+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cancelling a rental agreement

Sep 12, 2021
Can I cancel a rental agreement after I signed it for my house for certain circumstances? , I don't yet give the keys to the tenants and date the tenants to come in is still not yet
How can I cancel this ? And what is the outcome?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Can I cancel a rental agreement after I signed it for my house for certain circumstances? , I don't yet give the keys to the tenants and date the tenants to come in is still not yet
Not an immigration issue but what does your rental agreement state about you cancelling? Did you both sign the contract? If so, the contact is a binding agreement. The renter can sue for break of agreement and for all costs incurred for the cancellation (movers, accomodations etc.)

Reactions: YVR123
Sep 12, 2021
yes we both sign the contract , but the tenant moving date didn't come yet , he didn't move anything or come at all, we just sign the contract and that's it
so, i want to know what is the outcoome if i cancel in this case?

Sep 12, 2021
It will only settle on a penalty to be paid or there is something else? , or there is no penalty or anything to be done just to tell him only

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
yes we both sign the contract , but the tenant moving date didn't come yet , he didn't move anything or come at all, we just sign the contract and that's it
so, i want to know what is the outcoome if i cancel in this case?
You must have put a date in the contract when possession takes place. If not, what's the point of renting something to someone?

Sep 12, 2021
the date is written in the contract but it doesn't come yet , a new circumstances occured to me so i want to cancel the contract but their moving date don't come yet, i am still in the house and i wil continue in it , is there any legal actions can be taken against me ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
the date is written in the contract but it doesn't come yet , a new circumstances occured to me so i want to cancel the contract but their moving date don't come yet, i am still in the house and i wil continue in it , is there any legal actions can be taken against me ?
If you signed a contract, they can sue you for breach of contract.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
If you signed a contract, they can sue you for breach of contract.
Correct. The contract contains both party names, the object in question and the date. If you now change your mind and your tenants want to move in, you have no leg to stand on.
Unless both parties agree to walk away from the contract, there is nothing you can do.

Sep 12, 2021
How soon are the tenants supposed to move in? When did they sign the lease? Was it a year long lease?
yes it is a year long contract i signed it from 5 days ago and the are supposed to move in after 4 days from now , but they didn't take the keys and they didn't put anything of their belongings as i am still in the house and i am supposed to continue in it due to my new circumstances

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
yes it is a year long contract i signed it from 5 days ago and the are supposed to move in after 4 days from now , but they didn't take the keys and they didn't put anything of their belongings as i am still in the house and i am supposed to continue in it due to my new circumstances
Why would they get the keys and move stuff in now if they aren’t supposed to move in for another 4 days (when contract starts)? In 4 days, if they show up, they have a contract to move into the house. You have a signed agreement. If you don’t let them move in then they can sue you for breach of contract. If they sue, You may be expected to for paying for their accommodations, moving expense, time off work if need to look for another place etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I think you need to understand exactly what you signed . It’s a legally binding contract . You agreed to rent out your house for a period of one year , commencing on xxx date. Just because your circumstances changed , doesn’t negate the fact you signed said contract .
That’s irrelevant
This is why contracts are signed .
I’d be calling movers & start packing
Otherwise in four days you’re liable to have one hell of a mess. One EXPENSIVE mess

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023
Buenas tardes,

Requiero de su amable colaboración, tengo un contrato de subarrendamiento verbal, sin clausulas de permanencia en el inmueble, mi esposo desafortunadamente obtuvo una lesion de rodilla y po cuestiones medicas tenemos que retornar a nuestro pais, avisamos a nuestra arrendadora de este inconveniente y para no afectarla desidimos quedarnos hasta el 15 de octubre y buscar la forma de ayudarla a rentar el apartamento, ella nos solicito que de igual forma le cancelaramos la renta de este mes y que al momento de rentarlo nos devolvia el dinero de los 15 dias restantes y de un deposito que nos solicito al inicio, a hora no dice que no nos va a devolver los 15 dias restantes del mes y que si no logra rentarlo para noviembre taambien debemos asumir ese costo, estamos muy afectados con esta situacion ya que nos sentimos vulnerados y no contamos con ayuda.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Buenas tardes,

Requiero de su amable colaboración, tengo un contrato de subarrendamiento verbal, sin clausulas de permanencia en el inmueble, mi esposo desafortunadamente obtuvo una lesion de rodilla y po cuestiones medicas tenemos que retornar a nuestro pais, avisamos a nuestra arrendadora de este inconveniente y para no afectarla desidimos quedarnos hasta el 15 de octubre y buscar la forma de ayudarla a rentar el apartamento, ella nos solicito que de igual forma le cancelaramos la renta de este mes y que al momento de rentarlo nos devolvia el dinero de los 15 dias restantes y de un deposito que nos solicito al inicio, a hora no dice que no nos va a devolver los 15 dias restantes del mes y que si no logra rentarlo para noviembre taambien debemos asumir ese costo, estamos muy afectados con esta situacion ya que nos sentimos vulnerados y no contamos con ayuda.
No comprende nada