+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

cancer issue

Jan 27, 2015
Dear all,
I have been diagnosed with breast cancer after I got my visa as PR under FSW. I am the principa; applicant.When they asked for medical report nothing appeared. I asked for check up immediately after I got my visa and I was diagnosed with grade three cancer. I have landed in Feb 2015 for one week them back to my country to start the treatment process. I have provided an address from inside Canada for PR card. I started chemotherapy in Jordan and this is my forth dose. We are planning to settele in Canada in ON. I did not get the health insurance card yet and we are going to apply for it in May. I have questions:
1. Will I be covered in the medical insurance? Is not it my right to be covered. I did not lie at any stage of the immigration process.
2. If I get my medical insurance, will I continue the treatment process immediately? I heard that it may take months to get a family doctor appointment. when I asked cancer hospital there they refused to deal with any case without referal.
3. what is your advice to my?
Thank you

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Inshallahkheir said:
Dear all,
I have been diagnosed with breast cancer after I got my visa as PR under FSW. I am the principa; applicant.When they asked for medical report nothing appeared. I asked for check up immediately after I got my visa and I was diagnosed with grade three cancer. I have landed in Feb 2015 for one week them back to my country to start the treatment process. I have provided an address from inside Canada for PR card. I started chemotherapy in Jordan and this is my forth dose. We are planning to settele in Canada in ON. I did not get the health insurance card yet and we are going to apply for it in May. I have questions:
1. Will I be covered in the medical insurance? Is not it my right to be covered. I did not lie at any stage of the immigration process.
2. If I get my medical insurance, will I continue the treatment process immediately? I heard that it may take months to get a family doctor appointment. when I asked cancer hospital there they refused to deal with any case without referal.
3. what is your advice to my?
Thank you
The problem with Ontario is you have to live in the province for 3 months before you qualify for medical coverage. Not all provinces have 3-month wait period so you might want to check individually but if I remember correctly in Alberta and Quebec you get your medical coverage as soon as you move there, you need to provide an address though.

Now finding a family doctor and getting referral through him/her may take long. You should ask the cancer centre if they would take referral from urgent care or emergency doctors. Those you can see the same day but I am not sure how long it will take them to refer you. If you take all your papers and show them you have already been diagnosed and undergoing treatment then they may order your x-rays and scans immediately so you can get you referral faster.