+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Car purchasing in US before softlanding

coolusa

Star Member
Sep 12, 2018
I am residing in US got the Canadian PPR. Looking forward to do softlanding in December. We have bought a house in USA.

1. Our plan is stay in US for first 2 yrs, move to Canada in next 3 yrs (daily commuting) , once we get the citizenship, come and stay in US and use TN visa.could you please shed some lights on this plan, any issues will occur for canada citizenship?
2. We are planning to buy our second car using autoloan.if we need to export this to Canada, we need to payoff this fully before export. Based on our above plan to comeback to US once citizenship gets,is it OK to keep the US registration without export (but will show vin in export list).?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
I am residing in US got the Canadian PPR. Looking forward to do softlanding in December. We have bought a house in USA.

1. Our plan is stay in US for first 2 yrs, move to Canada in next 3 yrs (daily commuting) , once we get the citizenship, come and stay in US and use TN visa.could you please shed some lights on this plan, any issues will occur for canada citizenship?
2. We are planning to buy our second car using autoloan.if we need to export this to Canada, we need to payoff this fully before export. Based on our above plan to comeback to US once citizenship gets,is it OK to keep the US registration without export (but will show vin in export list).?
No issues. You dont need to switch to TN unless you dont have H1 quota left(or didnt have 140 approved earlier).

Yes title should be clear before you export. I dont understand the "Keeping US registration" part. You cant keep the registration/plate valid if you dont have local insurance for the state. So once you export it, your title will get transferred and then you will register to the province in Canada. Once you move back to US, your registration and title again changes to US. Not a big deal. Few months ago i moved back and no issues of course.
Why are you concerned about US registration?

coolusa

Star Member
Sep 12, 2018
No issues. You dont need to switch to TN unless you dont have H1 quota left(or didnt have 140 approved earlier).

Yes title should be clear before you export. I dont understand the "Keeping US registration" part. You cant keep the registration/plate valid if you dont have local insurance for the state. So once you export it, your title will get transferred and then you will register to the province in Canada. Once you move back to US, your registration and title again changes to US. Not a big deal. Few months ago i moved back and no issues of course.
Why are you concerned about US registration?
Thank you....I have h1 and and approved I140. Car will be under a auto-loan. if i want to export the car to Canada, I need to pay in full (i am trying to understand whether I can avoid that paying off money, since the auto-loan can not be transferred from US to Canada). So thats why I am trying to keep the US registration. I am trying to get rid of this H1B and more direct opportunities using TN visa.
Since I have my own home in USA, I can keep the US title and insurance without export and can use the car in Canada?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thank you....I have h1 and and approved I140. Car will be under a auto-loan. if i want to export the car to Canada, I need to pay in full (i am trying to understand whether I can avoid that paying off money, since the auto-loan can not be transferred from US to Canada). So thats why I am trying to keep the US registration. I am trying to get rid of this H1B and more direct opportunities using TN visa.
Since I have my own home in USA, I can keep the US title and insurance without export and can use the car in Canada?
If you export the car then you cant keep the title and registration in US due to below reasons:
Without local insurance you cant renew the registration. To export you need clear title hence again it doesnt give a way to keep US registration.
To export, you need the title without lien holder.

There is a temporary import but its only for 1 year i think. Find more about that but its not for 3-4 years. I dont know if they allow to renew(i think they wont to avoid this kind of temporary import being abused).

TN has limited number of job codes which means that you have less number of titles you can apply/qualify for. TN is just a visa type without labor hassle. TN is not dual intent which means not easy to port to GC during which you will have to deal with right/good lawyer. TN is not something magical way to get rid of issues. Read more about TN first.

coolusa

Star Member
Sep 12, 2018
If you export the car then you cant keep the title and registration in US due to below reasons:
Without local insurance you cant renew the registration. To export you need clear title hence again it doesnt give a way to keep US registration.
To export, you need the title without lien holder.

There is a temporary import but its only for 1 year i think. Find more about that but its not for 3-4 years. I dont know if they allow to renew(i think they wont to avoid this kind of temporary import being abused).

TN has limited number of job codes which means that you have less number of titles you can apply/qualify for. TN is just a visa type without labor hassle. TN is not dual intent which means not easy to port to GC during which you will have to deal with right/good lawyer. TN is not something magical way to get rid of issues. Read more about TN first.
Thank you very much....regarding the car export to Canada, thats why we are thinking not to export car to Canada (our plan is move to Canada after 2 yrs, stay in Canada for next 3 yrs, get citizenship, come back to US and stay using h1B/TN visa). Since we have our own home in USA, if we show the home owners insurance/mortgage proof/one of utility bill in our name , I believe renewal of US DL and title renewal wont be an issue. Some US insurance covers in Canada also (at least progressive told me that, need to dig more into that)
1. If we are not exporting the car, during the soft-landing time I will include that VIN in things to follow list and never export to Canada. Is it possible?
2. Can I ride the US car in Canada say about 1 month ?
3. How did you manage to export your car to Canada if you had auto loan? Did you pay off fully? Auto-loan can be transferred? like Honda/GM/Chrysler financials USA to Honda/GM/Chrysler financials Canada?

Regarding TN visa, my job code qualifies in NAFTA list. Thank you for your comments regarding TN visa to GC pathway. I think I need to dig into that.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thank you very much....regarding the car export to Canada, thats why we are thinking not to export car to Canada (our plan is move to Canada after 2 yrs, stay in Canada for next 3 yrs, get citizenship, come back to US and stay using h1B/TN visa). Since we have our own home in USA, if we show the home owners insurance/mortgage proof/one of utility bill in our name , I believe renewal of US DL and title renewal wont be an issue. Some US insurance covers in Canada also (at least progressive told me that, need to dig more into that)
1. If we are not exporting the car, during the soft-landing time I will include that VIN in things to follow list and never export to Canada. Is it possible?
2. Can I ride the US car in Canada say about 1 month ?
3. How did you manage to export your car to Canada if you had auto loan? Did you pay off fully? Auto-loan can be transferred? like Honda/GM/Chrysler financials USA to Honda/GM/Chrysler financials Canada?

Regarding TN visa, my job code qualifies in NAFTA list. Thank you for your comments regarding TN visa to GC pathway. I think I need to dig into that.
During softlanding you can mention the cars you are taking during your permanent move.
During your permanent move, you cant take any of your owned car without importing-exporting.
I am still not clear on your import thing. Owning home is not a matter to get insurance in US/registration but i am talking about rules of not able to keep US registration without import but keep using in Canada.

Seems that you cant import it temporarily. I dont know much on it hence find out more.
https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transportation/importing-vehicle/temporarily-importing-vehicles
"Your vehicle can't be considered a temporary entry if you become a permanent resident."

Title should be clear to import. No loans per my understanding. Not sure about company provided vehicles.