Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
Havana
App. Filed.......
09-01-2018
AOR Received.
28-02-2018
Hello
I was in a common-law relationship and unfortunately it has broken apart. My common-law partner has been granted 'conditional PR' meaning we need to be common-law for two years before his condition PR becomes permanent PR...however it's been only a year and half.
Where do I report our change of status? Does anyone have information about what happened to the sponsored person who had conditional PR and no longer lives as common law?

Also, as for me (the sponsor), how long is my bar before I can sponsor someone new? I have read 3 years and 5 years.
Thanks

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
lienocka17 said:
Where do I report our change of status? Does anyone have information about what happened to the sponsored person who had conditional PR and no longer lives as common law?

Also, as for me (the sponsor), how long is my bar before I can sponsor someone new? I have read 3 years and 5 years.
Thanks
I believe you can just contact the call centre to report the relationship breakdown, or at least they'll give you a specific contact info.

Once reported, CIC will investigate. They may revoke the PR status, or they may not, this is entirely up to CIC. Though if the PR no longer complies with Condition 51 and there was no case of abuse, then I don't see why they wouldn't revoke it.

Your sponsorship ban for someone new is just your duration of current undertaking. So if they cancel your partners PR, that releases you from your undertaking and you can sponsor someone new immediately (or at least as long as it takes to become common-law/married again).

If they let your partner keep their PR, then your undertaking for them continues so you need to wait 3 years from when they became PR to sponsor someone else.

lienocka17

Jul 24, 2016
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
Havana
App. Filed.......
09-01-2018
AOR Received.
28-02-2018
Rob_TO said:
I believe you can just contact the call centre to report the relationship breakdown, or at least they'll give you a specific contact info.

Once reported, CIC will investigate. They may revoke the PR status, or they may not, this is entirely up to CIC. Though if the PR no longer complies with Condition 51 and there was no case of abuse, then I don't see why they wouldn't revoke it.

Your sponsorship ban for someone new is just your duration of current undertaking. So if they cancel your partners PR, that releases you from your undertaking and you can sponsor someone new immediately (or at least as long as it takes to become common-law/married again).

If they let your partner keep their PR, then your undertaking for them continues so you need to wait 3 years from when they became PR to sponsor someone else.
Thanks this is really helpful!