+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can't bring my cats to calgary

Jazcan

Jun 1, 2013
:( we will be arriving in Calgary from the UK August 2015 and very excited. We want to bring out cats but we we were devastated to learn about the weird bylaw in place there which prevents cats being allowed to roam freely off your property. Our cats are outdoor free spirits in the uk and now we feel we cannot bring them here as it would be cruel to keep them inside. Any suggestions as to what we could do? It's heartbreaking leaving them behind :-( thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Which building in Calgary? I seen cats roamed freely near the Bow river.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
Well, cannot say anything about Calgary, but our cat used to live outside before we moved to Vancouver. Now she is an indoor cat and loves it. Goes out onto the balcony and enjoys to watch the cars from the 14th floor. Spends her days sleeping on the couch, the nights scanning the neighborhood.

So, our cat adapted and we are glad to have brought her here..

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
With temperatures around -40c your free spirited outdoor cats will literally become spirits. It would be a good idea to domesticate them

BCKev

Star Member
Nov 20, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Kiev
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2010
Doc's Request.
02-08-2013
AOR Received.
13-12-2013
File Transfer...
06-02-2014
Med's Request
26-06-2014
Med's Done....
25-07-2014
Passport Req..
25-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
22-11-2014
Jazcan said:
:( we will be arriving in Calgary from the UK August 2015 and very excited. We want to bring out cats but we we were devastated to learn about the weird bylaw in place there which prevents cats being allowed to roam freely off your property. Our cats are outdoor free spirits in the uk and now we feel we cannot bring them here as it would be cruel to keep them inside. Any suggestions as to what we could do? It's heartbreaking leaving them behind :-( thanks
Are you aware of systems like this: http://petscontained.com/petsafe-cat-fences

It would allow your cats to have some time outside, and still comply with the Calgary bylaw.

Jazcan

Jun 1, 2013
Is the pet containment system you linked me to any good for preventing cats from going outside the house/flat or is it only something you can install in the garden to stop them leaving the the garden? We haven't actually arrived in Canada yet and when we first arrive we will not have our own property for at least a year or 18 months..so this has to be taken into account too.

BCKev

Star Member
Nov 20, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Kiev
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2010
Doc's Request.
02-08-2013
AOR Received.
13-12-2013
File Transfer...
06-02-2014
Med's Request
26-06-2014
Med's Done....
25-07-2014
Passport Req..
25-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
22-11-2014
Jazcan said:
Is the pet containment system you linked me to any good for preventing cats from going outside the house/flat or is it only something you can install in the garden to stop them leaving the the garden? We haven't actually arrived in Canada yet and when we first arrive we will not have our own property for at least a year or 18 months..so this has to be taken into account too.
It is something you install outside. Basicaly you bury a cable in the ground or run it along a fence around your garden, and the cat(s) wear a collar. When a cat gets close to the cable, some type of alarm is given off. Unfortunately I do not have any direct experience with these systems, and only offer it as a suggestion.

On the same link I gave you, there is different system for use indoors that could be used to keep cats away from certain areas inside a house. An example would be keeping them away from doors.

As mentioned upthread, another option would be to live outside of the city limits. As an example, there are quite a few people who live in the city of Airdrie and work in Calgary. There is no cat bylaw in Airdrie: http://www.airdrie.ca/index.cfm?serviceID=117

Hope you can find a workable solution.