+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

car in the usa...

unoy_po

Sep 7, 2009
hi i am moving to canada on work permit soon, my brother in law who is in the US will give his car to me once i settle everything in alberta. here is my concern, the car title was named on his. do you think this will be a problem to me?
i appreciate any concern about this.

thanks much.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Isnt there a rule that you must have owned the car for 6 months before you are exempted from taxes?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Alabaman said:
Isnt there a rule that you must have owned the car for 6 months before you are exempted from taxes?
The OP isn't emigrating, so the car would be admitted for the length of his work permit and would have to be removed at the end of that time.

PMM

unoy_po

Sep 7, 2009
to PMM

hi PMM, so you mean i can import the car with no problem as well as my other personal items like laptop, here is my other question... let say in the future i apply for PNP and got my PR how can i get all my belongings in the USA is this possible...

thanks again.

kumbu.bumbu

Jan 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2014
As you are not immigrating you may have to pay little duty depending on the value of the car and also Canadian conversion charges, registration and inspection charges. All excluding duty would come around $ 500. You cannot drive US registered car in Canada more than 30 days. Bring the title in your name(I am not sure about signed off title). Call RIV or check their web site. They are very responsive. Also get recall clearance letters from manufacturers.

unoy_po

Sep 7, 2009
hi... let say my brother in law will buy a car for me within the couple of next weeks (planning to cross boarder on the first week of february) and he will give it to make with paperworks (from his name to my name), can i still drive the car and use it to canada? do i have to fill up some paper works. my work permit will be valid for one year. do i have to submit paperworks for my personal belongings too!
how about in the span of my work permit and my employer petition(PNP) me. what will happen to all my declared goodies(the first time i enter canada), how about all the furniture i still have in the usa, do i have to declare it during my pnp application or during landing.
i am almost halfway of my application and i am very thankful for all input and advice you given to me..thanks again for all your help..