+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Car Insurance in Toronto

pramodsoori

Star Member
Jan 11, 2019
Hi All, i am moving to Toronto( Scarborough) in 2 months from USA. I have 5 plus years of US driving experience and have Indian driving license from 2005.

I need to exchange my US driving license for the Canada G license.

Was checking the different insurance quotes and most of them are 300 per month. Is that normal for new comers or i am checking something wrong.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All, i am moving to Toronto( Scarborough) in 2 months from USA. I have 5 plus years of US driving experience and have Indian driving license from 2005.

Was checking the different insurance quotes and most of them are 300 per month. Is that normal for new comers or i am checking something wrong.
Unfortunately correct. One of the areas with the highest rates although high across Ontario.

pramodsoori

Star Member
Jan 11, 2019
Thanks Canuck, what are the other possible areas i need to look at for renting , which have less insurance rates.

My Office in Down town and would be using the public transportation anyways,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks Canuck, what are the other possible areas i need to look at for renting , which have less insurance rates.

My Office in Down town and would be using the public transportation anyways,
You should call an insurance agent. The price of rent may increase in different areas so it may not make sense to move. Having a car in Toronto is a huge expense but not much you can do about it. Only time and a clean driving record will lower your rates

red_rom

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto

It would be normal to expect higher quotes, if you started with no driving history (from any nation that you were licensed to drive) or started new in Canada. I was in a similar situation back when I moved to Toronto, but my driving experience in India, Drivers License Extract and No Claim Certificate from my previous insurer helped me greatly. Let me elaborate a bit so that you know the nuances, where you can get a great deal of reduction in your premium:
  • I got my Driving License extract from India, which was recognized by the MTO in Mississauga and that helped me jump start my G2 and G license, so I got my G1 the first week I landed, G2 in the next couple of weeks and G in a month - This accelerated G2/G license will give you a discount on your premium
  • No claim Certificate will help prove your safe driving history (they ask for 2-3 terms generally), if you any records from bad driving behavior, don't show them, which is obvious - This again reduced my premium by, any where between $15-$25 per month
  • Tell the insurance company that you will install Winter tires (From Dec 1 - Mar 31) give you a good premium reduction - This did give me a decent discount
  • If possible try getting a certificate from a driving school, they charged me $150, but it was worth as it reduced my premium again
  • If you are not using your car for Office / Work commute, as you mentioned, that will again reduce the mileage and give you some more discount
  • There is one final thing that would reduce your premium, this is the app that insurance companies want you to install on your mobile - This will greatly reduce your premiums over time - I have reduced my premiums between 23%-38% per month with this, give me a DM if you want to know the trick ;)
Besides, there is one issue with the Postal Code, if you are in the Mississauga, Brampton, Markham, Scarborough, some specific high risk regions, your basic premium is going to shoot up $200-$250, it may be hard to believe, but I have experienced, most people would concur. Hope it helps.

Reactions: pramodsoori

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It would be normal to expect higher quotes, if you started with no driving history (from any nation that you were licensed to drive) or started new in Canada. I was in a similar situation back when I moved to Toronto, but my driving experience in India, Drivers License Extract and No Claim Certificate from my previous insurer helped me greatly. Let me elaborate a bit so that you know the nuances, where you can get a great deal of reduction in your premium:
  • I got my Driving License extract from India, which was recognized by the MTO in Mississauga and that helped me jump start my G2 and G license, so I got my G1 the first week I landed, G2 in the next couple of weeks and G in a month - This accelerated G2/G license will give you a discount on your premium
  • No claim Certificate will help prove your safe driving history (they ask for 2-3 terms generally), if you any records from bad driving behavior, don't show them, which is obvious - This again reduced my premium by, any where between $15-$25 per month
  • Tell the insurance company that you will install Winter tires (From Dec 1 - Mar 31) give you a good premium reduction - This did give me a decent discount
  • If possible try getting a certificate from a driving school, they charged me $150, but it was worth as it reduced my premium again
  • If you are not using your car for Office / Work commute, as you mentioned, that will again reduce the mileage and give you some more discount
  • There is one final thing that would reduce your premium, this is the app that insurance companies want you to install on your mobile - This will greatly reduce your premiums over time - I have reduced my premiums between 23%-38% per month with this, give me a DM if you want to know the trick ;)
Besides, there is one issue with the Postal Code, if you are in the Mississauga, Brampton, Markham, Scarborough, some specific high risk regions, your basic premium is going to shoot up $200-$250, it may be hard to believe, but I have experienced, most people would concur. Hope it helps.
To qualify for reductions for attending driving school you actually have to attend the courses. If both you and the driving school arranged to pay for a certificate that is fraud.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No, I didn't.
The whole point in the reduced rate was that those who have taken professional driving instructions are less likely to have accidents. Assume there was some data or else I can't imagine the insurance companies would agree to the reduced rate.

red_rom

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
The whole point in the reduced rate was that those who have taken professional driving instructions are less likely to have accidents. Assume there was some data or else I can't imagine the insurance companies would agree to the reduced rate.
I think you got my reply mixed up. My response was to clarify your claim ".....If both you and the driving school arranged to pay for a certificate that is fraud." The certificate comes as a part of the course.

gurpreet.ts

May 6, 2017
Toronto

I think 300 is a reasonable amount for a newcomer, you can check with any insurance broker to get quotes from different companies. Desjardins and Cooperators usually provide competitive rates. Please do check out insurance companies like Onlia and Sonnet, they operate without any brokers and might be able to provide you with the cheapest rates. Good luck with your move!

Reactions: pramodsoori

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Where you live still has a huge factor. Brampton has the highest rates in Ontario I believe. Definitely worth it to take a defensive driving course, get winter tires for safety and insurance reasons, etc.