+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Car Import Modifications

passportwait

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
I recently imported my car in Windsor from US. I already paid the $350 fees online and have received the inspection form from RIV.

1) I have 2015 Hyundai Sonata and the modifications list they have sent is too long. Wondering if I really need to get all of these modifications done or is it general?

2) Also where can I get these modifications done? Should I just find a hyundai dealership near me or it has to be an authorized center?

3) Also any idea on the cost of these modifications?

Please advise.

[ ] This vehicle requires an infant restraint kit, unless it is a convertible.
[ ] SPEEDOMETER: shall be calibrated in kilometers per hour or both kilometers per hour and miles per hour.
Digital speedometers that switch between kilometers per hour and miles per hour are permitted if the unit of
measure is identified
[ ] INSPECTION CENTRE: attach miles odometer label if required.
[ ] This vehicle requires a French SRS Maintenance label if it is equipped with an airbag that requires periodic
maintenance or replacement.
[ ] Air bag equipped vehicles are required to have functioning air bags at time of inspection.
[ ] Clutch ignition interlock for manual transmission for vehicles manufactured after May 2005 with GVWR is less
than 10 000lbs: - the clutch pedal must be depressed or the drive train must be disengaged in order to start the
vehicle, otherwise the vehicle will fail the inspection.
[ ] Please contact RIV if this vehicle does not bear a Statement of Compliance label certifying the vehicle met all
US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards on the date of manufacture.
[ ] ELECTRONIC IMMOBILIZER SYSTEM [EIS]: verification of the presence of the EIS was completed using a
[ ] keyless drive [ ]key validation machine [ ]aluminium foil test [ ] RIV approved OEM letter [ ]Monroney
label. Or EIS is not required because the vehicle [ ] GVWR is greater than 10,000 lbs or was [ ] manufactured
prior to Sept 1, 2007
[ ] DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS: When testing for DRL, the light switch was in the [ ] off [ ] on [ ] auto
position?
[ ] Please verify that all the information in Section 1 matches the vehicle
[ ] FLOOD DAMAGE: please contact RIV immediately if there are any signs of water damage

jaganv117

Star Member
Apr 24, 2019
All these are mostly already available in US cars.

The only thing which usually requires modification is the Daytime running lights. I am assuming since it's a 2015 model, it should also be there by default.

Just check if your DRL is still ON, even when you turn the light knob to OFF position. If it is, then you are all set. Take it to a Canadian tire and get it inspected.

Also, the SRS label, if you don't find any french translation in yours, go to this link, printout and just paste it. Most inspections don't look at this seriously, but some may be picky.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/canada/471635-air-bag-sticker-photo.html

Mat909

Mar 8, 2018
Did you had any issues with the odometer, for me the inspection failed with reason "odometer units are in miles"