a great weekend!

OrangeCounty

HBeach78

Star Member
Jan 14, 2008
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-07-2009
Med's Done....
15/05/2009
Passport Req..
12/11/2009
VISA ISSUED...
18/11/2009
LANDED..........
29/11/2009
That's not an easy question to answer, as there are many options.

I just landing last week in Ontario and drove YES drove all the way to Calgary (got in last night as a matter of fact, right after the big snow storm/before the roads were plowed).

My 2001 Saturn SL2 handled the trip just fine, not saying this is the "best compact vehicle", but it sure worked well for me. I had all of my belonging and added a cargo carrier as well (needed a little extra room).

However, I will be looking into purchasing an engine oil heater just for good measure. I have noticed that many places are equipped to handle the vehicles that have engine block heaters. Plenty of places to plug in. I have already thought about getting my next vehicle with an OEM engine block heater.

My Saturn was a trooper travelling over 2500 miles over 5 days along the Trans Canada Highway.

Just know that if you buy a car from the USA and want to import it into Canada, you have to export it from the USA first. Other wise you will be in the same boat as I am ( it's not all bad) But I didn't know that the USA requires a car to be exported before being imported... I landed last week, and was told by an officer at the border that I shouldn't take the chance on driving my car back into the USA... If I happen to get the right officer that sees my US passport and Alberta plate, they could run my VIN and see it was never exported and I could get fined $5000.00 So needless to say, that is a chance I will not be taking.

Canada doesn't require that a car be exported, before getting imported... That's how I was able to bring my car in. However there is a fee of $204.75 that is required after you land... This fee goes to Transport Canada and you have the option to pay by credit card the day you land, or you the option of waiting 40 days and paying it over the phone also by credit card. I chose the 40 days (which is now like 30). But after your payment is received you will get a package in the mail directing you to where to take your car for inspection, I believe your plates will be sent to you as well. I think the instrument cluster has to be changed over as well, so that it reads kilometers as the primary reading. I will know more and will report back once I get my package.

I know I didn't answer your question, but hopefully my experience will help you decide what is best for you.

Good Luck!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

HBeach78 said:
That's not an easy question to answer, as there are many options.

I just landing last week in Ontario and drove YES drove all the way to Calgary (got in last night as a matter of fact, right after the big snow storm/before the roads were plowed).

My 2001 Saturn SL2 handled the trip just fine, not saying this is the "best compact vehicle", but it sure worked well for me. I had all of my belonging and added a cargo carrier as well (needed a little extra room).

However, I will be looking into purchasing an engine oil heater just for good measure. I have noticed that many places are equipped to handle the vehicles that have engine block heaters. Plenty of places to plug in. I have already thought about getting my next vehicle with an OEM engine block heater.

My Saturn was a trooper travelling over 2500 miles over 5 days along the Trans Canada Highway.

Just know that if you buy a car from the USA and want to import it into Canada, you have to export it from the USA first. Other wise you will be in the same boat as I am ( it's not all bad) But I didn't know that the USA requires a car to be exported before being imported... I landed last week, and was told by an officer at the border that I shouldn't take the chance on driving my car back into the USA... If I happen to get the right officer that sees my US passport and Alberta plate, they could run my VIN and see it was never exported and I could get fined $5000.00 So needless to say, that is a chance I will not be taking.

Canada doesn't require that a car be exported, before getting imported... That's how I was able to bring my car in. However there is a fee of $204.75 that is required after you land... This fee goes to Transport Canada and you have the option to pay by credit card the day you land, or you the option of waiting 40 days and paying it over the phone also by credit card. I chose the 40 days (which is now like 30). But after your payment is received you will get a package in the mail directing you to where to take your car for inspection, I believe your plates will be sent to you as well. I think the instrument cluster has to be changed over as well, so that it reads kilometers as the primary reading. I will know more and will report back once I get my package.

I know I didn't answer your question, but hopefully my experience will help you decide what is best for you.

Good Luck!
1. If you are going to the states in the near future, export the car, save some grief see: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/export_docs/motor_vehicle.xml
2. You won't have to change your instrument cluster, they will affix a sticker stating reads in miles.
3. Did you get the recall letter from the Manufacturer? You will need it for the inspection.

PMM

HBeach78

Star Member
Jan 14, 2008
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-07-2009
Med's Done....
15/05/2009
Passport Req..
12/11/2009
VISA ISSUED...
18/11/2009
LANDED..........
29/11/2009
A recall letter from the manufacturer? Would that be to prove to Customs that there aren't any open recalls for the vehicle?

It's too late for me to export my car anyway, I am already here in Alberta and the car was imported the day I landed. If I have the need to go back to the US for anything, I'll fly. One 2500 mile road trip was enough for 1 year :p

But for the original poster, Really consider getting a vehicle with an OEM block heater... or make sure you can get one that is compatible for what you have. After last night in Calgary, I'm kicking myself in the butt for not getting one installed sooner.

OrangeCounty

Star Member
Dec 24, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
WOW! HBeach78, that is a long drive. Now, I am inspired to drive from OC to Vancouver, BC for Landing :D (It is only half the distance you have covered!)

Thanks for the useful information!

VisaApprovalSent

Star Member
May 12, 2009
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HBeach78 ,

I am planning to land soon and was skeptical driving in the snow ( from Sacramento CA to Vancouver)
but reading your post has got me thinking .( though I am not a seasoned driver)

Icetax

Sep 28, 2008
HBeach78 said:
A recall letter from the manufacturer? Would that be to prove to Customs that there aren't any open recalls for the vehicle?

But for the original poster, Really consider getting a vehicle with an OEM block heater... or make sure you can get one that is compatible for what you have.

??? I'm a little slow - sorry about that but what is the block heater thing about?? Is the recall letter to prove there are not recalls??

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Icetax said:
??? I'm a little slow - sorry about that but what is the block heater thing about?? Is the recall letter to prove there are not recalls??
1. A block heater is installed in engine block and then when you park it is plugged into a power outlet to keep the coolant warm so your engine doesn't freeze up. Used in the colder parts of Canada in the winter. Also if you are living in the North or in the Prairies, a battery warmer is usually a good idea. Cars don't like to start at -40.
2. The recall letter is to prove that if there are any recalls on the car, the work has been done.

PMM

Icetax

Sep 28, 2008
Thanks PMM - I appreciate the info. I guess block heaters are not something absolutely needed for southern Ontario ! Appreciate the recall letter info as well. Cheers,

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
WHat is this talk about -40 degrees? I lived in Ottawa most of my life, and we had maybe 3-4 days each February when the temp dropped to -35 -- during the night. If the car is parked in a closed garage, no problems starting the next morning. For the REALLY cold nights, just put a 60 watt bulb on top of the engine, and that keeps the motor and battery warm enough. All this COLD talk is going to scare off good immigrants! LOL

Regarding driving from California to Vancouver, you'd have to be extremely unlucky to encounter snow, unless you detour through some mountain passes. It almost never snows in Vancouver. Last year's storm in December almost paralyzed the city for a month, because so few people know how to drive in snow, and the city has maybe 2 plows, so could not clear the side streets. In that situation,and ONLY that situation, would a 4 X 4 have been handy.
Even here, it's not so much the traction that you need as the height to clear the snow.

And in the summer, there are no moose roaming the streets of Vancouver, you might as well leave your skis at home, and there's no need to cary three days of emergency rations in the car trunk. Just trying to be helpful! LOL

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

toby said:
WHat is this talk about -40 degrees? I lived in Ottawa most of my life, and we had maybe 3-4 days each February when the temp dropped to -35 -- during the night. If the car is parked in a closed garage, no problems starting the next morning. For the REALLY cold nights, just put a 60 watt bulb on top of the engine, and that keeps the motor and battery warm enough. All this COLD talk is going to scare off good immigrants! LOL

Regarding driving from California to Vancouver, you'd have to be extremely unlucky to encounter snow, unless you detour through some mountain passes. It almost never snows in Vancouver. Last year's storm in December almost paralyzed the city for a month, because so few people know how to drive in snow, and the city has maybe 2 plows, so could not clear the side streets. In that situation,and ONLY that situation, would a 4 X 4 have been handy.
Even here, it's not so much the traction that you need as the height to clear the snow.

And in the summer, there are no moose roaming the streets of Vancouver, you might as well leave your skis at home, and there's no need to cary three days of emergency rations in the car trunk. Just trying to be helpful! LOL
If you lived in Prince George during the winter with no block heater, you aren't going anywhere the next morning.

PMM

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....