+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cancelling Live-in Caregiver not yet arrived in Canada

twinboss

Mar 4, 2010
Hi All,

I am in the process of sponsoring a Live-In Caregiver. Everything has been done, she is just waiting on her Visa to be stamped by the Canadian Embassy in the Philippines. My hours of work at my job have just been cut and I am no longer in need of a full-time caregiver and I can no longer afford one, so unfortunately I have to cancel.

What are my rights as an employer as she is not even here yet?

Also, I feel terrible for her, I want to be able to help her by reimbursing her some of the costs she has had to incure - can anyone tell me how much $ she would have invested in this process at this point - visa application and medical costs?

Thanks!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
twinboss said:
Hi All,

I am in the process of sponsoring a Live-In Caregiver. Everything has been done, she is just waiting on her Visa to be stamped by the Canadian Embassy in the Philippines. My hours of work at my job have just been cut and I am no longer in need of a full-time caregiver and I can no longer afford one, so unfortunately I have to cancel.

What are my rights as an employer as she is not even here yet?

Also, I feel terrible for her, I want to be able to help her by reimbursing her some of the costs she has had to incure - can anyone tell me how much $ she would have invested in this process at this point - visa application and medical costs?

Thanks!
You would be kinder to her if you did not cancel now while she is still waiting for her work permit/visa. Let her come to Canada and once here she can find another employer. There are a lot of families looking for live in caregivers. Please.

twinboss

Mar 4, 2010
I would think that if I waited until she arrived in Canada, she would be stranded with no job or place to live? We can simply not afford to pay her anymore as our family income has been cut dramatically. I really want to be fair to her though. Where would she go and how would she make money if she arrived here with not job?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

twinboss said:
I would think that if I waited until she arrived in Canada, she would be stranded with no job or place to live? We can simply not afford to pay her anymore as our family income has been cut dramatically. I really want to be fair to her though. Where would she go and how would she make money if she arrived here with not job?
Probably be fairer to cancel now. If she arrives and CBSA contacts you, and there is no job, she will be returned.

PMM

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's hard to say what kind of costs she has paid already. The work permit is not expensive at all but they often come through agencies which charge them thousands of $ to get them a job. If she did, maybe the agency will help her find another job, maybe not.

I think you should tell her what the situation is and together you can figure out what the options are. Maybe she would want the opportunity to come to Canada, even if there is no job for her and she has to take care of her own living arrangements while she looks for another employer. It would be easier for her to find another employer from inside Canada than to start from scratch in the Philippines. She may not be left without a place to live as she may have relatives or friends somewhere in Canada already.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Leon said:
It's hard to say what kind of costs she has paid already. The work permit is not expensive at all but they often come through agencies which charge them thousands of $ to get them a job. If she did, maybe the agency will help her find another job, maybe not.

I think you should tell her what the situation is and together you can figure out what the options are. Maybe she would want the opportunity to come to Canada, even if there is no job for her and she has to take care of her own living arrangements while she looks for another employer. It would be easier for her to find another employer from inside Canada than to start from scratch in the Philippines. She may not be left without a place to live as she may have relatives or friends somewhere in Canada already.
Very true Leon. Employers are more inclined to get people who are already in Canada. It is 18 months versus 27 days of wait time.