+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can't confirm ETA after approved PR

mcrib79

Jun 14, 2023
So my wife's PR was cancelled (we got approved but then did not arrive before their due date - I emailed them to ask for leniency but they did not consider). Anyways PR is cancelled, but now we want to fly to Canada. However when I check to see if my wife's eTA is still valid, there is no confirmation of my wife's eTA on the "check status" tool on the site. It's just some empty blanks so no confirmation my wife's eTA (approved January 2019). Passport expires in 2029. I emailed them well over a month ago but they never replied.

So did my wife's initial approval of my wife's PR cancel the eTA? Now, what do I do that we want to fly to Canada? Anyone experience this? Thank you in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So my wife's PR was cancelled (we got approved but then did not arrive before their due date - I emailed them to ask for leniency but they did not consider). Anyways PR is cancelled, but now we want to fly to Canada. However when I check to see if my wife's eTA is still valid, there is no confirmation of my wife's eTA on the "check status" tool on the site. It's just some empty blanks so no confirmation my wife's eTA (approved January 2019). Passport expires in 2029. I emailed them well over a month ago but they never replied.

So did my wife's initial approval of my wife's PR cancel the eTA? Now, what do I do that we want to fly to Canada? Anyone experience this? Thank you in advance
Your situation is super unique and I doubt anyone here has had the same experience. The most we can do is guess. If I were in your shoes, I think I would apply for the eTA again. But just me guessing. This isn't based on any experience or knowledge of this specific situation. Like I said, this is very unique.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The ETA was automatically cancelled when her PR was approved. She needs to reapply for another one.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/eta/eligibility.html
"You don’t need an eTA or a visitor visa if you’re a Canadian permanent resident. However, you must travel with a valid permanent resident card or permanent resident travel document."
What you've quoted doesn't apply to the OP's situation. The OP's spouse never landed in Canada and never became a PR.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
OP started two threads. Suggested that OP’s spouse reapply for ETA. COPR expired and spouse needs to decide whether to reapply, and land eventually as PR.

comarxx

Jan 12, 2012
Manila
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
But does it makes her eta got cancelled because they have to put instead the temporary PR visa on her passport?

Reactions: mcrib79

mcrib79

Jun 14, 2023
OP started two threads. Suggested that OP’s spouse reapply for ETA. COPR expired and spouse needs to decide whether to reapply, and land eventually as PR.
Yup...didn't know that other one was those coming from the US, which I am not

mcrib79

Jun 14, 2023
Your situation is super unique and I doubt anyone here has had the same experience. The most we can do is guess. If I were in your shoes, I think I would apply for the eTA again. But just me guessing. This isn't based on any experience or knowledge of this specific situation. Like I said, this is very unique.
So do they cancel your ETA when you're approved for PR? Unless I inputed something weird so that they can't confirm it on the IRCC site. What would be another way to confirm ETA is there?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
But does it makes her eta got cancelled because they have to put instead the temporary PR visa on her passport?
Normally the eTA or TRV isn't canceled until the person lands in Canada and actually becomes a PR. But the OP's situation is very unique. So hard to guess.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So do they cancel your ETA when you're approved for PR? Unless I inputed something weird so that they can't confirm it on the IRCC site. What would be another way to confirm ETA is there?
No. Normally this does not happen. Normally the eTA / TRV isn't canceled until you actually land in Canada and become a PR.

I'm not aware of a sure way to confirm the eTA is valid (apart from going to the airport and trying to fly to Canada and seeing what happens).

mcrib79

Jun 14, 2023
No. Normally this does not happen. Normally the eTA / TRV isn't canceled until you actually land in Canada and become a PR.

I'm not aware of a sure way to confirm the eTA is valid (apart from going to the airport and trying to fly to Canada and seeing what happens).
Well, appreciate your help and time. I will update you on what happens. Thanks again

irinaaas11

Star Member
Aug 1, 2019
What you've quoted doesn't apply to the OP's situation. The OP's spouse never landed in Canada and never became a PR.
The moment the PR application is approved and COPR is issued, the ETA is cancelled, regardless if they land or not. Google it.

comarxx

Jan 12, 2012
Manila
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The moment the PR application is approved and COPR is issued, the ETA is cancelled, regardless if they land or not. Google it.
Yes that is my guess too. Because you cannot have a temporary PR visa and trv at the same time. It’s redundant. But is it confirmed? Was it in official website of Canada?

mcrib79

Jun 14, 2023
Ok, so for those who failed to land (expired approved PR) have to get another ETA? That doesn't seem right.

comarxx

Jan 12, 2012
Manila
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
On a side note. What happens with your PR application now? Do you have to start all over again?