+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cannot receive verification code for IRCC portal login

luzd0405

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
TL;DR: cannot log into the IRCC portal because email never receives the verification code

I submitted my MIL's visitor visa application through the IRCC portal in July. It was normal for the first 1.5 months - she received all the usual docs upon submission and submitted her biometrics per IRCC's request. All was smooth sailing until two weeks ago when we tried to log into her account to check the application status. The portal requested a verification code which was supposed to be sent to her email (Gmail) for the login. It seemed easy, but her email never got the code.

We've tried for weeks and, after countless attempts, still no code! We also tried to change the login password, and guess what? A verification code is required! We submitted a technical difficulties web form, and god knows how long it will take them to respond. But at least she got emails for the web form submission, so we know her email is not the issue here.

Has anyone experienced something like this? Any suggestions are appreciated.

kumarh2020

Sep 15, 2020
TL;DR: cannot log into the IRCC portal because email never receives the verification code

I submitted my MIL's visitor visa application through the IRCC portal in July. It was normal for the first 1.5 months - she received all the usual docs upon submission and submitted her biometrics per IRCC's request. All was smooth sailing until two weeks ago when we tried to log into her account to check the application status. The portal requested a verification code which was supposed to be sent to her email (Gmail) for the login. It seemed easy, but her email never got the code.

We've tried for weeks and, after countless attempts, still no code! We also tried to change the login password, and guess what? A verification code is required! We submitted a technical difficulties web form, and god knows how long it will take them to respond. But at least she got emails for the web form submission, so we know her email is not the issue here.

Did you check the junk mail and spam folders? Maybe the email address registered has a typing error?

luzd0405

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
Did you check the junk mail and spam folders? Maybe the email address registered has a typing error?
yes, we always checked the spam, but nothing there.

We successfully registered the account with the email address and had no issue logging in for the initial months after creating the account. We're confident we have the correct email address. Also, if we put in the incorrect email address, the verification page wouldn't even pop up, it'll just say the account doesn't exist.

kumarh2020

Sep 15, 2020

We successfully registered the account with the email address and had no issue logging in for the initial months after creating the account. We're confident we have the correct email address. Also, if we put in the incorrect email address, the verification page wouldn't even pop up, it'll just say the account doesn't exist.
Strange. Why is it asking for verification code in first place? Are you accessing your account from a different country than the one you initially registered in?

kumarh2020

Sep 15, 2020

Can you share screen shot of what you’re seeing? Possible few shots of asking code, to sending / etc

luzd0405

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
Strange. Why is it asking for verification code in first place? Are you accessing your account from a different country than the one you initially registered in?
Yes, I submitted the application in China before coming back to Canada. However, I managed to log in without any issues from Canada until two weeks ago. If anything, I think it might be because I tried to use my wife's computer instead of mine.

luzd0405

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
Can you share screen shot of what you’re seeing? Possible few shots of asking code, to sending / etc
As much as I want to post screenshots, it's annoying to post pictures here. I'll just copy and paste what the prompt says.

After clicking the log in button:

"A verification code has been sent to the email address you used to sign up for an IRCC Portal account. You need this code to sign in.

You must use the code within 3 minutes of receiving it.

• If you did not have time to do so, click the Request a new code button on this page to get an email with a new code."

And after clicking "request a new code":

"A new verification code has been sent to the email you used to create your IRCC Portal account. Make sure to check your email junk mail folder. Some spam filters may block our emails."

And if I click "request a new code" again:

"There were issues submitting your form.
  • You just clicked the Request new code button. You need to wait at least 60 seconds to click this button again. Check your email junk mail folder in case the email with a new code is in that folder. Some spam filters may block our emails."
That's it. I keep hitting the same deadend.

kumarh2020

Sep 15, 2020
As much as I want to post screenshots, it's annoying to post pictures here. I'll just copy and paste what the prompt says.

"A verification code has been sent to the email address you used to sign up for an IRCC Portal account. You need this code to sign in.

• If you did not have time to do so, click the Request a new code button on this page to get an email with a new code."

"A new verification code has been sent to the email you used to create your IRCC Portal account. Make sure to check your email junk mail folder. Some spam filters may block our emails."

• You just clicked the Request new code button. You need to wait at least 60 seconds to click this button again. Check your email junk mail folder in case the email with a new code is in that folder. Some spam filters may block our emails."
I applied for my relatives from Canada, currently I’m in India visiting, and I get this every time. But I also receive an email and the code is I’ll show you how:

Sign-in verification - IRCC Portal / Vérification d'ouverture de session - Portail d'IRCC

Le français suit l'anglais

Here is your verification code to enter on the IRCC Portal sign-in verification page: [429321].

This code will allow you to sign in to your IRCC Portal account. Each time you sign in, you'll get a new verification code.

You must use this code within 3 minutesof receiving it.

• If you did not use it within 3 minutes, you'll need to return to the sign-in page and sign in again to get a new code sent to this email address.
Why we send you a verification code to sign in to your IRCC Portal account
The verification code is part of an improved security measure called multi-factor authentication. It helps protect your personal information by preventing unauthorized access to your IRCC Portal account.

kumarh2020

Sep 15, 2020

It didn’t matter what I used, our devices are same. But different internet and location I assume. Try using a VPN that pings back to China so it sees you’re in China. But not receiving code email id weird. I get it every time.

Mhst

Sep 16, 2022

Iuzd0405,

hey, I have exactly the same issue which started on the 13th! I applied for Study Permit on July 21st then got the first notice from IRCC stating additional documents are required, which means at least things are moving forward after waiting over 6 weeks.
So I tried to sign in, then it keeps on asking me verification code which I never ever get. I checked spam, my server and did everything I could but I’m still stuck. I sent inquiries through
their webform, as always suggested by IRCC, yet no response is back. I’m so worried if time runs out before I get to sign in my account. The school obviously started this month and I’m just left out here in Japan.

Last edited:

luzd0405

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
Iuzd0405,

hey, I have exactly the same issue which started on the 13th! I applied for Study Permit on July 21st then got the first notice from IRCC stating additional documents are required, which means at least things are moving forward after waiting over 6 weeks.
So I tried to sign in, then it keeps on asking me verification code which I never ever get. I checked spam, my server and did everything I could but I’m still stuck. I sent inquiries through
their webform, as always suggested by IRCC, yet no response is back. I’m so worried if time runs out before I get to sign in my account. The school obviously started this month and I’m just left out here in Japan.
That sucks. Welp, at least we know we are not alone.

I actually just received a reply for the web form. It basically says they don't know what went wrong because I didn't provide them with screenshots. It suggested opening a new GCKey account and linking the application to the new account. I tried but failed because "Based on the information you entered, you tried to link to an application that was submitted through the IRCC Portal. These applications can't be linked to this account. " I guess they don't know how their own systems work, either.:rolleyes: Lastly, the email says "Rest assured that you will be informed as soon as a decision is made or if additional information is needed." I suppose it means I can still get email updates on the important stuff and don't need to log into the portal account and check the progress.

Edit: I also tried creating a new IRCC portal account, but the new account cannot be linked to an application created by another account.

Last edited:

luzd0405

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
UPDATE: I managed to receive the verification today, only to, unfortunately, find out my MIL's application was refused. Maybe the refusal has something to do with the login problem?

Mhst

Sep 16, 2022
UPDATE: I managed to receive the verification today, only to, unfortunately, find out my MIL's application was refused. Maybe the refusal has something to do with the login problem?
I don’t think the refusal is related to the login problem. Given the application status can only be confirmed after logging in, it must have been another problem. But you did managed after all! How did you solve? The only thing that I think of as its cause is the email that I used to apply does not have SSL server certificate. Maybe IRCC’s security requires SSL to receive the code.
I’m sorry to hear your application has been rejected. Is there any second chance?

luzd0405

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
I don’t think the refusal is related to the login problem. Given the application status can only be confirmed after logging in, it must have been another problem. But you did managed after all! How did you solve? The only thing that I think of as its cause is the email that I used to apply does not have SSL server certificate. Maybe IRCC’s security requires SSL to receive the code.
I’m sorry to hear your application has been rejected. Is there any second chance?
Nothing special, really. I submitted another web form with more details last Thursday, so I don't believe they have yet had time to check it. When I tried logging in a few hours ago, it worked, like, just out of the blue.

We have yet to get the refusal letter, only know about the rejection through a status update. We can't make a plan without first knowing what went wrong.

Last edited:

Mhst

Sep 16, 2022
Nothing special, really. I submitted another web form with more details last Thursday, so I don't believe they have yet had time to check it. When I tried logging in a few hours ago, it worked, like, just out of the blue.
Wow, I guess that’s the way they are as it’s always said… I don’t think they’ve checked your last inquiry, either. I hope you’ll get the visa as soon as possible.